Pirate 4x4 banner

Shackle reversal with out boarded springs - Idea

727 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RHINO 
#1 ·
OK, I think i got it figured out, take at look at the pic below and tell me what you think. All of this will be done on the front end of 69 Landcruiser.

I want to keep the eye of the shackle about middle of the frame, or most likely in the bottom 1/4 of the frame. Just to reduce funky spring angle. This design is very similar to jIMMy's design, just a little higher on the frame. Whatcha think?

I am also looking at taking about 2 inches of suspension height out of it, compared to the way it sat before. The belly of the cruiser will be flat, completely, with a plate for a belly pan. Wheelbase should be in the 100 to 103 range, and for now the 44 and 12 bolt will go in with the 15/35 swampers, until I can afford to set up the dana 60/70 combo the way I want them (ARB's, 5:38's, disc brakes)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Makes it easy to move it the shackle angle suck as well.

One thing though (depending on your axle width) will the tires rub on the springs or limit steering? I'm outboarded a couple inches with a 61" Wagoneer axle and I rub the springs. I had to install longer steering stops :( I might change to a cut down blazer 44 to bring my perches back in to stock solid axle specs (29" ctr) and have a bit woder stance.

#5 ·
I hopefully won't have a problem, as I will be running a stock blazer dana 44 up front. And eventually a dana 60. When all is said and done, the front springs will be outboarded, and the rear inboarded. :eek: kind of a contradiction but I don't want to cut into the pumpkin on the 44 to mount a perch.
:D

#9 ·
the bothem pic looks like the rear of my scout (they use that setup in the rear)
almost identical, scout has a reputation for tearing off those mounts, i've done alot of repairs,i think its scouts problem with too thin material rather than bad design,, i found that square tube (4 sides) welded completely to the frame (same config as rock slider brace) as opposed to channel or flat with gussets(3 sides)has not had any return breakage. scout uses about 1/8" material, i use 3/16's and think 1/4" would be overkill but its your machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.