Pirate 4x4 banner

Who says mud trucks cant go Crawlin!

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bgreen 
#1 ·
Here is a few pics the wife and I took while playing around on the beach with my "Mud Truck". Nothing special for y'all, but still fun for my first time in the rocks with a fairly capable rig.

I might have been able to climb this one if I had the carb adjusted a little bit better. :rolleyes:

More at alaskaoffroad.com

Brook

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the darkside.........

#11 ·
Big Rich: :vader:

Bigfoot, Silly, Jerk: Thanks

jeeper111: Im going to try some trails around Permanente in a few weeks. I hear there are some ravines that have jeep sized boulders for miles. Should prove interesting with only an LSD in the front

BillJ: Goodyear lists those tires as being 44.6 x 18.4 - R16.1 (Tread is over 1.5" deep)
Here is how they compare to a 44" TSL (the Goodyear is loaded down with a 3500 lb buggy and the TSL is not, Both tires are at 8 psi, TSL is on a 12" wide rim and the Goodyear is on a 14" wide rim) More info on these tires can be found Here. the next best size is a 41x16R16.1 or a 38x20R16.1 But neither have nearly as much tread depth.

Brook

#12 ·
Billa: Sorry buddy. I have 2 8274's, one for each end. :flipoff2: I just dont carry the front one that much cause it reduces my approach angle. I never go out the back either. Thats why all my winches are multi-mount. This winter I am going to finish the exo, and build another 4 link for the front. at that point I will be able to mount it so it doesnt affect the Approach. (Radiator will be moved closer to the engine)

Im glad to see that someone else thinks the flexy fenders are cool. Thats my favorite mod :D did you notice how the drivers is held on with a bungie? The tires get about a square foot of contact with the cab during full compression, so Im considering moving my front axle forward about 3" and running behind the knuckle hysteer. If I dont move the rear axle forward at the same time, thats gonna give me 120" WB :eek:

kid: We havent made any trips south of town yet this year. But plan to when moose season starts. Did you catch any good sized kings while in Ninilchicken?

hutch24: The trail is very dry this year, except for one spot where the water crossing is about 40 to 45" deep. I had to take off my fan belt to get across. There is a bridge for 4 wheelers and other lightweight rigs. The beach was the best part, as there was only one place where I could get stuck. the jeep on 35's could have gotten stuck at will, so most rigs would have some fun. For the most part the trail was 2wd.

Brook

#15 ·
45" Goodyear Traction Sure Grip's

In the slop, the goodyears make boggers look like allterrains. LITERALLY. There is no comparrison. 44" Boggers have 26/32" deep tread, and the goodyears have 50/32" deep tread. The Goodyears are 135 lbs each, and my 44" TSL's weighed 120 lbs each. The goodyear has several inches between the lugs so they bite in to the dirt better and have WAY better cleaning characteristics. I rarely have to hit the throttle where guys with boggers are revin' 6500 rpm to clean their tires. The Goodyears hold side hills way better too. For Drag racing a cut bogger would prolly be better, but that is the only thing that I think they Might do better off-road, other than on Slick Rock. The goodyears have a pretty stiff sidewall, and 16.1" rims have no safety beads. But I am running mine at 8psi in the front and 6psi in the back and have not been able to peal a bead off yet. I had them side loaded when climbing this rock...

and never burped the bead. You can see in the picture where the tire was smashed up against that undercut ledge on the right side. The rim was within about 2 or 3 inches from the rock when It climbed over, I am comfortable with how they air down. With about 2 psi in them the contact patch is almost 3 feet long and nearly 2 feet wide:eek: Im experimenting with ways to make them grab better on the smothe rocks, I am gutting two diagonal groves in each lug and might sipe them in the middle.

tbc...

#16 ·
Part 2... 45" Goodyear Traction Sure Grip's

The Rims I am currently running were custom made by the Goodyear Agricultural dealer. and should cost about 100 each. Mine are 14" wide, but I think I would get some 12's and weld on some Rockstomper Beadlocks. Then you could run the 4 or 5 psi that these tires need to really flex well. The tires are pretty expensive, but can be purchased at Combine World for about $500 each. Small price to pay for the performance, IMHO.

Nothing against boggers, as they are an excelent tire for a street legal truck. But, for a truck that cannot see the highway, why limit it with street tires?

Brook

P.S. I'll never buy another set of DOT tires for an off-road truck again.

#17 ·
kings

I didn't get to do any king fishing which is the only part of the trip that sucks, we did catch alot of halibut which makes up alittle I guess. A friend of the family is a captin there so he has me coming back late june of next year, this time I'll spend two weeks or more and get to check out some wheeling.

#18 ·
How do the D60 and 14 bolt live up to these tires? Its the same setup I have and I dont want to keep breaking. Regular 16 inch rims wont work? they have to be custom 16.1? Did you look at any other choices of tractor tires before choosing these. Goodyears webpage has a ton of choices.

#19 ·
Tires

clc900: I cant attest to how the axles will hold up since this is my first season I've ran them. I think they will hold up just fine, but Im going to uprade to 35 spline in the 60 this winter and add an ARB with 5.13 gears. But, so far, so good :p

I dont know if 16's will work or not. I have been told that they will, but I've also been told alot of shit that was just that. I would never do it unless I already had the rims and had nothing to loose.

I considered running the 38x20x16.1 goodyears before I got the 45's. I was going to run them on a CTM'd 44 and a 12bolt. But, I found a moose buggy with a fresh Dana 60, like new 8274, and the Goodyears on it for a steal. So I bought that instead.

When you get down to it, Goodyear only offers a few sizes that are appealing to me. And the 45" Traction Sure Grip is definately the best one of all. There are not that many sizes that dont have HUGE rims. I dont want a rim that is over 16.5 or 17 inches. You loose too much side wall. Like I said before, the next best size is a 41x16R16.1 or a 38x20R16.1 But neither have nearly as much tread depth.

Firestone makes a 42x25 that is almost 44"tall Click Here But it is for a 20.5" Dia rim.

Other Good Firestone Tires

Brook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.