Pirate 4x4 banner

205 mix match

848 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  4Bangler 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if guts of the 205 transfer case can be swaped from housing to housing. For example I would like to change my Gm passenger drop 205 (married to sm 465) to a remote 205 passenger drop using a Ford remote 205. Could I unbolt the parts needed from the Ford 205 and bolt them up to my Gm 205?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Most of the time the internal parts will swap.There are some subtle differences between cases.I have never seen any personally,but, I "hear" that sometimes there are some differences.Best thing is to swap them and see what happens.I do have a few questions.One is your Ford case empty?two, your post said a"remote passenger side case" ...Are you planning on turning the ford divorced case upside down since it should be driver's side? you could look for a divorced case from a chevy or dodge and save your self some trouble...Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Are you planning on taking the divorced input from the Ford and putting it in the GM case? You might have to machine the GM case for a larger input bearing. If I understood the tech section on Offroad Design, the Ford's had a larger input gear/bearing. Same size as the 32 spl input for the TH400, if I understand it correctly. I have been wanting to check. Have a line on a divorced Ford 205 and a 4 speed GM 205. Have thought of making a divorced Gm case that way. Next to 0 $$ spent that way.

#4 ·
you could look for a divorced case from a chevy or dodge and save your self some trouble...Hope this helps. [/B][/QUOTE] I'm having problems finding a 205 divorced from a Dodge for a resanable price and the only chevy one's i have found are the Rockwell t221 which I know nothing about. That is why it would be nice to make one using some parts off the ford 205 divorced.

#5 ·
I had a similiar question in 205 mix match in that I wanted to replace the slip yoke on my chevy 205 with a fixed yoke from a ford 205. I had seen the offroad design site were you can change the input and the front output to the 32 spline ford output, but nothing was said about the rear output. Is the rear swap possible?

#6 ·
The ford case uses a larger bearing where the front input to the transmission goes just like the th400/205 because the shaft is a female input with a larger outer diameter.I don't know if the input bearing on a divorced case is the larger one or the more common small one seen with the sm465 and th350 205.The th400 is 32 spline and the ford is 31 spline.The front driveshaft output usually swaps easily(atleast everyone I have done) although the k5 site says there are some differences.The tails shaft should swap to convert it to the fixed yoke.Hope this helps.

#9 · (Edited)
In a word, nope.

All the guts will change over, but there is no way to bolt the front input bearing retainer to the front of the Chevy case. The Chevy bearing is retained and sealed by the adapter with that big 'ol figure 8 pattern, the Ford divorced just has a little round aluminium housing with a yoke seal, held on by four bolts. Look for a Dodge divorced case and just use that, Chevy only used the Rockwell and Dana 21 in divorced applications, and you don't want those turds, if you already have the Ford case, pull it apart and nab the sweet 32 spline outputs if it has them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.