Coilover Shock Angle? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 130484
Coilover Shock Angle?

I was wondering if any one has angled there rear coil overs to the rear of the vehicle instead of the typical forward lean? I have a 52' willys wagon and the coil overs need to lean rearward to clear my rear seat. But I have not seen a rig with this setup.
TBI 350, NP 435, Jed's 203-205 doubler,NWF Cable Shifter, HP Dana 60 Front/spooled, FF 14 Bolt Rear/Detriot, 5.13 gears, Full Hydro, One Link Front and Rear w/ 2.5 x 18" SAW's 39.5 Boggers on DIY Beadlocks
wikedwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3547
I used to.

It has exactly the same effect no matter which angle you lean them.

Others will try and tell you different, but I can't figure out the reason it would be.

Angle from vertical is angle from vertical - even compound (in AND fwd, for example)
BillaVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillaVista View Post
I used to.

It has exactly the same effect no matter which angle you lean them.

Others will try and tell you different, but I can't figure out the reason it would be.

Angle from vertical is angle from vertical - even compound (in AND fwd, for example)
You are correct, but there is one difference, you will lose travel mounting them to the rear of the rig. As the axle swings it will travel away from the shock instead or towords it. The difference may be nothing to care about, or may be a lot, epending on how it is mounted and how short your links are.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools www.widia.com
Sterling Autosport www.sterlingautosport.com/
PSC www.pscmotorsports.com/
Ruffstuff www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
Tom Woods Drive Shafts www.4xshaft.com
www.facebook.com/buckwildracing
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44416
Quote:
When leaning forward (generally), the arc the axle travels on is towards a 1:1 ratio with the shock, which is when the shock is most effective.

I don't think it's the angle that matters per se, but if the angle from the shock is less than 90, and in some point in the travel goes past 90 the shock loses efficiency since the axle is more or less pivoting on it at that point.

If that makes sense.
034x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 130484
Thanks for the info my problem is I went with 2.5 coil overs and I want to put my shocks at some angle to make up for the fact that all the 16" and 18" x 3.0 springs are pretty heavy. And I don't want to be stuck with to heavy of springs. So I was hoping by angling them I would decrease the there rating enough to provide a lighter spring rate. I could mount the shock vertical with 10 degrees of inward lean but I don't know if that will be enough. Does any body have some #'s on what they are running in the rear just to get some ideas ( vehicle,angle,spring rate) I know every ones different but just trying to get some ideas. Don't want to build it twice
TBI 350, NP 435, Jed's 203-205 doubler,NWF Cable Shifter, HP Dana 60 Front/spooled, FF 14 Bolt Rear/Detriot, 5.13 gears, Full Hydro, One Link Front and Rear w/ 2.5 x 18" SAW's 39.5 Boggers on DIY Beadlocks
wikedwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Sorry, I should have clarified - I meant in terms of the effect the angle has on wheel rate, independant of the link geometry (and therefore the arc described by the axle as it travels) as that wasn't a variable given.

Good pick up guys, thanks.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3547
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikedwillys View Post
Thanks for the info my problem is I went with 2.5 coil overs and I want to put my shocks at some angle to make up for the fact that all the 16" and 18" x 3.0 springs are pretty heavy. And I don't want to be stuck with to heavy of springs. So I was hoping by angling them I would decrease the there rating enough to provide a lighter spring rate. I could mount the shock vertical with 10 degrees of inward lean but I don't know if that will be enough. Does any body have some #'s on what they are running in the rear just to get some ideas ( vehicle,angle,spring rate) I know every ones different but just trying to get some ideas. Don't want to build it twice

Try some calcs using the calculator here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lovers/Part_1/

you can put in your available spring rates then vary the angles for mounting and observe the effects on the wheel rate.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. DJ

Member # 85595
Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified - I meant in terms of the effect the angle has on wheel rate, independant of the link geometry (and therefore the arc described by the axle as it travels) as that wasn't a variable given.

Good pick up guys, thanks.
ya know, you should write a tech article on coilovers.......

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748821

web wheeler...
DJ404564X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikedwillys View Post
Get the exact unsprung weight and go from there. These things are picky, you have to get the right spring rate.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools www.widia.com
Sterling Autosport www.sterlingautosport.com/
PSC www.pscmotorsports.com/
Ruffstuff www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
Tom Woods Drive Shafts www.4xshaft.com
www.facebook.com/buckwildracing
Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
PIRATE CONFORMEE

Member # 77389
rate changes shouldn't really take effect unless you pass 25* more important would be travel limitations IMO
MT TUBEKRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote