Pirate 4x4 banner

Another bending question, die radius

752 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  EasyXJ 
#1 ·
Well, I've been on the phone with quite a few of the suppliers of benders and they all keep telling me that I want to use the larger radius dies so that the bends look better. It seems to me the that the smaller radius would look better to me, someone please explain as I'm ordering my bender today.

Easy

#2 · (Edited)
A general rule is to use a die that is 3 times the diameter of the tube you want to bend. I used a 6 inch radius die to bend my 2" tube and it left a beautiful, smooth bend with barely any distortion in the curve. Just be sure to bend slowly because the tube heats up while bending and it will collapse if you bend too quickly. The tighter radii distort the inner part of the bend and bottom line is it looks like hell. I experimented with a piece of 1.5" tube in a 2-1/2" radius die and it looked awful, nothing wrong with it but it looked bad, so I switched back to the 5-3/4" die and the bends are great.

#3 ·
What he said :D

When you use a die with a small radius, the tube comes out looking like bent conduit. The deforming around the bend is smooth, but it is really deep and IMHO looks like shit. In so far as any strength lost, I'm not sure. Get the larger die and enjoy the smooth, perfect bends :D

#4 ·
Ok, I'm starting out with 1.75" DOM .120 wall. I was wanting to go with the 5.5 radius not the 6.5. According to my calculations 3 times 1.75=5.25. So I should be able to go with the 5.5, correct?

Easy

#6 ·
Thanks for the help Bad, looks like it's time to get on the phone.

Easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.