Pirate 4x4 banner

98 4.3 Backfiring?

866 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Black Dog 
#1 ·
98 chevy 4.3 SMPI from a fullsize running on a 96 ECU and custom wiring harness built by speedscene. I've been running it for a couple months and have gotten a bunch of codes and been slowly repairing all the bugs. Its had a problem with running rich and backfiring so i've been fixing everything i can think of. i finally got the new fuel pump in and replaced the bad O2 and the only codes left on the computor are Vehicle Speed Sensor not working (dont have one) and a random multi cyl misfire. The thing runs strong as hell with the new pump, actually makes it downright scary it torques the body so hard when it shifts. Basically what i'm getting is a rough idle when stopped and when running at partial throttle you can feel the exhaust build up pressure and if you give it some gas it will blow out. Also when coasting down hills with the truck pushing the motor it will pop and bang a bit, and sometimes it will backfire so loud it sounds like i fired off a shotgun in the back seat. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? I'm Baffled. Could it have anything to do with the evap system? i dont have the cannister in and have the lines plugged. Could the cat cause this? muffler? Thanks everyone.

Dallas

#2 ·
I love random multi-clyinder missfire codes, it's so helpful.

A tech-II scanner should be able to isolate the cylinder, unless it isn't really a cyldinder giving you the random misfire code.

Check grounds and disconnect the rear o2 sensors, leaving only the front two.

Use a Tech-II to reset the hard codes as disconnecting the battery will only clear the soft error codes. Await for the return of the random misfire code then read the scanner for the correct cylinder. If it doesn't give a cylinder it's either a ground or o2 giving false readings or switched bank 1 and bank 2 causing over rich/over lean from one side of the engine to the other.

Well there goes all my knowledge in that area.

Mine was switched o2 banks on the random misfire.

#6 ·
Check your timing, vacume leaks, exhaust leaks around the O2 sensors, I dont think the $275 scanner is going to tell you much, I have not used them, but from what I know they just read code not sensor values. The tech II scanners are 4 or 5 thousand dollars and give you allot more information. You may need to track one down or take it to a good shop.

#7 ·
my scanner does give the O2 voltage values and about 20 other readings, temp, speed, intake air temp, air mass, and a buncha shit i dont understand. No exhaust leaks, new intake gaskets (just replaced all the injectors)Camo when you say tight valves what do you mean, when i got the motor all the rockers nuts were backed off and i tightened em to i think 15 ft-lbs, cant remember exactly. it was whatever the PBB Gurus or the chiltons told me was correct for that motor. One other thing, could a bad spark plug wire or 2 do this, i'm not sure how good my wires are since they came on the motor. thanks.

Dallas

#13 ·
If the plug wires are going bad, you could also have a crossfire between two wires which could definitely cause the backfiring. Put on a new set of wires and see what problems are left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.