Pirate 4x4 banner

Simex Centipede

26K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  DiscoDino 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I know you can buy those tires outside of the US. A person from another board told me that they are not DOT approved for the US. They use the Simex Centipede tires in the Rain Forest Challenges in Malaysia. It gets quite wet and muddy in the rainforest so a good tire is a must.

#4 ·
PIAA_Lites said:
A person from another board told me that they are not DOT approved for the US.
And when was the last time you had someone check your tires for D.O.T. approval? :shaking:

As soon as you lay a tire siper or grover into ANY tire you just voided the D.O.T. approval, so I say "who cares" :p

#5 ·
DRM said:
And when was the last time you had someone check your tires for D.O.T. approval? :shaking:

As soon as you lay a tire siper or grover into ANY tire you just voided the D.O.T. approval, so I say "who cares" :p
Well, if you are thinking of competition, many tech inspections require "DOT Approved Tires" At least its gotta have that approval in the sidewall.

#6 ·
i had talked to a place in the us that carries simex tires, but not the 4x4 tires you refer too.. they said they could get those but the smallest order i could place would be half a truck load of various sizes...
http://www.tirexusa.com/simex/simex.html
you could try again and if a bunch would call them and say gimmie gimmie they would possiblle stock them...
the Simex Extreme Trekkers (aka the centipede) is a tube tire so that is something to be considered:

the jungle trekker is a tubeless tire:

i am good for a set for a reasonabl;e price and i know of others who would pony up for a set or two as well...

peace
Jw

#7 ·
Im game for either tire. It would be a interesting change from the swamper. And i have to ask, what is so bad about a tube tire for offroad use? Less likely to get puncture, and is not to hard to add puncture stopping fluids like Goop to the tube to keep nails or roots from halting foward progress. Oh, and no blown beads. :)

#8 ·
Simex are a popular choice over here, especially with the Series and Hybrid Land Rover crowd and hard core Suzuki owners.

Cool tyres. Don't see the wide sizes often though. Mostly 33/35" by 10.5 wide.

As for the DOT thing, NO TSL tyre is legal on the UK roads. No one ever has any problem running them as they have the US DOT mark on them and no one knows the difference!

#9 ·
I tried to contact the Simex dealer and could get nowhere. They won't import the truck tires only the heavy equipment tires. A friend of mine from Malaysia (where they are made) was also trying to import them but finally gave up. If you can get them, I'd be interested. But I don't think Simex is interested in competing in the American market.

#10 ·
Simex tyres are VERY! popular over here in Australia, the centerpide would have to the most popular of them. The biggest draw back with them is that the biggest atm is 35 x 10.5, but since a lot of the comps over here have a tyre size limit of 36 x 12.5 (same as rain forrest challenge) its not a big deal for most. There is talk of them releasing a 37 inch tyre soon but who really knows. They work very well in mud and are also very good on the rocks.
I run Q78 swampers on my Hilux as they are a bit taller but are still within the tyre size limit. I prefer swampers to simex`s but thats more a personal thing then a performance thing.

If you want to here more on the then come to http://pub28.ezboard.com/bsnakeracingforumboard

#11 ·
I figured that they were big in Australia. Fist time i saw them was on a picture of a ARB and Old Man Emu eqipped rig. It bites that they are unwilling to import to the states. I think that they would have a damn good following. After Interco and Goodyear, there is no decent off road compition in tires. Yea yea, BFG, but im not of fan of thoes on the rocks.. After years of superswamper, many would love to give simex a try. Even more so if they do come out with the 37". *Shrug* Well hell, im going to call a simex dealer and keep bugging them. Who knows. Enough of us, and they just might.

#13 ·
from the sire just mentioned-

"For North American inquiries, these prices include the cost of freight to all capital cities only (min 4 tyres) This is not a door to door service. Customs and quarantine clearance is required in the USA."

sounds like a go to me!!! fawking awesome!

il take 5 extreme trekkers in 35x10.5x15, please!

#18 ·
They make a 36 12.5 too. The competition guys love them, which tends to mean that everyone else thinks they have to like them too.

Short story - they work like crazy on slick surfaces - clay and leaf litter, but they suck on rock, don't flex and fall off rims at more PSI than they should.

They are a very specific tyre for the types of competitions we have here in the South East of Australia, and I cas see why they'd work in the UK too, but I don't rate them - I've run swampers for over 15 years and wouldn't change to centipedes.

Steve.

#19 ·
I had the 35x10.5 ETs on my Disco in 2003-2004, gret tire in the mud (10/10), SUCKED in snow/rocks...bites A LOT...think skinney bogger...

Once replaced by the 36" IROKs, I was much happier across the terrain, except for mud where I had to spin a LOT faster and use the floatation of the IROKs to drive through

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.