Pirate 4x4 banner

rear 4 link shock placement?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Im4yotas 
#1 ·
im working on the 4 link for the rear of my tj (RE long arms on a 14 bolt), and im trying to figure on shock placement.

I was going to run a small 1x1 crossmember above the axle so i can move the shocks inward to V them. i planned on putting them behind the axle, but with clearances right now with the tank and such i dont like it.

would there be any major problems with running the shocks on the front side of the axle? still running a V (well inverted V i guess i should say)

I know its doable with a leaf sprung vehicle and i dont see why it wouldnt work with a coil other then the fact that all of the compression is up and back on control arms vs the more wrap and straight up and down movement you get at times with leaf springs.

open to suggestions. thanks guys

#2 ·
Hard to say without seeing the link setup. Just picture in your head (or draw it) where all the links go, and look at the arcs they follow. Use that to figure out which way the axle will move during compression and extension, and mount the shcoks so the don't bind, and follow the arcs.

Or just post a pic of the same setup, and I'll doctor it up in MS paint:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.