Pirate 4x4 banner

Baja....?

739 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Prerunner 
#1 ·
I am plannng a trip to Baja Mexico to do some wheelin', camping and fishing. I am just wondering if anyone on the board takes trips into Mexico. I have found some usefull information regarding paperwork for the truck and myself. Gas prices and maps. Anyone have some good secluded camping and fishing spots that they know of . I am planning to go for 7 days (7days in Mexico another 4 days driving from WI and back). I am hoping I can make it as far as La Paz, but if time permits I would like to go all the way to Cabo. The trip is set to go at the end of Oct. It will be just me and another friend with his Jeep. we will be driving from WI to SanDiego and enter Mexico from there. Anyone else intersted in going let me know.

#2 ·
Dont buy gas there if you can help it. Its crap. speaking of crap, it is true about what they say about the water. That includes the ice. Being from Wisconsin originally myself, I can tell you that real Mexican food can be a real shock to the system. Bring good old American food to go with the local cuizine. I go to Sonora, and dont need any passport or anything. I just take proof of ownership of my truck (title). DONT TAKE ANY GUNS OR AMMO! Check your rig thoroughly, one stray bullet could land you in deep doo-doo. Happned to a friend. Watch your stuff, people will steal your shit and the local cops won't care. (All of us Americans are rich, don't ya know). Above all else, remember that you are a guest in a forign country. Don't think you can get away with anything because you are an American, you leave your American civil rights at the border.

Sounds like a cool trip, have fun!

#3 ·
on the way down, or back, cross border at mexicali and go through san felipe. its a fun place, that caters to off-roaders, you can ride/drive any OHV right thru town on to eat some great fish tacos on the beach. I often camp at club de pesca. (www.sanfelipe.com.mx) its not secluded, but nice. Don't plan on getting to cabo and back in seven days, there's no way. if you try to go too far south, you will have no time to kick it on the beach. I have never had any trouble in baja, mainland mex is a different story. since you will be going farther south, and for more than 3 days, you will need a tourist card, which you can purchase at a bank once in mex, or through AAA or something. get auto insurance. they won't always let you take gas into mexico...especially if it's more than one can. but take empty cans at least, so you won't get stuck between sparce gas stations, and have to pay some guy $6 a gallon for gas out of a 50 gallon.

NO GUNS OR DRUGS IN MEXICO

have fun.

#6 ·
we frequent baja for the races. I second going through Mexicali, and san felipe is way cool, we usually stay at Pete's camp north of town. try to go through mikes sky ranch, it's a pretty cool place. And keep an eye on your stuff, it will get stolen, I know a few people who have had their vehicles stolen, but that is mostly in ensanada. dont buy any drinks in a glass with ice, only drink out of a bottle.

#9 ·
Check out the Aug and Sept issue of Four Wheeler, cool article on the trip you are planning. Playa El Coyote is the coolest beach in Baja. About 500 miles from the border on the Sea of Cortez side in the bay of Concepcion. Fuel is sometimes hard to find if the weather is bad so be sure and carry enough to travel at least 350 miles. It is as much as 150 miles between gas stations. Be sure and gas up at El Rosario.
I have been going to baja 3 times a year for the last 15 years and drink margaritas with ice every day while I am there. Only been sick 3 time 15 years and I eat all the local food. Stop at the Pharmacia and pic up some Lomotil. It helps keep you from getting sick. It also helps if you get sick. wish I was going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.