Pirate 4x4 banner

Optima Batteries

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  broncorob 
#1 ·
Well, I just got my YJ back from the shop, and the Yellow-Top Optima is totally dead. I charged it overnight, and it will not take a charge. The battery is about 9 months old. Here at the Marina where I work (and where I bought the battery), the techs theorize that you have to charge the Optima's with a trickle charger to reduce the heat as you charge. I charged mine at 12 amps, which seems to have killed it.

My question is if anyone else has had problems with these? Also, I am adding a dual battery set-up and thinking about using a marine starting blue-top Optima, for the primary and a yellow-top for the second battery. Comments are appreciated!

Thanks!!

#2 · (Edited)
I've fast charged mine with a 12amp chargeer many times - 5 years old and still going strong. I'm running a red and yellow with an isolator - both have been 12amp charged with no problems so far.

I'd stick with the red top, unless you want the posts that are on the blue - same internals and the red has a better warranty (and is cheaper). If your wanting another deep cycle, then yes I'd go blue since once again it has the same internals (as the yellow) but has a better warranty and around here you can get them for the same price.

#3 ·
I might be stupid, but I don't buy the trickle charge theory for a yellow top. They are designed with heavier plates for use in high amp draws like ambulances, police rigs, and the like, where they also have high amp altenators. 12 amps ain't nothing compared to a 160 amp altenator. In fact, if you use a winch on any optima but the yellow top, it voids the warrenty. Being it's that new, you shouldn't any problem getting it warrentied, especially since it's where you work.

#4 ·
The only thing about the high amp alternator is that the battery is only charged at the regulated rate. The high amp alternator is designed for running accessories, at least that's my understanding?

As for warranty, I will get a new battery, but I want to be sure that I make the right choice on my new one.

#8 ·
I've got 2 red tops that are about 3 years old. I've drained them fully and recharged them lots of times on a regular charger. One just went bad last week, I'm satisfied with the life tho. As far as voiding the warranty by using a winch, that seems like a very simple thing I would leave out when taking the battery in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.