Pirate 4x4 banner

what welder to get?

1K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  brector 
#1 ·
well it looks like it's finaly time to order myself a welder, i cant decide what to get. i was decided on a hobart 175 mig, but i went wheeling yesterday, and my buddie that rode with me kinda convinced me that i might want a 110 not 220. well i think that the power of a 220 machine would be nice to have, but the portability of a 110 would be nice too. i think that if i get the 135 then i will regret not having the power of the 175. i noticed that craftsman makes a 150 amp 110 volt mig welder, are they any good?
what are your opinions on the subject?
i plan on using this for general 4x4 related projects, from bumpers to shock towers, and maybe a buggy some day, but i dont have the space/money/skill yet.

#3 ·
Get 220!!
Here is the one I have....I love it!!!!

Lincoln Powermig 200!

BTW 220 is cheaper to run than 110..........Also look at the duty cycle of the welder that you are using...........If it is at 30% at 120 amps..........You wont be welding very long before it shuts off at 120 amps.........But if you get a 200 Amp and it is a 30-40% at 200 amps.......................You can run along time at 120 amps!

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2521&isolocale=EN

#6 ·
Definitely get the 220v welder. If you (or your buddy) is worried about it being portable then just go up to Home Depot and buy/make an adapter that will let it plug into a standard Dryer outlet. If you don't you'll regret not spending the extra $100 and having a much more powerful machine.:beer: :usa:

#11 ·
Portability and 220 can go together ya know. I've got a Lincoln SP-175, it's a great welder and it's the same size as the 110 units. You'll kick yourself (and your buddy) in the ass if you buy the 110 cuz you'll just have to buy a 220 later on. Blue or Red, it doesn't matter, just don't get a hobart.

Easy

#13 ·
EasyXJ said:
just don't get a hobart.
why do you say this? the hobart 175 is a miller 175 with a few plastic parts instead of metal ones. the metal parts can be put in place of the plastic hobart ones. the only difference between the two to the average fabricator is PRICE- about $150.

btw, theres nothing wrong with the plastic parts. they work great and if they break/wear out, just buy the miller parts.

#14 ·
I just bought a miller matic two weeks ago and I love it. I have welded up to half inch plate with it. They say it is only rated for 3/8 but on level 6 and the wire speed turned up I cut right through a piece of 3/8 plate. welded my 500 wall dom on level 7 and then ground on it for about 15 minutes and never got through the weld. I used to have a 110 welder and it sucked ass. I would not recomend it for anything but maybe shock mounts. When I re-wired it for 220 it would do up to 1/4 inch but it still isnt up to building a buggy with a 14 percent duty cycle. I had it turn itself off due to temp many times.

#16 ·
Go for the 220 no matter what you do.. I just started welding and have a lincoln weldpak 100 and a old school stick that I got from the neighbor. Even the other half blind neighbors can tell the difference by the light of the arc the 220 gives off. Welding thick metal with a 110 is like fucking the dog.. Go 220,, Also if your on a budget stick is the way to go. Rock on and lay some beads.:beer: :beer:

#17 ·
The idea of the 130/150 amp portable welders is good but only as good as the 110 outlet you plug it into. I once had a 110 unit and I had a hard time finding a 30 amp 110 recepticle. Most new house 110 outlets are only 20 amps and the older ones are even less. Check the requirements of the welder you decide to purchase.
I have to agree with most about the 220 welder vs 110. I have a miller 250x and am very happy with it, way more welder than I need, but if some is good more must be better. The duty cycle is a very important consideration also. The 110 welders duty cycle sucks. Get the 175 you mentioned and put a long cord on it with a dryer plug. Everybody has a dryer.
My 02.
Dan

#19 ·
Shrock said:
hobart vs Miller

You also get infinite voltage control vs about 4-5 click settings on the Hobart. Not a huge deal but nice for fine tuning and it is another difference.
my millermatic 210 only has 8 voltage settings and infinate wire control. :flipoff2: i would highly recomend going as big as you can afford. the millermatic 175 is also a sweet machine for not too much $$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.