Pirate 4x4 banner

smoggin my 5.0

650 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 ·
time to make an appt with the ref.

I got a few things I know I need first though -

Speed sensor - is it possible to make my own speedometer cable and get the parts to put the speed sensor in line to go from an autometer gauge to the speed sensor to the toy tcase?

4 cats - I got two, but I guess I need the other 2 :(

Stock Air Filter housing - this one sucks, since I have no room for it. I will move my battery to my flatbed so I can put it where the battery is now.

Check engine light - shouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone here gone through this that might be able to give some insight?

thx

#3 ·
Brandon,

maybe one of these would help ;)

For the air box, wouldn't any airbox with a line coming in for the oil breather work? Seems like you could find a nice small one at a junk yard from a car and make it work.

I think I have an aftermarket battery tray and mounts. I'll dig around for it if you need it. It may need to be beefed up abit in case you get upside down, but it would be a good start.

Maybe you should have a pre-meeting with the smog ref and go in with the attitude that you want to make it right but aren't certain what is needed. Come back with a to-do list. I would think attitude would make a big difference in these meetings.

#4 ·
From what I have read it is very common to go in 3 times with the first time basically being a checklist meeting.

According to the info I have it has to be the factory air box, or a CARB replacement. Parts from other vehicles won't cut it. I'd like to get the things I think I will need done first, so the stuff in his checklist will be stuff I am not aware of. Who knows, might pass first time! :beer:

#7 ·
Brandon,
Out of all the 5.0 coversions our group has done (8). They have all had to go in at least twice to be checked. The last one passed everything except they failed him on his gas cap it was not holding presure. So make sure you sheck it out before hand. A couple failed for not haveing a check engine light. One they had to call to Sac to get the okay to pass it with a K N air filter.
Good luck let us know if you have any tips form yours, I have to get mine inspected thins next month:eek: :eek:

#8 ·
RockHound said:
Brandon,
Out of all the 5.0 coversions our group has done (8). They have all had to go in at least twice to be checked. The last one passed everything except they failed him on his gas cap it was not holding presure. So make sure you sheck it out before hand. A couple failed for not haveing a check engine light. One they had to call to Sac to get the okay to pass it with a K N air filter.
Good luck let us know if you have any tips form yours, I have to get mine inspected thins next month:eek: :eek:
was that the smog legal K&N kit or just a K&N cone? I got a cone but not the "kit"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.