Pirate 4x4 banner

A dumbass question about beadlocks...

4K views 83 replies 34 participants last post by  Rerard 
#1 ·
Before you read this I wanna warn you its retarded, but im curious and I couldnt find the answer in a search.

On *another* site, someone said that 90-95% of people on the trail that run beadlocks, run tubes in their tires... Can someone explain to me why this would be necessary, do you think this figure is accurate?

I know a few poeple with beadlocks and none of them have tubes.

#8 ·
The only reason I can even think of is because they are buying cheap beadlocks and they have developed leaks and this is their way of solving the problem. I have had Barts, Hummers, and champions and none of them leak. Stop going over there and you won't get confused!

#10 ·
How's this for a reason, if you run tubes, you don't have to worry about losing the inside bead. If you lose the inside bead without a tube, you're done. If you run a tube without a beadlock and the tire spins on the rim it will tear the tube up.

I have never run beadlocks so maybe losing the inside bead isn't that big of a problem, but tubes would solve it.

#14 ·
mike said:
Tubes would remove the need for beadlocks in general. Burping the inside bead maybe, blowing it entirely.. nope never had that happen
I would think that if the tube burped out the inside a little you would have a serious risk of pinching the tube??

#16 ·
don't baja trucks have a second tire that is almost flush with the rim incase they get a flat? i've seen it on off-road.com they shredded the main tire.. and it looked like a very small spare tire on the rim on the inside.. i thought it was pretty sick

#18 ·
I was judging in a small comp. this weekend up close with the rigs. A few came through my course and lost air as they went, enough to blow up little puffs of dust in fact.
Ya know what kind they were?

TRAILREADY'S
So much for the spendy beadlocks holding air theory, huh?
I had the same problem with my Allied's. I work at a tire shop and we use this goop made by Tech Products called, well, "Tire Sealer". Mostly it gets used on corroded aluminum wheels with chronic bead leaks. I painted this stuff on mine, on the back bead and the front flange, and haven't lost any air, ever, since.

#20 ·
Ok now he says that he sees it on dragsters all the time... I dont know shit about dragsters so I cant say anything about that but even if that is true it doesnt matter because he said 'on the trail'.... I havent seen a lot of dragsters on the trail but maybe he meant in the mall...

#21 ·
I am the one who started it.

The post was originally who makes rock crawlers and then someone said that Bead Locks are made by trailready. Not going too far off topic huh?

But, then things turned to me explaining that Bead Locks are NOT DOT approved. Then no one had ever heard of DOT officers and was liek who cares. Then I tried explaining that BEad locks will loose air if not properly maintained and that the bolts have to be torqued every few hundred miles.

Now, I have been with Discount Tire Co in Orlando for almost 4 years and have dealt with a lot of different types of wheels. 90% of the guys I see running bead locks are also running tubes. Now, granted the guys with radial tires dont run tubes. But, not too many guys run Bead Locks with radials down here.

#22 ·
Retard ---- BTW, if you go and look at all f my posts, NEVER did I say what I see on the trails. The trails that we have here in FL do not require extremely low air pressure like rock trails would.

This is the Flatland of trucked in rocks and mud whompers.

#26 ·
Can't for the life of me think of any good reason for a tube on a 15 or 16.

But 16.5", 17", 20" wheels.....that's another deal.

16.5 no safety bead.
17" staight angle tire seat area.
20" 3 degree tapered tire seat area.

I really only have used tubes on 20" wheels. The 20" tires fall off the wheels when down around 3 lbs. So use a beadlock to keep the tire from spinning on the wheel and use the tube to hold air.

Get to Spyder...remove tube and go swimming.

Heat buildup for the tube would be my only worry, but who's gonna drive a beadlocked 20 down the freeway ??????

see ya,

tony k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.