Pirate 4x4 banner

Spares

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Cliffy [JD] 
#1 ·
Reading the thread regarding some people not carrying trail spares (AND not being prepared vs. being prepared) lead me to ask this question.

Regarding the spare tire:

Does anyone run a skinny tire the same HEIGHT as their 4 origionals. I'm thinking this may help in a few ways:

A: Cheaper spare ? (haven't looked into this YET though)

B: If you mount you spare on the outside of the vehicle, it will either, NOT increase your CENTER OF GRAVITY as much as a full width spare when mounted on top of the vehicle, and if mounted at the rear, it will not affect DEPARTURE ANGLE as much as a full width spare.

C: Lighter weight!!

D: If mounted inside the vehicle, it will not rob you of camping gear (or tool/spare parts) space like a full width spare would.

So anyone run a skinny spare? Hows it workin' for ya?

.....and also........ What size skinny tire would I want to get if I run the 37" MT/R's (they measure an actual 35.75" on my scout)

Thanks in advance ;)

PS: Obviously your skinny spare would need to have COMPARABLE traction as your full size spare *I WOULD THINK*

See less See more
#3 ·
As far as traction of the spare relative to the other 04 tires, I guess it depend on what you want outta the tire. For me, the spare is just an insurance policy to get me the hell out of a jam.

If I popped one of the 04 running tires, then I´d just go get it fixed and come back to run some more.

Now if I toasted one beyond repair, then I´d prolly just weep softly and go home....

#5 ·
When I ran 33x12.5 BFGs I used a 33x9.5 as a spare for all of the reasons that you listed. I am running 35s now with a 35" spare, but when I get the cash for 37" MT/Rs I plan on running a tall, narrow Buckshot for spare.

http://www.ntwonline.com/ntw0799/pages/mudders.html

They aren't that much less than a 37, but at 36" tall and 9" wide they will get me off of the trail and don't take up as much room. I have a pickup too so I plan on racheting all of the air out of the tire to take up even less room.

#6 ·
Dirty Harry said:
When I ran 33x12.5 BFGs I used a 33x9.5 as a spare for all of the reasons that you listed. When I get the cash for 37" MT/Rs I plan on running a tall, narrow Buckshot for spare.

http://www.ntwonline.com/ntw0799/pages/mudders.html

They aren't that much less than a 37, but at 36" tall and 9" wide they will get me off of the trail and don't take up as much room. I have a pickup too so I plan on racheting all of the air out of the tire to take up even less room.
Yeah Looks like the 315/85R-15 would be good.

But for less money, and since it's a spare (IE: WOULDN"T BE DRIVING ON IT UNLESS I HAVE TO, and even then, not for LONG distances) What about the Bias Ply Q78-15 it's only about $10.00 or so less, but hey, less is less.

Anyone else? Any DIFFERENT tire ideas. What about some large michelins (sp) do they make 'em in an agressive style??

#7 ·
I do not carry a spare at all. The most obvious reason is that I am running 44" tsl's, I don't want to by one and I for sure don't want to carry one. So I carry a couple of tire boots for a tractor tire, cement and a large innertube. I have only had to use this on my truck once and it worked quite well. I'm still running the tire with a 4" gash in it. And you can carry it very easily. I've used this proceedure on some very large cuts the longest about 6", but a long horizontal cut would be a problem. Not as good as carring a spare but it is lighter and cheaper, and will almost always get you out of a jam.

#8 ·
Good tip, Yellow Blazer. Hadn't thought of that. I guess that only works if you have OBA huh?

I've been thinking about those who say they don't carry a spare, particularly BAJG, if you don't carry a spare because usually your buddies can SPOT you till you can get yours fixed. What would you do if ALL of your buddies subscribed to your IDEA. Obviously not everyone can do that. Four guys on the trail all counting on the ONE with the spare to help them out. It's kind of an unrealistic approach unless you've wheeled with the same buddies for a long time.

I guess if you're like Chris G. who doesn't carry a spare because he runs huge meat and a light rig and just doesn't have tire problems, well that's obviously different.

#10 ·
I carry a spare.....but's thats because there are not many people running 31x12.50's that I can borrow from.:D:D

Rich

#11 ·
I've always been that one guy who has the spare for everyone to use...1st off b.c. its a 5x5.5 which is a pretty common bolt pattern, and 2nd b.c. i have a truck and doesnt take much to leave it in the bed. i've had it for 2+ yrs now and just used it for the 1st time last friday to drive to discount for a new tire. 4 people besides myself have used it...it is a 33" bald azz general grabber AT spare that i got w/ my 1st set of used BFG Muds, but its done good. People with ranges from 31" to 35" have used it as an emergency spare. I'll be sad to see it go, but its stayin' in "the family" :D

#12 ·
Cliffhanger said:
Good tip, Yellow Blazer. Hadn't thought of that. I guess that only works if you have OBA huh?

I've been thinking about those who say they don't carry a spare, particularly BAJG, if you don't carry a spare because usually your buddies can SPOT you till you can get yours fixed. What would you do if ALL of your buddies subscribed to your IDEA. Obviously not everyone can do that. Four guys on the trail all counting on the ONE with the spare to help them out. It's kind of an unrealistic approach unless you've wheeled with the same buddies for a long time.

I guess if you're like Chris G. who doesn't carry a spare because he runs huge meat and a light rig and just doesn't have tire problems, well that's obviously different.

i have spares bud i just really dont want to fit a 39.5 on my jeep some where.... the spares are in the bed of my truck at camp.... i tow my rig to all runs.... and now i will most likely be running 42's.... what i meant bout buddies was them running back to camp to grab my spare as i would do for them.... i havent had a tire problem since ive stuck with biased tires and beadlocks, so it is a rare occasion that myself or the guys i run with to get a flat.

now if i was doin a long distance trail ride overnighter kinda deal, i would fashion one on my rig somehow or another.... that doesnt happen out this way too much

#13 ·
i have a spare but it stays at the tow rig. i do not want to be hauling around a 42" tire. too big, bulky and heavy. if i have a cut that plugs will not fix then i'll send a buddy to grab the tire. i have cut one of them about 3 weeks ago but after about 6 plugs i finished out the day.

#14 ·
badassjeepguy said:

i have spares bud i just really dont want to fit a 39.5 on my jeep some where.... the spares are in the bed of my truck at camp.... i tow my rig to all runs....
ahhh, I see. That's what I'm having a dilema about. My truck is a daily driver on 37's and I don't really want to have a spare that big. I wish I could tow my stuff and just run back to the base-camp.

I guess I'll call my local michelin dealer to see what they offer. I thought someone had posted pics. I guess search would help too :p

PS: am I spelling * michelin * correctly??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.