Pirate 4x4 banner

AZ----- Crown King run on August 3rd

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Explorer 
#1 ·
I know this isnt a real hardcore rockcrawling trail, but its a nice trip and fun for those still in building stages.
Run from lake Pleasant to Crown King on saturday August 3rd, meet at approx 5am or 6am at undecided location. Takes about 6-8 hours depending on how many times you stop. Good trip, good food and beer at the end.
Possibility of running the method of Cleator to Bumble Bee , the other way to/from Crown King, on the way back if I can gather more info on that trail. Can anyone help this?
This is just to get an idea of who wants to go and details will be posted later.

#3 ·
Yeah, I know a lot of the hardcore guys will be there. I know most of them think of this trail as a freeway for them, but this is a nice trail with some really good spots for stock or mild trucks (not stock fullsize, no offense). Lots of spots to play on.
Was just hoping that maybe some people that werent into that harcore stuff or didnt have the rigs to do that yet may wanna play. Maybe some people looking to get out and test there rigs on some good trails.

#4 ·
Fullsize trucks can make it through that trail no problem as long as they're mildly setup. If you want to come back down the Cleator side, it's real easy to follow the road back to I-17. It dumps you out above Sunset Point. You can run the road pretty fast if you stay aired down. Fill up the tires at the highway.

#5 ·
I have no bad things to say about the fullsizes... there was just a fullsize last time that had broke trying to make the ledge, so I am really just basing my experince on one event. They can come, but I am not responsible :)
I know that way down, I was trying to find the one that runs down Turkey Creek from Cleator to Bumble Bee. The main road is fun, but this way follows some creek beds down through and comes out just north or south of Bumble Bee somewhere.

#6 ·
You don't have to worry about the ledge anymore! Last time I was out there it had been turned into a speed bump. From what I have heard it was done buy a local full size club but I can't remember the name right now. We had a few stock Taco's go by it with no problems. Here is a pic of what used to be the ledge.

#8 ·
hey you guys know which bronco club it was or see any stickers on the windows because i am a member of a couple bronco clubs and i can tell you honestly i have not ran that trail because i have just moved to kingman and i have friends that have told me about that trail and says it is a blast to run

#12 ·
I'll mention this run to the other members of the Embry-Riddle Four Wheel Drive club. We might be able to round up some stock or mildly modified rigs to run with y'all.

That sux about the ledge being jackhammered out. I'd kick them in the junk if I saw that happening.

#13 ·
BigHG is right.. There was a marathon that went through there some time ago, and pretty much turned Crown King trail into a road. (Not that it was difficult at all for a Nissan on 31's though)

#14 ·
Allright, now my Expedition can make it without boogering up my running boards! :flipoff2: Actually, I never had trouble in a stock fullsize.
We were just talking last night about doing that run with you guys. Too bad it is the same weekend as our Hammers trip. Maybe we do it again later in the year. We would probably camp out and return down the same way the next day. (gotta get back to the trailers) For a one day trip, take the road out to I-17.

#16 ·
Bronco club was working for the promoters of an extreme marathon race that runs from Lake Pleasant to Crown King
Our Explorer group went through there the same weekend as this. I'll ask some of the guys if they remember the club name on the signs or on the chase trucks. It was my first time on the trail so I don't know if anything was different or ???

By the way those runners hated us that weekend. The dirty looks were priceless.

#18 ·
I was also out there the weekend the runners were there...un-fawking believeable some of these assholes.
I actually had one guy stop by my truck and ask if we were part of the marathon, and when I said "no" he goes: "well, why don't you get the fuck off the trail".....
I of course blew up at the guy and asked him how often he is on this trail because I run it 3 or 4 times a year and have never seen his ass there!

#19 ·
we were going to run that trail last weekend but didn't make it due to an accident .75 mi form the trail head. I'll see if anyone is up for runing it on the 3d since the hammers is out for me.

#20 ·
Man that really pisses me off. Thats pretty much my favorite trail anywhere, just because of the scenery and the food at the top. plus i dont know many trails where i can start in sunshine and end in snow and do it all in a T-shirt. One of my best trail memories was of strapping a couple stockers over that ledge in my amigo back when it was still only mildly modified. :mad: :mad:

Dallas

#21 ·
Here's what I'm gathering from this thread, and please let me know if I'm wrong:

Somebody promoted a marathon through the back country.

The promoter needed to get some very uncapible vehicles back in there for race support for the runners.

He got a local 4x4 club to jackhammer away what seemed to be one of the better obsticals on the trail.

If this is how it went, am I the only one here that's fully pissed about this. The ironies here are amazing, the runners (who would love nothing more than to lock us out completely) asked a 4x4 club to destroy a section of trail. Then we have a 4x4 club that agreed to do this:confused:

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

#23 ·
It was a 18" ledge on a numbered forest service road that was always completely stacked anyway.
:rolleyes:. There are no "obsticals" on this road. It is a popular trip for people with stock vehicles. The only time I ever need 4wd was when there was two feet of snow on the top. All the change did was make it more accessable for newer SUV owners to enjoy entry level wheeling. I still enjoy that run, and the loss of that "ledge" doesnt change the "trail" one bit.

#24 ·
Cool, I'm glad to see then that I was just reading it wrong;)

#25 ·
BigHG said:
The word on that was, a member of a Bronco club was working for the promoters of an extreme marathon race that runs from Lake Pleasant to Crown King. The promotors wanted to be able to run their support vehicles over the ledge.
I can't find any reference to preparations for the race but here is a link to a running club that holds a marathon on that trail. http://www.arizonaroadracers.com/crown_king.htm Maybe someone local can get ahold of them and nicely ask (if you act like you are a marathon runner or race organizer they might give you lots of details) what they did to prepare the trail for their event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.