Pirate 4x4 banner

Isuzu Corp 12 bolt

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DemoMike 
#1 ·
Gotta lotta questions bout these things, anyone feels like chiming in, I'm all ears. I've been looking for a rear axle for my Samurai (kinda) for the last few weeks with a list of requirements that goes something like this..

1. 6 lug pattern (already have rims and front axle)
2. Around 61" wide.
3. Strong enough to live with a V8 and 37's.
4. Gear'able (is that a word?) to AT LEAST 4.56

I saw a few of these Isuzu 12-bolters sitting in the junk yard today and they measure in at right around 60".. almost perfect.. they are 6 lug.. I've done a little research and most everyone seems to like them.. but I still need to know more.

1. What years are the most desireable and why?
2. I can pull entire center sections and count teeth, but is there an easier way to tell the ratio on these? A ratio tag? Anything?
3. Does anyone make aftermarket axle shafts for them?
4. Will this thing live under my Samurai?

Here's what the combo is going to be..
302/C4/Dana20
Dana44 front
MTR 37's
Heavy right foot.

Thanks guys!!

See less See more
#2 ·
IMHO it will survive under your zuki... those axles are more stout than you think. The one that used to be under my '88 Trooper II had 4.56's stock and disc brakes. Im sure moser or dutchman or whoever could help you out with shafts... just give them your dimensions... Airlockers are the only lockers i know that are available but im sure there are more. hope this helps

#3 · (Edited)
Isuzu 12 bolt rear

The 1st gen 4WD Amigos (89-94) came stock with 4.56 gears.

Here's more info

What may not be noted in the FAQ is that Tera currently has 5.38s in production for the Isuzu 10 bolt front and the 12 bolt rear. They should be available sometime in September.

Some folks that paid a deposit will probably want to sell once they're ready to be shipped ...
atleast that's what happened with the ARB front locker project.

One thing I have to admit about Isuzu- their gas engines leave a little to be desired, however, the frame & drivetrain components are overbuilt and damn near gorilla proof:flipoff2:

GonZu

#4 ·
What about a later toy 8" rear. Those are 60"s and have everything available for them. Also a taco 8.25 is the same width. Not as many locker options but stronger. Also an 80's waggy rear is a good option as well, as long as it isn't a widetrac, it will be 60". You could pull a 44 out of one of those. Just trying to give you some more options, not a huge fan of the 12 bolt. Besides, I am the proud owner of a 8" rear and a waggy 44 front :)

#5 ·
If you can get it cheap i'd say go for it. they are beefy as hell, 9.3" ring gear, strong axles, stock discs. most of them are stock 4.55 gears, and a few early troopers got 4.77s. Also the ones under 92+ troopers got a coil setup, and many had stock LSDs. The only locker is the ARB. Early amigos had a different e-brake from later ones, the ebrake was built into the caliper, in the later ones its a little drum brake inside the rotor.

Dallas

#6 ·
Thanks for the input.. I was initially looking for a late 70's early 80's 44 out of a Waggy.. but they seem to be scarce in yards around here for some reason. The yards that DO have them must think they are made of gold or something... $450 for a used axle?? Oh hell no.. I'll see what the yards want for those Isuzu things before I make up my mind.. they seem to be pretty decent axles..

#7 ·
Tacoma Rear Axle

Like 44Runner stated, the Tacoma rear axle fits your description. It is 61" WMS and either comes in the 8" with electric locker or the 8.4" (I believe), which either an ARB or Power Trax locker are available. It is the 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. I am pretty sure there are 4.56's available since I just put 5.29's w/ ARB into my Taco 8.4".

#8 ·
Re: Tacoma Rear Axle

rochmpr said:
Like 44Runner stated, the Tacoma rear axle fits your description. It is 61" WMS and either comes in the 8" with electric locker or the 8.4" (I believe), which either an ARB or Power Trax locker are available. It is the 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. I am pretty sure there are 4.56's available since I just put 5.29's w/ ARB into my Taco 8.4".
Yes, 4.56's are definately available for the 8" as I am about to go with 4.56's in mine. As for the 8.4, I'm not sure, but I would think they would have them available as well....

#9 ·
44Runner said:
...Also an 80's waggy rear is a good option as well, as long as it isn't a widetrac, it will be 60". You could pull a 44 out of one of those...
'80's Waggys had AMC 20s, not sure what year they changed, though. There were 6 lug 44's in some of the '70s ones; one of my buddies runs an offset one in his Sammi.

Pete

#10 ·
pcorssmit said:

'80's Waggys had AMC 20s, not sure what year they changed, though. There were 6 lug 44's in some of the '70s ones; one of my buddies runs an offset one in his Sammi.

Pete
Not that I am the waggy expert, but I thought some 80's waggies came with 44 rears. I think my buddies late 80's waggy has one. Anyone?

#11 ·
44Runner said:

Not that I am the waggy expert, but I thought some 80's waggies came with 44 rears. I think my buddies late 80's waggy has one. Anyone?
yup I think 84, ask around a jeep bb;)

#12 ·
Yeah, I keep kicking myself for not getting the 44 rear out of the Wagoneer I got my front out of. Ah well.. no offense towards the Toyota axle idea.. I had a 99 Taco with that 61" rear axle.. and it was strong.. yeah.. but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable running it behind a V8 with 37's. I'm even a little nervous about my front 44.. even though I know CTM and a number of aftermarket axle manufacturers will cure any problems I have with that thing.. Suzi will only weigh 3200#'ish MAX. Found a 98 Trooper rear (one of the BIG ones) for $650 today.. cheapest I've been able to come up with. Not sure I'm going to bite the bullet and run this thing.. but hey, It sure sounds good on paper... 1.5" shafts.. 9.3" ring gear.. BIG bearings.. mmmhmm.

We'll see how it all works out.

#13 ·
Re: Isuzu 12 bolt rear

GonZu said:
however, the frame & drivetrain components are overbuilt and damn near gorilla proof
When i saw this comment i thought...

this guy must live in AZ or something.

I was surprised to see you're an east-coaster.

I would have thought you knew that isuzu frames rot away faster than bill clinton going down on a cheesburger.

ESPECIALLY at the rear shackle area.

#14 ·
Re: Re: Isuzu 12 bolt rear

nakona said:

When i saw this comment i thought...

this guy must live in AZ or something.

I was surprised to see you're an east-coaster.

I would have thought you knew that isuzu frames rot away faster than bill clinton going down on a cheesburger.

ESPECIALLY at the rear shackle area.
Funny, i wheel with mostly other isuzus, and know probably a hundred isuzu owners east of the mississipi and have never heard anything about frame rust problems. Must be another one of those myths, kinda like the trooper rolling over easier than a sammi, even tho the factory manuals state that a 40* sidehill is fine and i've seen em go farther. You learned about that rust in consumer reports right ;)

Dallas

#15 ·
Re: Isuzu 12 bolt rear

GonZu said:
One thing I have to admit about Isuzu- their gas engines leave a little to be desired, however, the frame & drivetrain components are overbuilt and damn near gorilla proof:flipoff2:

GonZu
Maybe their older gas engines but I can't find fault with my current DOHC V6

#16 ·
Was there overlap between the intro of the Waggy 20 and the demise of the 44? I could've sworn my buddy's '80 Cherokee had the 20; perhaps it was swapped in, or maybe I'm just :smokin: ?

Pete

#17 ·
StinkBug said:

...Must be another one of those myths, kinda like the trooper rolling over easier than a sammi...
EXACTLY ! My truck is 12 years old,
1 previous owner from Conneticut, and it sees frequent trips to the OBX.
Nothing a little undercoating can't fix nakona :p

Mitsuzu said:

Maybe their older gas engines but I can't find fault with my current DOHC V6
I was speaking from a 2.6 perspective.
For your vehicle weight it's probably a good setup.
I also have the 3.2 DOHC in a Troop. Doze bastids are kinda top/bottom heavy tho.
I think a super charger *might* do it justice !

Sorry to stray off topic, but what do you expect ?
I'm a newbie :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.