Pirate 4x4 banner

Shakedown runs/ test runs

750 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cliffy [JD] 
#1 ·
After reading Bigdudes Backyard thread, it dawned on me that a "shakedown run" (or test run) is a really good idea.

So I'm wondering who has NOT done a shakedown run and regreted it.

And ....... who has done a shakedown run broke a bunch of shit and said THANK GOD it did that

Reason I ask it that I'm planning to break the cherry on my scoutII in early Sept around idaho springs in CO. Hitting some trails between the 4-7 range on the 1-10 scale. Just wondering if I should do a shakedown run. The only problem is that for a decent shakedown run, I'll need to drive to Ft Collins and maybe hit Kelly Flats. LONG WAY TO DRIVE for a SHAKEDOWN RUN!!! :eek:

#2 ·
I would just go to the closest field or buddies land/ hunting land and slam it around a little. Hit some ditches, run into some shit.

See what breaks.

:D:D:D

#3 ·
Well normally that would be a great idea, but I live in western, NE and it's all flat prarie land. Anything "offroad" is still graded or at least "maintained" I've been told that theres some wheeling at the bottom of a creekbed here (supposedly has some "big" rocks in it) during the dry season. But nobody I've talked to seems to know where it is ???

Anyway, that is a good idea. There is a small hill right nest to my office that I've been crawling around on, but nothing I can get speed on, and it's all dirt, no rocks.

#4 ·
Try to test it on stuff that is as hard as you'll be wheeling. Farm land and stuff is great to check little things like suspension travel and interference, but to test component integrity you should really try to hit some rough stuff.

In rkcrawl's case he hadn't really wheeled that Jeep in almost 2 years. Then he built it up to what it is now. The components were used previously so the axle abuse and remaining strength was up in the air. Totally untested and he wanted to compete with it so it needed to be rough. We would've broke all that stuff at the competition and been screwed after a 10 hr drive. Now he'll have it ready and we know it's capabilities (even it's flopping point :D).

If you're running som serious trails, try to get in a serious test. It would suck to go a long distance only to break. But if it makes you feel better I drove 10 hrs for my real test run, broke both my locking hubs, only had one spare. It was still fun and now I've fixed the weak point.

#5 · (Edited)
bigdude said:

In rkcrawl's case he hadn't really wheeled that Jeep in almost 2 years. Then he built it up to what it is now. The components were used previously so the axle abuse and remaining strength was up in the air. Totally untested and he wanted to compete with it so it needed to be rough. We would've broke all that stuff at the competition and been screwed after a 10 hr drive. Now he'll have it ready and we know it's capabilities (even it's flopping point :D).

Ya, but that was mostly because of doing the engine/trans swap, swapped in Ford 9 front/rear, the SOA, and moving 1200 miles from New Hampshire to FL.

So we did find out what was weak...and getting it fixed. I think we might have shaken off some of the rust on the driver too (hope so anyway :) )

A shakedown, a real one, is a good idea.

#6 ·
bigdude said:
Try to test it on stuff that is as hard as you'll be wheeling.

But if it makes you feel better I drove 10 hrs for my real test run, broke both my locking hubs, only had one spare. It was still fun and now I've fixed the weak point.
I kinda figured a test run would be kind of futile, if it's not done on comparable terrain to what I plan to wheel regularly.

Yeah that does make me feel better since if I do a test run I will only be driving 2.5hrs to Ft Collins, then on my Real run it will be in the neighborhood of 4hrs.

I guess it's better to do a test run before a real run, since at the test run your intention isn't so much to go out and "have a blast" as it is to see what is/isn't going to break. This way I won't be dissapointed when something does break, cause that's why I went.

Sounds like between now and Sept I need to get this POS registered and take it to kelly flats, so that when I go to Idaho Springs I'm not as likely to ruin a 4-day weekend on breakage.

Thanks for the help deciding guys ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.