Pirate 4x4 banner

15" wheels on a Dana 60?????

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Shaw 
#1 ·
I have a Dana 60 that is going into the front of my rig pretty soon, and since I already have 38x12.5x15 swampers, is there any way to fit 15" wheels on a late 80's Ford high pinion Dana 60?

Some say you can't, some say you can if you grind the calipers, and others say you need to have a minimum backspacing.

Any input is appreciated!

#3 ·
This has been covered IN DEPTH by myself and many others. Search for "grind" and "D60". that should turn up the info you want.

And tell the rest of the newbies how to use search once you figure it out :flipoff2:

#5 ·
#10 ·
GhettoRig said:
You can fit 15 inch wheels with 4 inch backspacing without even grinding much off the caliper itself, even with the big Ford dual piston ones. You have grind a lot off the caliper bracket, but it is plenty strong.
You're smoking crack on that one. You obviously haven't done this yourself huh :shaking: Don't spread bad information that could make people go out and drop hundreds of $$$ on a set of rims that won't work for them :mad3:

With Ford Dual pistons DO NOT go over 3.5" BS or you will not have enough of the retention bracket left to safely hold the caliper in place. Trust me, I've done the grinding for 3.5" BS

#12 ·
bigdude said:

You're smoking crack on that one. You obviously haven't done this yourself huh :shaking: Don't spread bad information that could make people go out and drop hundreds of $$$ on a set of rims that won't work for them :mad3:

With Ford Dual pistons DO NOT go over 3.5" BS or you will not have enough of the retention bracket left to safely hold the caliper in place. Trust me, I've done the grinding for 3.5" BS
Actually, he has done it. Not that I'm necessarily condoning it, but it's been done and does work.

He's running 38.5" SX's on 15x8, 4" backspaced rims, on an early 90's balljoint-style Ford RC60. Here's a link to a pic showing the Ghetto Rig in all it's glory:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/black900rr/ilean/UROC_2002/cedar/Cedar02-095.JPG

#16 ·
bigdude said:

For future reference: I am NOT a web wheeler. When I give advice or an opinion on this or any other board it is based on knowledge that I have gleened either doing the modification myself or watching someone else do it. I HAVE performed this modification on my own vehicle, as evidenced above, and it CAN be done on the Ford dual piston calipers, and it DOES work, and it IS safe. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean somebody else can't step up to the plate and make it work.

This being said, anyone who spends hundreds of dollars on anything based solely on one person's opinion expressed on a web site is an idiot, and deserves what he gets if it doesn't work. When I fit my wheels I borrowed an identical wheel from a friend and made sure I could make it fit before I paid a penny for wheels. I would recommend everyone else do the same.

Any questions?

#17 ·
GhettoRig said:

This being said, anyone who spends hundreds of dollars on anything based solely on one person's opinion expressed on a web site is an idiot, and deserves what he gets if it doesn't work.
Good point.

And yes one question..

Could you yank a wheel off and take a picture of your grinding. I just don't see how it's possible. To fit 3.5" BS I damn near had to grind off half of the caliper retention piece top (small I-Beam looking mother). Any more than that and I don't see what would hold the caliper in place :confused: Please enlighten me and I apologize for the assumption earlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.