GM 3.1/3.4/3.8 engines - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 77571
GM 3.1/3.4/3.8 engines

Just wondering why nobody ever seems to run one of these engines swapped into a wheeler.

The 3.8 in particular is a mighty fine runner. The forced induction engine has plenty of power.

Lets not forget the turbo 4.3. They ran well also.

Maybe the front wheel drive has a bolt pattern that doesn't allow for a typical trans to bolt up ?

To heavy ? Lack of aftermarket parts ?

Just wondering.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 28368
I have a turbo 3.8 V6 in my wheeler from a Grand National - way more power than any you listed. Also is RWD from the factory.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
The 3300/3800 use the 60* bellhousing pattern despite it's 90* arrangement. The 2.8/3.1/3.4 all also use the 60* pattern which makes sense since they're 60* engines. This severely limits your choices of transmissions, especially when it comes to beef or lower gears. Now in theory you could get some arrangement of bellhousings, flywheels, clutches, etc and run a Yota transmission like an R151F. I think an R151F would be ok behind an NA 3800 or even the L67 if a person were to take it easy a little. If you're looking at slushboxes you're really stuck with the 700R4. Anything else isn't much of an option.

Don't get me wrong...it's been done. It just isn't common. FWIW I seriously considered this swap. Heck, the 3800 (or the one I looked at anyway) even has the RWD motor mount bosses on it.

*edit*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budd View Post
I have a turbo 3.8 V6 in my wheeler from a Grand National - way more power than any you listed. Also is RWD from the factory.
And it has the BOP 90* pattern which is FAR easier to deal with than the 60* pattern. The BOP pattern was used behind a 500 cubic inch monsterous caddy engine. Obviously there are strong tranny choices.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by the_experience3006; 09-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.
the_experience3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8498
Heres my take on the 3.8 supercharged engine. Ive been running one in my rockracer for two years now with the 700r4 out of an s10. My motor has been tweaked a little and Im putting out 330hp pushing 40inch Toyo's This tranny was built by Randy Rodd at Jimmys 4x4. For two years now this tranny has held up to some HARD abuse, way more then what i do with it crawling. If you want to see the difference between Shannons LS and mine go to you tube and look for The Albuquerue XRRA shoot out. Im in the outside lane on the start.

Doug Bigalow and Ken Blume also use the engine.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Just wondering why nobody ever seems to run one of these engines swapped into a wheeler.

The 3.8 in particular is a mighty fine runner. The forced induction engine has plenty of power.

Lets not forget the turbo 4.3. They ran well also.

Maybe the front wheel drive has a bolt pattern that doesn't allow for a typical trans to bolt up ?

To heavy ? Lack of aftermarket parts ?

Just wondering.
The turbo 4.3 was in the extremely limited production syclone in '91 and the almost as rare typhoon in '92 and '93..... If you think you can find one for less than an aluminum small block then try to find one, they have all pretty much been scrounged up by the syty guys.

The other stuff makes for great engines but they are better for the lighter rigs, that's why you dont see many around. A few people run them with good success but for the effort involved a v8 is usually the more logical choice.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 47454
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukstur View Post
Heres my take on the 3.8 supercharged engine. Ive been running one in my rockracer for two years now with the 700r4 out of an s10.
Details on the trans/converter please.
Krod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience3006 View Post
The 2.8/3.1/3.4 all also use the 60* pattern which makes sense since they're 60* engines. This severely limits your choices of transmissions, especially when it comes to beef or lower gears.
Hogwash. If you want a bolt-up setup, it is limiting... but that's not what PBB is about. If you're willing to work on the back of your own bellhousing, just about any manual tranny is available -- easiest if you use one with a circular input retainer index.

Quote:
Now in theory you could get some arrangement of bellhousings, flywheels, clutches, etc and run a Yota transmission like an R151F.
Not just theory -- it works. It just isn't done as often as the 90-degree interface.

Quote:
I think an R151F would be ok behind an NA 3800 or even the L67 if a person were to take it easy a little.
Mine is living happily behind a built Ford 302. These same Aisin trannies wind up behind high-po Supras, as well.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong...it's been done. It just isn't common.
Here we agree!

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
Hogwash. If you want a bolt-up setup, it is limiting... but that's not what PBB is about. If you're willing to work on the back of your own bellhousing, just about any manual tranny is available -- easiest if you use one with a circular input retainer index.
I call hogwash on you! Pirate is all about spending as much money with as many vendors as possible to prove that your penis is just that much bigger. Bolt on is where it's at. Unless you don't have money...then you need to innovate a little.

Quote:
Not just theory -- it works. It just isn't done as often as the 90-degree interface.
But you're still somewhat limited in that you can't run the more traditional manual trannies like an SM465, NV4500, T18, whatever. You're also far more limited on the automatic side. There are plenty of transmissions that will work in any number of combinations. It's just that none are REAL common.

Quote:
Mine is living happily behind a built Ford 302. These same Aisin trannies wind up behind high-po Supras, as well.
But those Supras are running different transsmissions (that gets back to the gear ratio thing) along with "gentler" turbo horsepower. It's just another one of many small reasons that equate to this engines not being common swap candidates.

Quote:
Here we agree!

Randii
Yep. I'm just old fashioned in that I think I need to have lots of common parts that are cheap and easy to replace or something that I can't get parts for easily, but is so super bling that I won't break it anyway. I'm undecided as to which side of the spectrum this falls into. That means it could be one of those dangerous combinations that requires some custom stuff that isn't super strong.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
Lots of info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-D...ne#3.4L.2F3400

Here is one in the 08 Werock West Unlimited champs rig http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ght=mudtruck44
Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 37690
Send a message via Yahoo to blackrider
isn't this half of the enjoyment of 4 wheelin' building your own shit and making it special to the builder,experimenting and fabricating...least for me it is
4.3 vortec/tbi,yota axles/dual cases,40's,
stauns,oba,4 linked,coilovers,zook tub
[COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]NotQuiteRight Wheelers[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Pirate is all about spending as much money with as many vendors as possible to prove that your penis is just that much bigger. Bolt on is where it's at. Unless you don't have money...then you need to innovate a little.
This website has truly turned upside down from its inception if that's the case.

Quote:
But you're still somewhat limited in that you can't run the more traditional manual trannies like an SM465, NV4500, T18, whatever.
Why? Any of these trannies that use a circular index are simple to swap. R150 or R151 trannies don't use a circular index, but have (surprise!) a circular input bearing... so they just need a little more work than very common Muncies, SMs, NVs, and etc.

Quote:
You're also far more limited on the automatic side.
I haven't done the homework to prove otherwise. :shrug: I'm running one of those small-block Fords -- does it have 'gentle' hp as well? It is fairly custom, but not unrepeatably so.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Randii
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Don't deny the pirate thing. You know to some extent it is true. But I was mostly just kidding.

I'm curious as to what you're doing for a bellhousing. Are you talking about cutting and welding a 60* bell to a different tranny housing or housing end of a bellhousing? What I was getting at is that various B-W and Tremec transmissions (like the S-10 T5), W, G, and R series Toyota (to the best of my knowledge), Isuzu, AX-5, AX-15, etc all use the same transmission side bellhousing pattern so in theory I could bolt a 60* S-10 T-5 bellhousing to an R151F and have a reasonably strong combination. It's all the little stuff like the different input length and pilot size, clutch arrangement, etc that catches up with you. It's obvious that this stuff works because there are numerous threads where people have done it but I think it requires a lot of work (not a big deal) and a lot of parts laying around to try in different combinations (little tougher).

The OP wanted to know why these swaps aren't as common as others. I think that the transmission hassle is good reason why you don't see it MORE. Heck...there's approximately 1 billion 3800's out there. You can buy a low mileage runner for $200 damn near at the seven eleven. They are common, reliable, cheap, and powerful. The only thing missing is easy. Then they would be a very common swap candidate.

Quote:
I haven't done the homework to prove otherwise. :shrug: I'm running one of those small-block Fords -- does it have 'gentle' hp as well? It is fairly custom, but not unrepeatably so.
Randii
I don't know. If it's a relatively stock sbf then the horsepower might not be gentle, but there aren't enough of them to matter. What does the sbf have to do with the GM 60* pattern anyway? Are you running an Aisin trans behind the sbf and are just promoting the strength of the Aisin transmissions? If that's the case then you have me on your side. They're pretty tough transmissions that don't shift like a 50 year old dumptruck transmission. Of course...they aren't as strong as...well...the 50 year old dump truck transmissions we know and love.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by the_experience3006; 09-05-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
But I was mostly just kidding.
Whew!

Quote:
I'm curious as to what you're doing for a bellhousing. Are you talking about cutting and welding a 60* bell to a different tranny housing or housing end of a bellhousing?
Mine is a bit more involved... but if you use a transmission and bellhousing with a circular index on the back, it is simple to over-bore to match or turn up a 'donut' spacer. Once you have the alignment set, connecting the bell to the tranny is cake, especially with a blow-proof bell like a McLeod or Lakewood that has a nice, large, flat back.

Borg-Warner and Aisin do supply trannies that use similar tranny patterns, but it was simple enough to mod my McLeod bell for the R151. All the "little stuff" you mentioned is pretty easy to resolve once you get the crankshaft lined up with the tranny input shaft. It certainly takes some measurement and thinking, and a few trips to the parts store.

What you said earlier makes good sense...
Quote:
...it's been done. It just isn't common.
I'd expand to say that it is nowhere near as easy as calling up Advanced Adapters and ordering, like you can do with a 90-degree motor. With the right injection of cash, they can provide you with EVERYTHING you need to do a standard swap.

I'm just not a 'standard' kind of guy... and I like my slick-shifting 5-speed. I've rowed gears in the old dump-truck boxes, and I've decided I *LIKE* synchros!

I guess my whole point is that anything is possible, and odd swaps like mine just aren't a hard as many people think. Uncommon? Sure. Unattainable? Heck no.

Randii
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Smittybought

Member # 54666
It's been said time and time again on here SEARCH! The search button is your friend.

Also if you are serious about this Kiwipushrod should get to be your friend too.

Transmisions thanks to Kiwi

Kiwi's awesome Toyota with 3800 and a L67 version in the works

Isuzu with 3800

Other Resources

FullthrottleV6

3800 pro

60 Degree V6

- Lee
bigdaddylee82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 23452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddylee82 View Post
It's been said time and time again on here SEARCH! The search button is your friend.

Also if you are serious about this Kiwipushrod should get to be your friend too.

Transmisions thanks to Kiwi

Kiwi's awesome Toyota with 3800 and a L67 version in the works

Isuzu with 3800

Other Resources

FullthrottleV6

3800 pro

60 Degree V6

- Lee
thanks for the link's, jason.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8899
soom good tech here.

I have been thinking of putting a 3800 motor in my YJ that has a 2.5 in it. The P.O. made a plate to go between a 435 and the stock 2.5 5 speed tranny. So a 3800 will bolt up to my tranny now.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Smittybought

Member # 54666
Here's another I remembered this morning. 3100 is 3.1 liters but not the same motor as the original gm 3.1. Still a 60* V6 ancestor of the 3.1though. I have one in a Grand Prix. The 3100 has no problem getting out of its own way in that big ass car and will get 28 mpg on the highway. They’re notorious about intake manifold/gasket problems. I'm on my second 3100 in the car, and this one has started the white clouds of smoke out the tail pipe again. There's nothing that will make you more comfortable about the longevity of your engine than that yummy looking milky oil .

3100 in a sweet buggy.

I think it was/is for sale at one point too.

My original research for the 3800 came from the idea of a 1st gen yota with an l67. All of Kiwi's tech got me real fired up about it, but now I think that a Austin/Morris Mini with an L67 and a F40 6 speed would be my favorite use of the motor. Don't steal my idea, it's mine I know, kind of opposite ends of the spectrum huh? Delusions. That is All.

- Lee
Old 09-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
CHASSIS w/ATTITUDE!

Member # 87218
Quote:

3100 in a sweet buggy.

I think it was/is for sale at one point too.

- Lee
If you look closely, you'll also notice that particular trans required not one single adapter... It is easy if you know the secrets...

-Tim
Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
It might be mentioned in the cliff hanger build but didn't early xj's with the 2.8 have a TF 904/ 999? You could probably basterdize an xj 999 and a CJ 999 out put shaft to bolt directly to a dana 300/ atlas.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Smittybought

Member # 54666
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
It might be mentioned in the cliff hanger build but didn't early xj's with the 2.8 have a TF 904/ 999? You could probably basterdize an xj 999 and a CJ 999 out put shaft to bolt directly to a dana 300/ atlas.
Slush boxes: 904, aw4/yota equivilent, 60* 700R4, etc.

3800 + Aw4 + Klune V + Dana 300

Just call me the Link King

- Lee
Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Smittybought

Member # 54666
You guys really got my intrest peaked again, so I went searching. I know novel idea huh, searching, who would have thought just how much info one could find all on their own . Anyways I came across this jewl of information over on one of the "other resources" I linked earlier, i.e. FullthrottleV6.com. We can all thank 95PFB (Greg, I think) for all of the following information. Enjoy.

Original The pictures don't show up here or there, but it's a crap ton of good tech regardless
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PFB; FullthrottleV6.com
The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac Solstice\Saturn Sky\Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern (Large Pattern). As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:
Pic 1 #1. Novak Enterprises: Adapter plate for AX15 to GM 4-speed bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550 and NV1500 to same.
#2. 94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any K car based 2.2L-2.5L L4 in a RWD application.
#3. 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 DOHC V6, Holden (Australia) 3800 V6 and the LS4 5.3L V8 from the Impala SS.
#4. 88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects all to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8 and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.
#5. 94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8, Magnum 5.2\5.9 V8, 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L Hemi V8, and Jeep 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel. (Requires use of an 11" flywheel.)
#6. 96-04 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6. Also works with Toyota 3.0L V6
#7. 86.5-92 Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE. Also works with Toyota 5M-GE.
Not shown:
01-04 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and any 273/318/340/360 V8, Magnum 5.2\5.9 V8, 5.7L Hemi V8, and Jeep 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel. (Requires use of an 10.5" flywheel.)

03-04 Jeep Liberty\TJ 2.4L bellhousing: Connects NV1500 to 2.4L SOHC\DOHC Neon\SRT-4\PT Cruiser L4 (See info at #11)
Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 AR5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 V6
04-05 Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Vortec 2800 L4, 3500 L5 and 4200 L6
06 Pontiac Solstice\ Saturn Sky MA5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Ecotec 2.4L
88-95 Toyota Landcruiser: 1L, 2L and 2L-T Turbo Diesel truck bellhousing connects to R series transmissions. (See Pic 2 Note below)
Aftermarket:
Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for AX15 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6. Connects all except NV3550, NV1500 and Pre 1996 R150 and R151 to same. www.advanceadapters.com
Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for Pre 1996 R150 and R151 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6. www.advanceadapters.com
Advance Adapters: Bellhousing for NV3550 to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6.
Advance Adapters: Adapter plate for AX15 to Ford bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550 and NV1500 to same.
Advance Adapters: Adapter plate for NV3550 to Ford bellhousing.
Marlin Crawlers: Bellhousing to connect all to 2RZ / 3RZ Toyota 4 cylinder engines http://www.marlincrawler.com/
Japanese Auto Repair: Bellhousing to bolt all transmissions to a Mitsubishi DOHC 4G63. www.japaneseauto.com
Swift Machine: Adapter plate for NV3550 to GM 4-speed bellhousing. www.swiftmachine.com
Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt R series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6. www.rock4xfabrication.com/ringr.htm
Thor Racing in the UK: Adapter plate to bolt an R154 to a Toyota (Lexus) V8 automatic bellhousing. http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/R154_to...FE_Adaptor.asp
Part II
Jeep AX5, Toyota G52, G58, W55, W56, W57 and W58 5-speeds all share a common face pattern on the case (Small pattern). As such, any 88-99 Jeep 2.5L bellhousing (NOT Dakota) will bolt a Toyota W series transmission to a 60 degree GM bolt pattern.
Factory: 1981-86 1L, 2L and 2L-T Turbo Diesel truck bellhousing connects to W and G series transmissions. (See Pic 2 Note below)
1982-92 Lotus Excel - W series bellhousing to bolt Toyota transmission to Lotus 2.2L DOHC 4.
Aftermarket:
Advance Adapters: Bellhousing to bolt a W and G series Toyota trans to a Chevy-Buick-Olds-Pontiac block.
Northwest Off Road: Bellhousing to bolt W and G series to Ford 5.0. www.northwestoffroad.com
Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt W and G series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6. www.rock4xfabrication.com/ringr.htm
Acme Adapters: Adapter plate and flywheel to bolt VW 1.6, 1.9 Diesel to W and G series transmisson. www.acmeadapters.com
Japanese Auto Repair: Bellhousing to bolt Toyota W and G series transmissions to a Mitsubishi DOHC 4G63 bellhousing. www.japaneseauto.com
Red's Headers: Bellhousing to bolt Toyota W and G series transmissions to a 32-48 Ford Flathead V8 http://www.flatattackracing.com
OTT Industries: Adapter plate to bolt an SM420 5-speed to any Toyota W and G series bellhousing. Can also be used for a GM pattern T5 and Tremec TKO. http://www.ottindustries.com/
Advance Adapters: Adapter plate to bolt a large pattern AX15 to a small pattern AX5 bellhousing. Can be used with the other Long Shaft transmissions except the NV1500 and NV3550.
Part III
NOTE: Input shafts lengths vary.
Pre 1995 R150\R151 = 6.5"
1996 up Toyota R series = 7.5"
AX15 = 7.875"
87-92 Turbo Supra R154 = 7.25"
AR5 = 8.2"
MA5 = 8.2"
NV3550 = 7.875"
NV1500 = 8.6"
AX5 = 7.5"
Toyota W series = 6.5"
Toyota G series = 6.5"
Pic 2 Advance Adapters makes an extra long pilot bearing when using a slightly shorter input shaft tranny with a bellhousing that had a longer one. Obviously you can't put the longer input shaft trans into a Toyota bell that had a shorter one. (Unless a spacer is used or the input shaft is swapped. See below.)
The transmissons and bellhousings can be split up into two categories. SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL and LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL. They cannot be easily mixed without modifications.
All AX15's, AR5's, MA5's, NV3550's, R154's and Toyota R150's (built after 1996) are LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL. To use one of these in a SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL application requires a 1" spacer available from Japanese Auto in Toledo, OH ( http://www.japaneseauto.com/ ), Dellow Automotive or Castlemaine Rod Shop in Australia. Of course, any bellhousing combo one can think of is also available from them...
http://www.dellowauto.com.au/catalog...Automotive.pdf
http://www.rodshop.com.au/
ALL Toyota R150's and R151's built before 1996 are SHORT SHAFT\SHORT BELL. These CANNOT be used in a LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL application or with LONG SHAFT\LONG BELL adapter plates.
Pic 3: Example of a LONG SHAFT transmission hooked up to a SHORT BELL with a Dellow Automotive spacer
The Jeep AX5's 7.5" input shaft does not allow it to be used with the Toyota G and W series bellhousings unless a spacer is fabricated OR the input shaft is swapped between them. (Apparently the short 6.5" G series Toyota input shaft can be made to work in an AX5 case and vice versa). The one exception is shown below.
The Jeep NV1500 has the longest input shaft of the group at 8.6".
Pic 4: All of the large pattern transmissions.
Pic 5: All of the small pattern transmissions.
Trans First Second Third Fourth Fifth
AX15 - 3.83 2.33 1.44 1.00 0.79
AR5 - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729
MA5 - 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729 (Colorado/Canyon/Hummer H3)
MA5 - 3.75 2.26 1.51 1.00 0.729 (Solstice/Sky)
R150 - 3.83 2.062 1.436 1.00 0.838
R151 - 4.31 3.32 1.52 1.00 0.83
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75
NV1500- 3.85 2.25 1.48 1.00 0.80
NV3550 - 4.01 2.32 1.40 1.00 0.78
Aftermarket gearset by OS Giken for Toyota R, GM/Isuzu AR5 and Jeep AX15: 2.701 1.614 1.215
Pic 6: Front bearing covers are interchangeable between the Toyota R series, AX15, MA5, and AR5. NV3550, AX5 and W series are not interchangeable. The 92 and earlier Jeep AX15 front cover is aluminum and takes a hydraulic throwout bearing. The 93 and later AX15 uses an external slave and clutch arm. It's cast iron. The Toyota front cover has a shorter nose of a smaller diameter and is also cast iron.
So... there's no shortage of parts for these gearboxes. Any good shop can rebuild them and they are still not that expensive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Greg55_99 : 03-04-2008 at 07:05 PM.
For those Jeep gents that have broken AX5's laying around, Don't ditch the bellhousing. It may be used in a Toyota application and can bolt up any GM 60 degree engine (3.4/3.1/2.8 Chevy V6, Buick 3800 V6, Isuzu 3.2/3.5 V6, etc....) to the Toyota G series and W series tranismissions.
Pic 1 is a Toyota W58 out of a Supra hooked up to an AX5 bellhousing.
Pic 2 shows the AX5 bell planted up to a Chevy Camaro 3.4L V6.
Pic 3 For this to work with the AX5 bell, you'd need the thick (heavy) flywheel from a Camaro/Firebird. It places the clutch disk back far enough to completely engage the splines on the short W/G series input shaft. That's got to be at least 1 3/4" from the back of the block to the front face of the flywheel. The S10 flywheel is shorter (more narrow) and won't work.
Pic 4 is a bellhousing also with the GM 60 degree pattern from the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L hooked up nicely to an R154 5-speed out 87-92 Toyota Turbo Supra. It also requires the use of the Camaro 3.4L V6 flywheel.
Note: This information applies only to the Rear Wheel Drive versions of the 2.8\3.1\3.4L V6. They have the starter on the passenger side which clears the bellhousing. The Front Wheel Drive versions of these engines, 3100\3400\3500\3900 V6's have the starters on the driver side of the block. That would require either cutting into the bellhousing or finding a way to bolt the starter on the opposite side. Also, FWD flywheels are a different diameter than the RWD flywheels.
EDIT:
Here's the same stuff and more A LOT MORE with pictures.
CLICKY!

Now riddel me this, what 6 speed 2 wheel drive transmission will work? I know that some Supras had them, so I assume some Yota/Jeep bell housing swaping may be possible, input shafts might be a different story though? Does a T-56 have the same bellhousing mount/adapter as the T-5, if so this could be another possiblilty? Oh, well more searching awaits.

- Lee

Last edited by bigdaddylee82; 09-06-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Quote:
Now riddel me this, what 6 speed 2 wheel drive transmission will work? I know that some Supras had them, so I assume some Yota/Jeep bell housing swaping may be possible, input shafts might be a different story though? Does a T-56 have the same bellhousing mount/adapter as the T-5, if so this could be another possiblilty? Oh, well more searching awaits.

- Lee
The Supra's used a Getrag V160 IIRC. I'm not sure just how swapable parts are on this transmission. It may well be possible...but it ain't gonna be cheap to get your hands on one of those transmissions. The 3.827 first gear isn't bad, but it's no better than the Toyota truck transmissions. The OD/6th is slightly taller, but not much. It still might be a help though.

I'm not much help on the T56. I'm sure it could be made to work, especially with Randii's technique. The limiting factor in terms of strength would then be the small clutch you would have to run. I don't know that there's much in the way of aftermarket clutches for the V-6's, but I do know that even the 4T65E has a tough time with a mildly modded L67.

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 109586
Hey Guys,

For, Reliability, Performance, Parts Availibility, Fuel efficiency,... You Simply cannot beat the L36 or L67.

How about Wards Top 10 Worlds Best engine list 3 times.

Did I mention that there dirt CHEAP!

O.K., I'm done now.

Thanks, Kiwi

PS, Lee, Thanks for plugging My threads.
Kiwipushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Smittybought

Member # 54666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod View Post
Hey Guys,
PS, Lee, Thanks for plugging My threads.
No problem Kiwi. Thank you for going to all of the trouble and sharing.

For my curiosity's sake, and just in case anyone in the future stumbles upon this thread wanting some 6 speed info; here's some links on adapting the T-56 6 speed to a GM 3800 L36/L67.

T-56 in a V6 3800 L36 Camaro

Adapter to swap from a T-5 to a T-56

- Lee

Last edited by bigdaddylee82; 09-07-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 8937
My built 3400 gets it!

#199/4499 - Maxxis, PSC, Superior Axle and Gear, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Valley Transmission, High Angle Driveline, Warn, Sway-a-way.

Facebook
mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote