Best of : Power steering pump modifications ( pressure and flow ) - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #76 (permalink)
Here's Johnny!

Member # 12867
Bumping this back up.

In doing some looking through pictures at www.cardone.com I ran across this which looks like the a 185 pump. Problem is I can not find it online based on the part number. I havent contacted cardone about it but seeing how I can find say 20904 it leads me to believe it might not be made anymore.

Anyone know anything about cardone part numbers? This pump is 20903. Anyone know if 207903 is the same pump but with a reservoir? Anyone know a source for the 185 pumps?

Edit: Post #56 shows what I think is the same pump from Napa but the number is obsolete. Looks like some more searching is in order.

Last edited by frostytj; 07-11-2010 at 05:36 AM.
frostytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 68988
Send a message via AIM to Zr2x350
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Well finally .....Works great! Using Amzoil Tractor /Hyd fluid. Runs COOOOL! You can almost stick your finger in the reservoir after locked up crawling! ALMOST! Locked up with 39.5 TSLs hooked up a GM 2WD truck box....this was an old used one. Don't know what pressure it puts out but NO COMPLAINTS!......DID I mention CHEAP! Fawk a bunch of fancy pancy pump high dollar $$$ pumps that crap out and leave ya stranded.......But it"ll take ingenious bastards to fit it under the hood !
Does anyone know how this ended up turning out ultimately?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #78 (permalink)
Knee Grow

Member # 12575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr2x350 View Post
Does anyone know how this ended up turning out ultimately?
????? fluid wise???

I started using 0W20 fully synthetic engine oil in my system... I will say I have a special reservoir design though.....
#5280ecec.com
jstarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 102491
pumps

For anyone interested in pump mods here is some basics for understanding hydraulics. First very important thing to note is that pumps pump flow not pressure. raising a pumps bypass pressure only increases the maximum amount of resistance in the system to high and your pump breaks. Second is that if you have to match flow for your system to much without a bypass and you will have failure even with a bypass you generate unnecessary heat. Drilling out the return line or increasing the return of a pump reduces the chance of a pump caviatating (small bubbles are released and dissolved in whatever you are pumping causing damage) the flow control can be modified to provide more flow instead of recirculating it to reservoir.
Flow at idle can only be changed by having a larger displacement pump or changing pulley ratio for a faster pump rpm at idle. Most powersteering pumps are vane types and and reach flow contol at approx 2000 engine rpm.
Hope this helps understanding hydraulics also milwright manuals and hydraulics manuals can provide with much information on troubleshooting hyraulics.
bigburby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #80 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 47454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigburby View Post
For anyone interested in pump mods here is some basics for understanding hydraulics. First very important thing to note is that pumps pump flow not pressure. raising a pumps bypass pressure only increases the maximum amount of resistance in the system to high and your pump breaks. Second is that if you have to match flow for your system to much without a bypass and you will have failure even with a bypass you generate unnecessary heat. Drilling out the return line or increasing the return of a pump reduces the chance of a pump caviatating (small bubbles are released and dissolved in whatever you are pumping causing damage) the flow control can be modified to provide more flow instead of recirculating it to reservoir.
Flow at idle can only be changed by having a larger displacement pump or changing pulley ratio for a faster pump rpm at idle. Most powersteering pumps are vane types and and reach flow contol at approx 2000 engine rpm.
Hope this helps understanding hydraulics also milwright manuals and hydraulics manuals can provide with much information on troubleshooting hyraulics.

What exactly from that makes anyone understand basic hydraulics??
Krod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 88919
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaggyroe View Post
Maybe a "more knowledgeable" parts store such as Napa would have more info?
Don't mind if I do.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951326
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 102491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod View Post
What exactly from that makes anyone understand basic hydraulics??
Not knowing what you are trying to accomplish when increasing flow rates and pressure will cause ultimatly needless and expensive repairs. pumps pump fluid at a rate regardless of obstructions in a system if the only place you have issues with a system for example is at idle then modifying the flow control will not increase that. positive displacement vane pumps which the large majority of power steering pumps are put out a volume of ci/rev more revs more gpm up to the pumps max rpm. so if you make a modification to increase the output of a flow control valve from 3 to 5gpm for example as well as increase the bypass pressure in a system that is designed for 3 gpm math tells you 2 gpm will have to go somewhere resulting in excesive heat generation at a minimum or worst case blowing hydraulic lines, split cylinders or a destroyed pump. a better option may be overdriving the pump to get a desireable flow rate at idle considering your enge rpm range or if you lack power in the system increase bypass pressure as long as you do not exceed the limits of your hoses pump etc. hydraulics have to be matched for your flow rates if you are trying to build a system you need too know the volume of your pump the volume of your cylinders the output of a charlyn valve in ci/rev if you want to predict turns lock to lock. giving someone a example to randomly modify items with out understanding the consequenses is irresponsible.
bigburby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 10736
Why do people bother modifying OEM pumps to the point of failure, when they could run a pump like this? 10 gpm for $150 is pretty good?
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #84 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
there is more to a steering pump then just a pump.
you linked to a pump, no relief valves or anything
so you would have to add a lot more $$ to make that work

Last edited by mj; 03-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #85 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonmachines View Post
Why do people bother modifying OEM pumps to the point of failure, when they could run a pump like this? 10 gpm for $150 is pretty good?
/forum/general-4x4-discussion/724253-why-dont-we-use-these-instead-ps-pumps.html

www.PATPARTS.com
Like Patooyee's Parts on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/Patooyee
patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 10736
I remember that thread but did not read the whole thing. What was the final consensus?
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 67889
I am still looking for the ever elusive P185 pump.

This is the info I get when I search for : 97-99 chevy Medium Duty trucks with a 6.5 diesel.

1998 Chevrolet Chevrolet C-Series Medium Duty Truck C6/C7/C8 | Kodiak, TopKick C-Series Service Manual | Steering | Power Steering System | Description and Operation | Document ID: 221060
The Hobourn BB135 pump
The Hobourn S600 pump
The Saginaw 235 pump
The various pumps use both remote and integral reservoirs.
Some vehicles have an aluminum power steering fluid cooler pipe mounted in front of the radiator, behind the grille panel. The cooler pipe is held in place by clamps.

GM PN 26003161, or 26016420 ACDelco # 36-0007

I find no refrence to a P185 pump that fits the standard enclosure.
jeepgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 67889
Anyone have access to a Delphi catalog? Check to see if this is a 185 series pump.

Delphi PN 26012268
Interchange Part Number: RE33717

Engine: 460 v8, 185 series, 3.7/4.1 GPM

Was listed for a John Deere Motorhome.?
jeepgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #89 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
What type/kind of pump does KRC use? They seem to particularly popular around here.
Cast Iron Pumps

Isuzu Rodeos have the same kind of pump, along with other brands

1994 ISUZU RODEO Power Steering Pump

Looks like it could be modded to the same as the KRC pump
TBItoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #90 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Send a message via AIM to AgitatedPancake
Definately subscribed to this one, I want to replace my jeep's pump with something higher pressure and flow. Rockauto is a great resource for this subject as they have pictures for most of the products.

Is there any common conversion between the pumps that have the 3 bolt holes on a circle like jeeps, and the 4 bolt pattern I'm seeing here? Might have to make some bracketry...

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 92930
My pump took a dump, anyone find a part number on a 185 pump yet, I know someone that works at a gm dealership at the parts desk

I'll have him look up the part numbers posted
Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 219992
Guys, I'm not a rockcrawler but I need some help and this definatly is the right thread. I started a thread on plowsite.com and a poster linked me to this one. I've read all 4 pages and the bulk of it is out of my comfort zone.

Here's my problem, I have a 99 silverado that has a "known" steering issue. Intermittently at low or no speed the power steering goes out. Like trying to park in a parking lot. Add the weight of the snowplow and it is only magnified in how frequently it happens. So my gut reaction thought is to put a higher output pump in but I don't know if that would do it. I don't know what the difference in pumps between a silverado 1500 or a 2500 pump output is. This link describes the TSB problem.Steering Stiff Looses Power Assist - 1999-2006 & 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

I'm not wanting to hijack the thread but I figure my problem relates talking pump issues, psi, more flow, just figuring it out....
Crazywelder72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #93 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywelder72 View Post
Guys, I'm not a rockcrawler but I need some help and this definatly is the right thread. I started a thread on plowsite.com and a poster linked me to this one. I've read all 4 pages and the bulk of it is out of my comfort zone.

Here's my problem, I have a 99 silverado that has a "known" steering issue. Intermittently at low or no speed the power steering goes out. Like trying to park in a parking lot. Add the weight of the snowplow and it is only magnified in how frequently it happens. So my gut reaction thought is to put a higher output pump in but I don't know if that would do it. I don't know what the difference in pumps between a silverado 1500 or a 2500 pump output is. This link describes the TSB problem.Steering Stiff Looses Power Assist - 1999-2006 & 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

I'm not wanting to hijack the thread but I figure my problem relates talking pump issues, psi, more flow, just figuring it out....
Just call PSC & tell them what is going on.
I'm very happy with the upgraded P-pump I got from them.

Performance Offroad Power Steering, Howe Performance, Trail Gear, Full Hydraulic, Ram Assist

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 219992
I sent them a email, hopefully they will respond.
Crazywelder72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 35163
Can somebody clarify something for me?

I am looking for a 185 style pump with a keyed style shaft (not press on)

Based on the post below I think the Cardone 20-140 and 96-140 could be candidates.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...l#post15064653

Are there compatibility issues with the early/ late style pumps (keyed vs press on pulley, flared vs o-ring style pumps) and pump housings? I am wanting to run a remote reservoir style housing with whichever pump I end up running.

Is there a parts store application for a housing similar to this? I don't need AN for the inlet and would actually prefer a clamp on hose style inlet. I can not find a housing like this that does not also have additional return lines for hydro-boost, etc. I want to run a single return line to the remote reservoir.

Something like this minus the extra return lines on the back.

Last edited by Toyoland66; 01-28-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Toyoland66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 127650
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...rvoir-can.html
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 35163
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchTruck View Post
Saw that, that housing has the inlet on the back not the top

I am thinking it may be easier to just buy the housing that PSC sells and use an AN to barbed fitting adapter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-98203/overview/

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...ring-side.html

Last edited by Toyoland66; 01-29-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Toyoland66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #98 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 87916
Location: a few miles from hopesmell va. Where you loose cell phone servise..
anyone else running the 143 pump? Looks like a beast that would push large amounts of fluid.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #99 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
I currently run 2. They are beasts if you can feed them at high rpm. I like the keyed shaft / easy pulley removal. I have to pressurize my reservoirs with OBA to 10psi to keep them happy.

They arne't as special as they seem though. They use the same rotor and vane as a P185 Saginaw with just a much bigger orifice. The large body allows a larger intake reservoir to keep them happy at higher output levels but things can be done inside the 185 body to compensate for that, too.

www.PATPARTS.com
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #100 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Oh, and a lot of this info is covered here, too:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...e-ps-pump.html

www.PATPARTS.com