Pirate 4x4 banner

issue's with my 1 1/2 35 spline axle

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  onetoncv 
#1 · (Edited)
I got it all together and went around the complex of buildings to shake it down before i go for a longer ride hehe- and 1/8 th of a mile into my journey and the rear tire starts to bind up- i hooked a few u turns (keep in mind i have a full spool) and it bound up well as you can imagine- and i got back to the shop that back wheel just about locked up and i have to lock it into 4 wheel just to get her in the shop- kinda smokin at that point - never heard a noise except the springs shifting around normal stuff- so its late and i get in friday morning and rip into the passenger side and find my brand new moser 1 1/2 axle 35 spline is broke in two after 1/8 mile and no more than 5 miles an hour and not even a good tire smokin to bragg about- it broke 3 " down from the flange - what a damned sight concidering what was supposed to be my weak link which i never got to even try out- my pinion spline - :) I'm guessing that i get a crappy forging from moser - i called them and they said well those spools are hard on the axles - i smiled and thought well it should have been good to 1500 horse and a huge wheely - not my 300 horse 2 high driving and no burnouts- what a damned dissapointment- they want to look at it - that should take a month or two i'm sure - so in the mean time i orderd more - i hope its good on these next one's - Jess

#5 ·
If they don't stand behind that. I think they shouldnt be making or selling racing parts,hell they tout themselves as a hot shit race supply company.

#7 ·
Only 2 reasons the axle brakes there....

1 axle shaft to spindle clearance. Knowing you, that's not likely.

2 axle shaft was turned down in that area by Moser to allow for axle to spindle clearance. They turned through the heat treat area.

Heat treat sound impossible you say. About 7 years ago I made this big deal with Moser for a whole sh!it pot full of Full float Dana 44 rear axles with 19 spline. Just like a FF Dana 60 only 19 spline. Sounds easy....They used the wrong blanks.... turned the axles down too far and through the heat treated outer shell leaving a very soft axle.

First few guys I sell axles to complain they broke them backing out of the garage. Then I start getting them broken in the boxes from shipping. Moser say save them all. we need to freight claim them with UPS. UPS my ass.... Moser did nothing about all these broken axles.

Every time I see the Moser name I just start peeing my self. How could a company be that f..ked up?

How 'bout them apples.....

thanks,

tony k

#9 ·
I had two brand new 35 sp. moser shafts break at the flange, the first broke while idling along in 2wd, the second lasted a few days before it broke. I called moser from tellico, and they shipped out a new set the next day, I had to pay for them, but after they looked at the returned parts they refunded the charges.
I have run those shafts for about 6 years with no problems so far.
I did buy a spare, but I haven't needed it yet.

#11 ·
so what are we saying exactly here....do i buy a set from them or go to dutchman or strange....

I think you should try Moser....I don't want to be the only guy that thinks poorly of them.

see ya,

tony k

#13 ·
tj7 said:
BUT YOU KNOW HONESTLY I HEARD THAT THE DUTCMANS ARE MORE BEEFIER .HMMMMM ANYONE WHO HAS DUTCHMAN'S....
I run dutchman in my race car (Ford 9") and Dutchman in my 14 bolt under my Jeep, no problems WHATSOEVER, and Jesse knows how hard I am on stuff....

Dutchman being a smaller company they take pride in their work, just like Jess does with his drivelines..

Good Luck Jess.....

#15 ·
Id never deal with moser again. I bought an shaft from them, the splines were cut so shitty you couldnt even use them. It took 3 hours of filing to get it to work. And the shaft still broke on pavement...

#16 ·
yep.. i had moser cut down my 35 spline axle shaft.. and well.. i told them to take exactly 3" off of it.. comes back.. 1/4" too long.. ugh... i even scribed the damn thing for them.. i wont deal with them again..

#17 ·
I've been runnig moser shafts in my FF spooled D-60 for close to 3 years of very abusive driving and have not had any problems. Also have used quite a few of there shafts in some of the trucks I've built for people and the only problem I've come across is when one person bought a $2.99 u-joint for his brand new moser shafts and the first time out broke the inner and outer. The next set he took my advice only quality joints and has been runnig them trouble free.

Every place you buy from will have some flaws now and then.
All personal preference.
My .02 cents

#21 ·
well the only experience I have with Moser axles is on Mike's Samurai. We broke a brand new rear moser on our second obstacle of the weekend. Never had broken a junkyard 44 shaft in our past competitions together.....

I have 35sp Dutchmans in my rig, and they have laughed at me for the past 6 years or so....

#22 ·
Abba the length is 31 prety sure its at the shop- man that would be nice to see how the other side holds - i have a set coming -but was going to convert back to 30 spline just to finish my shake down what a pain in the ass- scott we did not check the hardness yet but we will- :) thanks for all in info guys- i just want to run my damned rig around and take it wheeling - :) Jess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.