OTC carrier bearing puller - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
OTC carrier bearing puller

Anyone have or use one these? I know it's not the super-bitchin' clamshell type, but I don't have the need to setup axles everyday.... just the occasional axle here and there over the years.
Attached Images

KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Last edited by Mechanos; 10-22-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21914
Probably pulled over 1000 carrier bearings with that style puller. The only problems are:

1. Getting under the bearing far enough to reach the inner race - sometimes you need to grind the "feet" of the pullers to make it work. Then they tend to break...so buy extras.
2. On tough bearings the puller may spread under pressure - I've used a simple c-clamp to prevent that with good success.

Regards,
Ron
www.desertraceschool.com
Racing Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4140
I have the same basic puller, but a Snap-On. Ron is right on with his assessment.

There is no accounting for taste

1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, [B][COLOR="Red"]2008[/COLOR][/B].
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Ron View Post
Probably pulled over 1000 carrier bearings with that style puller. The only problems are:

1. Getting under the bearing far enough to reach the inner race - sometimes you need to grind the "feet" of the pullers to make it work. Then they tend to break...so buy extras.
2. On tough bearings the puller may spread under pressure - I've used a simple c-clamp to prevent that with good success.

Regards,
Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I have the same basic puller, but a Snap-On. Ron is right on with his assessment.
What is both of your experiences with using it on a D60? Were you able to get under the bearing without doing a bunch of grinding on the feet?
KC0UIC

Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 43184
If you add a splitter to that combo, you can very easily do all your bearings on your 60.

You want a good sized one. Around 6 inch.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post
If you add a splitter to that combo, you can very easily do all your bearings on your 60.

Thanks... I already have a splitter and 20 ton press, so the pinion bearings won't be a problem. I just need a puller for the carrier bearings.
KC0UIC

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 43184
Nice.

The splitter is usually hand on the carrier as well. Sometimes you have to cut the cage off and catch the top lip of the inner race, but it works well.

Wear glasses and gloves on those. I managed a few stitches from a race lip that blew a chunk off it while pulling
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
Quote:

Thats exactly what I do.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Got .45?

Member # 9274
save up and get the one from randys. it is freaking awesome! + you could pull other guys bearings and charge them a little to pay for it.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8512
Send a message via AIM to bronco75
Quote:

Thats what I have used for many years. Used just the puller to start and then added the spreader and it works much better. Only difference is all my stuff is snap on.

OutBack Auto 4WD and Fab
MV4W.com
bronco75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjeep7 View Post
save up and get the one from randys. it is freaking awesome! + you could pull other guys bearings and charge them a little to pay for it.
It's not a matter of saving up... I could buy 6 or 7 of them today if I wanted to. It's a matter of spending that amount of coin on something I will seldom use. Now if I was setting up axles for a living or had a line of people around the corner wanting me to set up their axles, it would be a different story. Doing one or two axles every 4 or 5 years just isn't enough for me to justify spending that kind of money on tooling.
KC0UIC

Old 10-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 52
that will work fine with a 60.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 43184
I have to disagree there. I donít think the randyís puller is worth the money, even if you do a lot of gears. But Im a jeep guy, maybe they work better on larger stuff then do on 30ís, 35ís, 44ís, amc 20ís, or 8.8ís.

Those are the diffs I deal with most, and the randyís puller wont do the carrier bearings on the majority of them. Specially rubicon 44ís, but those are just fawked anyways.

Because Im Canadian the shipping was a bitch, and I basically paid 700$ for a pinion bearing puller.

Thatís my 2 cents. I do use it on pinions, but it was a bit of a waste. Hindsight, I would have bought a better 2 jaw like the one above and continued to use my splitter.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 37866
If you don't need to save the bearing I've just used a 3" cut off wheel for bearing removal for about 20 years. Cut off the cage, cut about 2/3's into the inner race and smack the cut with a chisel and your done. I work in a Ford shop and thats pretty much how all the flat raters do it

Last edited by 1sicbronconut; 10-23-2008 at 02:41 PM.
1sicbronconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25377
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicbronconut View Post
If you don't need to save the bearing I've just used a 3" cut off wheel for bearing removal for about 20 years. Cut off the cage, cut about 2/3's into the inner race and smack the cut with a chisel and your done. I work in a Ford shop and thats pretty much how all the flat raters do it
Then I assume you use setup bearings when setting the gears?
Billy
Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Found it online for a little more than half of what the local tool store wants. Ordered it this afternoon.
KC0UIC

Old 10-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 187
Quote:
I have to disagree there. I donít think the randyís puller is worth the money, even if you do a lot of gears. But Im a jeep guy, maybe they work better on larger stuff then do on 30ís, 35ís, 44ís, amc 20ís, or 8.8ís.

then sir you are a TOOL it works all the way down to little mg and triumph diffs you just have to be smarter then the tool you are useing

GearMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23262
I have used one like the op showed in the first pic but mine is a Snap-on, it works ok with the noted exceptions. This is what I use most of the time though.

Gus

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 18433
Quote:

Those are the diffs I deal with most, and the randyís puller wont do the carrier bearings on the majority of them. Specially rubicon 44ís, but those are just fawked anyways.

Because Im Canadian the shipping was a bitch, and I basically paid 700$ for a pinion bearing puller.

Thatís my 2 cents. I do use it on pinions, but it was a bit of a waste. Hindsight, I would have bought a better 2 jaw like the one above and continued to use my splitter.
Dude that tool is awesome!! I bought one to do the bearings when i was building axles for my jeep that i never finished. That thing is worth evrey penny, and ive made my money back on it "renting" it out to people i know that needed it. Way easier than dicking around with jaw pullers and shit like that. I believe my buddy also got it to work on his 14b as well. Def worth it.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
I have to disagree there. I don’t think the randy’s puller is worth the money, even if you do a lot of gears. But Im a jeep guy, maybe they work better on larger stuff then do on 30’s, 35’s, 44’s, amc 20’s, or 8.8’s.

Those are the diffs I deal with most, and the randy’s puller wont do the carrier bearings on the majority of them. Specially rubicon 44’s, but those are just fawked anyways.

That’s my 2 cents. I do use it on pinions, but it was a bit of a waste. Hindsight, I would have bought a better 2 jaw like the one above and continued to use my splitter.
Really? I used it without issue on:

AMC20
D30
D44
9.25"
8.25"

I'll gladly take that piece of shit off your hands for the cost of shipping.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 05-27-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
I know somebody revived an old ass thread... but you can get the dope ass bearing puller kit including the D70HD/D80 clamshells for $250 from Extreme Custom Parts:

http://extremecustomparts.com/i-3611...2-on-sale.html

I ordered mine from them and am very pleased with it, done quite a few axles with them, D30 up to D60 so far... haven't needed to use the big clamshells yet.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 43184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Really? I used it without issue on:

AMC20
D30
D44
9.25"
8.25"

I'll gladly take that piece of shit off your hands for the cost of shipping.
You can have it for the 700 I got raped for since I've used it maybe half dozen times in the last hundred re gears I've done.

I find a splitter, press, and a couple jigs work better.

Its an alright unit, but it isnt the be all end all.

And there are a few bearings it doesnt pull. Rubicon 44 diaphram side on the carrier is one that instantly comes to mind.

Whatever, to each their own.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 135453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Dude that tool is awesome!! I bought one to do the bearings when i was building axles for my jeep that i never finished. That thing is worth evrey penny, and ive made my money back on it "renting" it out to people i know that needed it. Way easier than dicking around with jaw pullers and shit like that. I believe my buddy also got it to work on his 14b as well. Def worth it.
Totally agree to go clamshell...if you can justify the coin. I went with the uber-expensive ARB version because I can't stand Randy's made in some 3rd world country quality. Absolutely no damage to the bearing (or shims) and the thing works very nice.
trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 410473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
Anyone have or use one these? I know it's not the super-bitchin' clamshell type, but I don't have the need to setup axles everyday.... just the occasional axle here and there over the years.
Hey guys.. I just received this same puller to use on my 9" diff. My cage already got damaged from trying 3-jaw pullers so I cut it off. But I can't seem to use this tool to grab the race on the carrier - it keeps slipping because there is very little to grab onto.

Looking at pictures of others using this tool, they are removing the bearing entirely, with cage and all. Is that the way to use this OTC puller? Doesn't the ring get all bent up in the process?

I ended up grinding + chiseling the races, but wondering if I should return or keep this, since it didn't really work for me (but maybe I was using it wrong).

Much thanks

Last edited by Montrose; 03-25-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 187
Quote:

Those are the diffs I deal with most, and the randyís puller wont do the carrier bearings on the majority of them.
WOW. ive probly used mine to pull over 20,000 of those carrier bearings on those diffs.you must be doing something wrong.

GearMan is offline   Reply With Quote