Pirate 4x4 banner

MT/R 37x12.5x17 Junk?

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Brad 
#1 ·
I went and saw Jason Paule last night to ask him how the comp went with his new tires. He said that they didn't work at all. He couldn't do any climbs with them. Also mention that other people were having the same problem with them. He is going to 37x12.5x15 now. Too bad to, because he got goodyear to buy him some sweet Boyd beadlocks. They are beadlocked both inside and out. Really cool looking. Oh well, will have to wait until next year when he runs the 39's. I was just wondering if anyone else heard about this and what there comments were. I looked at the 17s and noticed that the tread design was different than my 15s. What does everyone think.

Erin

#3 ·
I have a brand new set of 37 x 12.5 - R15 MT/R's and they go like hell. I have been a couple times around hte mall and they work great over the speed bumps with a little thin pedal usage. :flipoff2:

No really....I have been on one ride with the 37's and they go really well....it was mostly dry that day but I climbed lots of places the old tires never could go. I really like the MT/R's....no one I wheel with has the 17's.....

#6 ·
From what i saw at Cedar City, the 17's weren't hooking up as well as the 15's. Now, this could be just because peeps weren't running low enuff pressure in them, or it could be because the sidewalls are soooo stiff that even with really low air pressure, they still don't hook up. Shannon Campbell likes them cause they feel more sporty, and give better control when maneuvering in tight spots. The sidewall will not flex, so when you turn the wheel, the tire follows it instead of lagging behind. This is the only upside i see to running them.

BTW- We all know that the BFG's spanked every other tire there, right Lance?

#7 ·
Jason would run BFGs, but Goodyear gave him one hell of a deal. Money talks, just like any motorsport. It doesn't help though that he is just the driver/builder. He would still run swampers if he could.

Erin

#9 ·
I heard some talk about a year ago that MTR's were going to be in a 39x12.50 from a buddy that competes in RCAA.

#12 ·
Give him a call, he has 2 sets of 5 for sale. I don't know the price, but I'm sure resonable.

As far as 39's, GY is going to debut them at SEMA. Suppose to be cool. I have aslo heard of BFG 39"x13"x20":eek: . Should be interesting next year.

Erin

#13 ·
Like Lance said the 17's are load range E which is a 10 ply rating. I have a friend who just put 37X15's on this week. He wanted 17's real bad but the western regional Goodyear rep talked him out of them. Said they were designed primarily for the new trucks with 17's. FWIW

#14 ·
willymutt said:
Give him a call, he has 2 sets of 5 for sale. I don't know the price, but I'm sure resonable.

As far as 39's, GY is going to debut them at SEMA. Suppose to be cool. I have aslo heard of BFG 39"x13"x20":eek: . Should be interesting next year.

Erin
damn now I'm wanting to wait again to see what's coming out.

#16 ·
TEX said:

Isn't the tread pattern a little tighter on the 17" version also?

TEX
Unless it is an optical illusion, I think the same thing. I was checking out some 17's the other day... They do look tighter!

#17 ·
There was a long ass thread about this a while ago and SOME people where saying 17s are the way of the future "more precise turning" ....I said foooeee! More sidewall rules. I siad it was marketing not performance. I took a lot of heat. Just want to say

I told ya so! :flipoff2:

#18 ·
scwafish said:
There was a long ass thread about this a while ago and SOME people where saying 17s are the way of the future "more precise turning" ....I said foooeee! More sidewall rules. I siad it was marketing not performance. I took a lot of heat. Just want to say

I told ya so! :flipoff2:
Nope, you're still full of shit. :p 17" IS the way of the future, IMO. Just not the E load GY. BFG's C load 17's kick fawking ass......

#20 ·
Lance said:

Nope, you're still full of shit. :p 17" IS the way of the future, IMO. Just not the E load GY. BFG's C load 17's kick fawking ass......
yup, yup, yup, and yup :flipoff2:

Sure there are BFG decals on our comp rig for a reason, even without the sponsorship even the new c load muds kick ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.