Home made snow plow ideas - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
Home made snow plow ideas

Well, we got our first big snow in Durango and my little gas getter couldn't make it out of the driveway. Stole my girl's TJ to go to work. Anyhow, I'm thinking of making a cheap snow plow to mount to my big Jeep (just for driveway plowing). My question though is whether I can mount the plow A frame to a couple brackets on my front axle (HD D44). I saw that KAZ did this, but his A frame is mounted to rockwells (little difference there).

If anyone has experience, can you give advice on whether this is a good or bad idea? It seems to be the easiest way, but not sure whether there are any major negative impacts to my front axle.

The other idea is to build a removable A frame support that connects to my front receiver hitch. With my idea, this would take much more fabrication than mounting to the axle. If it matters, the front is a four link with coils.

Any advice/tech is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
interested to see how this works out. it hasnt snowed huge in MD in awhile but just a little bit makes it interesting getting up the mountain on our half mile driveway. i've been thinkin about this for our big jeep to plow and have been looking for ideas.
BIGELOW MOTORSPORTS #4413
DOUG38S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
A local guy has a set of tabs comming off of his full hydro ram mount on his Dana 44. He uses the winch to raise and lower. No hydro-turn though, he just pulls a pin and turns it if necessary.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
That's what I was thinking. I would just weld tabs to the axle tubes (out of the way for crawling though), and use the winch to raise or lower. I too would use a pin to turn the blade angle.

Best thoughts on budget blade construction??? Angle iron blade frame and lexan for the plow surface/face. Long piece of 2" X 3/16" X length of plow for the actual blade...
Old 12-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38200
It's kinda crude, but my dad had a homemade plow on his Willy's back in the 70's. No pivot, no power lift. The plow was lifted manually and held by a chain to the A-frame for traveling. When dropped for plowing, cams on the back of the blade would lift it a few inches when going backwards.

Last edited by Quick & Dirty; 12-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Quick & Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
if you were pushing on an axle located with leaves and the shackle in the front I would say there is a chance of bending leaves by the back perch. Since you're linked and coiled, I don't see any way this isn't okay. that's actually the ideal situation for this kind of deal on a crawler. DO IT.

If you can fab that you can surely do a plow. you don't have any old steel tanks laying around needing to be cut up do you? there's a sloped piece of steel. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
Your ORI strut dealer along with about anyting else you need!
team Nasty co dog
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67889
6 pins to install.

jeepgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 113619
Send a message via Yahoo to stjames151
I wouldn't connect it to the axle tube. Too much chance the blade gets caught and bends the tube or something like that. I like the pins on the frame behind the springs.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 67907
For the blade just hunt around for a truck blade without any mounts, they can usually be had for cheap. I scored mine for $100
Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
The thought of bending the axle tube makes me feel less comfortable. What about connecting the A frame ends to the actual lower link mounts on the axle? That way any force is actually on the links, not on the axle itself...

any thoughts on this?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50419
KAZU (kaz here) set up his yj with a plow

Got a new plow truck.

Originally I was going to just weld tabs on the axle and call it good, but I had clearance issues with my tires and leaf springs.

So I made this hideous monstrosity of a bracket. "Push Plate" is what, I believe they call it in the Plowing business.
I used what I had laying around and it's removable and really rugged.

Murphy's Law Motorsports #816
Check us out on FACEBOOK

Kessler Machine & Fabricating, Fox Racing, Raceline Wheels, Yukon Axle & Gear, B.F. Goodrich, NEA4WD, PAC Racing Springs, Spiegel Scrap Metal, Griffin Radiators, Baja Designs,AMSOIL, Flexcon Industries, Ruffstuff, HOWE performance
imagineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
The thought of bending the axle tube makes me feel less comfortable. What about connecting the A frame ends to the actual lower link mounts on the axle? That way any force is actually on the links, not on the axle itself...

any thoughts on this?
I have to wonder what you're going to hit with your plow that is going to be worse than ramming into a rock at 15mph on the trail when you're getting it I drive by braille and don't have trouble with bending my axle tubes if you're worried about load in that direction, put the tab on the front of the axle 180* around the tube in line with the link mount.
Your ORI strut dealer along with about anyting else you need!
team Nasty co dog
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 94186
why not do what red green did on his show take a mens room door and duct tape it to the front of your vehicle
Old 12-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
Similar to the one below...

Yeah, I was also thinking I could just make the mount 180* of link mount. This will just be crawling through the driveway with the plow. So I agree that I can't think of much thats going to destroy my rig. I think I'll go with the tabs 180 of the link mounts. But I've been wrong before

Thanks guys...still trying to figure the best/cheapest way to make the actual plow though...

Thanks,
Charlie
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 61635
Attached Images

ls1toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Maybe a old 55 gal drum, cut in half lengthway. Weld some angle to the back of it for a brace and make some brackets. I've seen this on an old tri-cycle gear tractor. Crude, but it will move some snow.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71446
Send a message via AIM to WHITE RHINO
not for snow but could have worked with some mods. i made this out of rusted shitty pipe i found on my property to move brush around
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6170
I've heard some guys make small plow blades for early cjs out of old water heater tanks. Any tank thats big enough will work, just make sure nothings been in it awhile before you cut it open.

However, I'd second looking around for a used blade.

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 110304
Your best bet, as said before, for doing it cheep, and having it work, would be building a drop bracket and picking it up by the winch. As for the plow angles and either sheet metal or lexan. Ability to angle would be key if you wanted to do more then just the drive way. If you build it yourself trip springs are a necessity or the first time it catches something bad things can happen.

I would have done it that way but I like to be different. I have the hookup with forming so my total cost was $120 with the marker sticks.

Without some trail and error or fancy math, having the push point be other then horizontal doesn't work. I definitely would not mount it to the axle. I'm not sure but I think that would put undue strain on the front suspension, especially in 2wd.

Try asking these guys they seemed to be helpful with mine.
http://www.plowsite.com/
wkbrdngsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
Finally finished!

Well, I finally got the plow finished. The plow lady didn't show up for the last two snow storms, so I was on a mission.

I originally planned to make the plow out of cut in half 55 gal drums with a steel backbone/support. The logical side of my brain was taking a nap apparently. Once I cut the drums in half I realized they lost all structural integrity because they were no longer a cylinder.

So, I decided to use the metal I had laying around. Had a big sheet of 3/16" plate steel. Bought a new metal cutting wheel at the steel yard to cut mild steel (for use on circular saw). Thing was amazing. Cut three strips of the plate steel no problem.

So I made a blade that was like half of a hexagon with angle iron backbone/support. Built a frame mount to the front receiver hitch and has also has two 1/2" bolts on both sides of frame (sway bar mount brackets flipped outside of framerail) for more support.

I have a quick mount Ramsey winch on the Jeep, so I just threw a piece of 2" square on my plow frame to mount the winch. I just use the winch to raise and lower the blade. The blade was built on a pivot, so I threw a tractor link on there to adjust the blade angle. It kind of fitting, see as how I run tractor joints on my lowers on the suspension.

The plow lady happened to drive by and saw the new plow. She called to ask whether I still needed her to plow. I told her I was good. She asked if I was chained up. I said no, but it helps to be locked running 5psi in the tires. Anyway here are some pics. It moves a lot of snow and makes my life a little easier so far. Remember this is driveway only in low gear, so not too worried about trip springs or super beefcake.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
More...
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
KAZ

Member # 61460
Looks great man!

One thing that I realized when thinking about making my own plow blade was the "trip edge".

If you hit a not so flat spot on the driveway or in my case a rock( I plow a paved section and a dirt section) the lower part of the blade trips and saves the blade and or the pavement. I think you'll be fine if it's just nice flat pavement, but out here in the northeast there is no such thing.

With your design, I think it would be easy to incorporate a "trip blade" where the entire blade trips. You could use old shocks for it.

KAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ View Post
With your design, I think it would be easy to incorporate a "trip blade" where the entire blade trips. You could use old shocks for it.
Sounds very similar to how an ATV plow tips, at least mine. Really, looking at an ATV plow ought to give anyone a good idea how to fab one. Two long bars going to brackets to the frame, and the winch to raise/lower.

Interesting idea, I should make one for my Jeep for next winter.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
ATV plow, whole blade pivots down (pulls the springs) when it trips.

The handle is just for raising/lowering, that would be done instead by the winch. I would think the lower & lower those two push bars are, the better force put to the plow and less it would want to jack under (just like long arms over short arms...).

On my quad, I know I trip the whole plow a couple times each plow session. Mainly because I'm going too fast and not being careful.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31211
Thanks KAZ. I appreciate the tips. I thought about making the trip spring set up, but I wanted to get this going and get plowing.

I keep it in granny 1st and low in the TC. I'm at about 80:1 with 37s so I go pretty slow. I have lifted the front tires off the ground a few times when the blade digs down into the snow. I'm going slow enough that I just hit the clutch raise the blade a little and keep going.

I also realized that if I only reel out the slack I need that when the blade "bites" down it will not lift the front tires because there's not enough slack in the winch line.

One of the benefits of not having the trip blade (and having the 45* down angle on the blade) I found is that the blade will dig into the snow pretty well instead of just grazing the top of the hard stuff.

I tried to build the setup so that I could easily add the trip springs in the future. I also figure that I will make a lock out arm if I want to dig down deeper without tripping the blade.

It works well for now and I wouldn't get far in the heep before being pulled over on the road, so I'm only plowing my own driveway.

I really dig your rig and like the way you mounted the plow to the front axle. I thought about doing that and then figured my front 44 ain't even in the same universe as the Rocks so I passed on that idea. Thanks again for your pics and some inspiration.

If I ever add the trip, I'll update the thread with pics.

Oh yeah, this setup cost me about $120 (cut off blade, bolts, and angle iron). Granted I had the rest of the steel laying around, but still pretty cheap compared to a real unit (although not great for high speed or rocky roads).

Charlie