Pirate 4x4 banner

Rock Lights...what and where?

3K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  hip 
#1 ·
My first trip to the con in the new rig will be a night run, hope to get to Spider by midnight. I wanted to put on some basic rock lights. What type of lights work best? Where are yours mounted? Where are they aimed? Pics!!! Thanks.

#3 ·
I've got two in front pointing right in front of the tires, two right in the middle pointing down and out (between the frame and the nerfs) and two pointing a couple of feet behind and out side the rear tires. I work as a dinner cook so most of my playing is at night and this set-up kicks ass. It's nice to see EVERY THING!

#4 ·
I use the standard tractor lights that can be found at napa for about 9.99 each and they work well for me. I currently have a set mounted directly under the cab and and one on the back, this set up works ok.

#5 ·
I also use the tractor floods in the rubber housing...cheap and easy to install. I've got four total, two are above the rear solid mount spring hangers and two are just ahead of the front axle.

Also great for night-time repair needs...heh heh

#7 ·
Scout Dude said:

Yeah, I buy small driving lights from Walmart. they are about 1/4 of the size of the tractor lights and put out probably twice as much light. They are ~$14/set (2). Look for an orange or clear box in the auto section.
Scout are those water tight? The cheapo ones I had were filling with water and getting fawked.

Chevy Girl what Napa has the tractor lights for $9.99? Cheapest I've seen is $18.

#8 ·
Scout Dude said:

Ummm, probably not...But I haven't tried yet. I'm not a big fan of water crossings.

I know that the Napa/ Reibes on Auburn blvd here in Citrus Heights has the tractor ones for $10/ea.

Ummmm ok, thanks. I guess I sould have said "kinda" watertight ,it's not like I'm building a submarine.

I guess buying parts at Napa is like buying oem from the dealers. The local guy gets to set whatever price he feels like. Looks like Citrus Heights is the place to stock up.

#9 ·
I got some lights from Walmart. They are about 1.5"x2", 55 watt halogen lights. They cost about $15 per pair. The only downside is they don't come with a relay. The lights were in a orange package I think.

I've got a pair on the front side of the front body mounts and another pair up underneath the rockers pointing sideways. Some pics are here

#11 ·
I run the tractor lights, they are waterproof. The cheapie walmart variety were brighter and smaller, but lasted all of a month before they got full of water and blew the bulb as well as got dirty inside of teh lamp.

I have 2 mounted behind the front tire pointing back to just in front of the rear tires. 2 just in front of the rear tires pointed at the front/side of the front tires. They work pretty good, and mounted up on the frame up against the body, I only occasionally break one.

2 more will eventually be added to the frame in front of the front tire pointed down and 2 more behind the rear tires pointed down.

oh.. those $8-9 tractor lights are BULK binned in NAPA, not a bubble pack that is 2x as expensive for the same thing. when you do break/burn one out. Get the entire assembly, its cheaper than replacing just the bulb.

#13 ·
I got mine from Walmart as well. $17 for a pair (I think), they are 3" x 4" mounted them on the framerail pointed out just behind the front tires. May not be watertight, but I have been through the big mudhole by Rubicon springs a few times (water up to the dash) and the lights still work.

#14 ·
Scout Dude said:

Yeah, I buy small driving lights from Walmart. they are about 1/4 of the size of the tractor lights and put out probably twice as much light. They are ~$14/set (2). Look for an orange or clear box in the auto section.
Scwa.........I use these same lights!!! I have put them through hell, and they work awesome!!! Mud Water, rocks....and they are still holding up!!

put 4 lights on your rig....On on each side underneath the doors, and then one on each end of the vehicle in the middle.....They are a oval pattern and will light up everything!

Wire 2 lights per switch with a relay on each switch!

You will love them!!!

#16 ·
camo said:
i use green neon light sticks.
mine are orange! :flipoff2:

I actually have 6 tractor lights under the cruiser. 2 front, 2 middle and 2 rear. Run off 3 seperate switches. :D:D Works damn good. I like light. And when I am done with my next invention you all will be begging me to sell you a set. MUUUHAHAHA :evil:

#17 ·
I'm running the cheapy Harbor Freight $8.97 a pair on sale, driving lights. Two in the front wheelwells, two under the doors by the front of the rear tire, and one in the rear crossmember :D:D:D.

Work well, cheap to replace.

#18 ·
cheapy walmarts on mine too - If you hand sand the lense (ie scratch it up a lot) you get more of a flood pattern and less of the bright spot right were its aimed. $15 and readily available, not too bad :D

#22 ·
put one on the top of the rear axle. It lights up the whole underside and is great for checking under there or making repairs. watch out for clearance so you dont smash it though.

#23 ·
Moab Austin said:
Camo do you feel green makes hte shadows stand out better?

what about a Disco ball underneath wouldn't that really make your Double Dubs stand out good?

Camo, only uses the green neon,because he has inhaled to much glitter dust in his lifetime, and his brain has turned into a glowing mass of organic mush.

I use the generic version of the 3 1/2" round Blue Diamond lights, (found at any swap meet fro about $20 a pair). They use H3 bulbs that I change to 100 watt. I silicone the joints at the clamp ring, to make them watertight. They are much more compact than tractor lights and have a much better focused beam.
I place mine in the front and rear fender wells aime right in front of the tires.
They are bright enough that the fronts are typicaly the only lights that I use on nights runs.

#25 ·
While your at Wlly World pic up one of the mag mount tractor lights. It plugs in a cig lighter socket and has a good size magnet on it. I use one on my dump truck for extra light on night jobs. Then you'll have a light you can move around when you some extra light for part of the trail. Also works good if you break down.

#26 ·
Hmmm Wonder if that outdoor rope light would work worth a shit, I don't know how much light it puts off and it would be ambient not focused but you could run it all over the place lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.