Time to go FASTer - 4WD Class 1 KOH car - Page 63 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #1551 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE S View Post
The only time I pushed was when I was right on the 110 car. I was not going to drive slow and stay in his dust. Thats just not safe! And I had some clean air so it was a good time to make the pass.

In the 100 miles that I drove the only time the car was wide open was off the start line and when I passed the 110. Most of the time it was half throttle.
Cool mike more info to process. It was cool to see it go like that.
ZukIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #1552 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133025
Dave, I appreciate you went out on a limb to have Kirby create something different. I was actually awe struck the first time you showed me the car in Nevada. The quality, craftsmanship, and design impressed the hell out of me.

I've been disappointed with the problems you've had to endure, just as you are. But I never doubted for a minute that you wouldn't get the car sorted. With mixed emotions, I'm waiting for the day to come when your car dominates KOH/Ultra4. I keep thinking it won't be long, I hope soon I'm right.

You'll have my support, and best wishes for as long as you keep dialing the car in. When you start dominating, hey you're on your own. I'd be proud to provide any assistance I'm able to, to help you. Hope you know that.

Just a phone call away, Gene.
easyspops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #1553 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
how about tech

these uberfast rockracers are using parts in ways that they were not intended. running the 1000 for instance.

how are the rcv outer joints holding up? this truck has done a lot of racing. how many of those 8 ball rcv joints have you worn out? how about the 935 cvs at the inner?

how much service has your rack and pinion seen? you run the 2.75 howe unit right? still tight? are you running 1.5:1 or 1:1?

any probs with the atlas? you run a cooler to the atlas right?

how the hell did you bend the TW rear axle? did you truss it 2nd time around?

i have read this build thread so many times i know what pages have what pictures
laproscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #1554 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by laproscopic View Post
how about tech

these uberfast rockracers are using parts in ways that they were not intended. running the 1000 for instance.

how are the rcv outer joints holding up? this truck has done a lot of racing. how many of those 8 ball rcv joints have you worn out? how about the 935 cvs at the inner?

how much service has your rack and pinion seen? you run the 2.75 howe unit right? still tight? are you running 1.5:1 or 1:1?

any probs with the atlas? you run a cooler to the atlas right?

how the hell did you bend the TW rear axle? did you truss it 2nd time around?

i have read this build thread so many times i know what pages have what pictures
Awesome questions.

I have not broken or gotten the RCV's past the point of functionality yet. I have replaced them 3 times in the 5000 miles the car has on it this year.

The 934's at the inner are still the same. I have a minor twist in one of the half shafts. Same inner stubs.

I broke a 3.0 Atlas early on. Replaced and then switched to a 2.0. No cooler anymore. The 2.0 looks brand new with at least 3000 miles on it.

The rear housing got a dent in the front from a rock. When the car was rolled before powder puff, the force found the weak part of the housing (dent) and bent it pretty bad.

JR did an amazing job of straightening and trussing. Amazing work!

We found a fix for the Kevko pan leaking. Switched hydraulic line material. Rewired the car completely. Wayne and Jess fixed my driveline vibes. We fought the fuel system gremlins and finally have a solution. Upgraded to 3.0 bypasses.... It's been a crazy year.

Pro Am Rack. Was running a prototype in a non standard mounting configuration. Wore out the bushings and ended up replacing with an upgraded unit. Greasing is your friend. Gotta use the right grease
Old 11-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #1555 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Dave I could easily ask on one of the many phone calls we enjoy, but I think others may be interested in this question as well. Can you explain how Wayne and Jess fixed your Driveline vibration. I know it seems to be a common problem with the rear engine cars when they try to get around the motor. I felt a pretty bad vibration on the 4467 at V2R. Not sure if it was a TC problem or Driveshaft but I am interested in what you guys did non the less.

Not that I have a car in my future.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #1556 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
thanks dave

one of the biggest expenses on these ifs machines is the steering. i have been debating on skipping on the trophy truck rack to use the 2.5 rack. Howe has talked me out of the the 2.5. this stuff aint cheap

fun following the evolutuion of your car. I would love to see it in person. u wont be running the henderson 250 first week of dec will u?

Last edited by laproscopic; 11-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #1557 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam View Post
The rear housing got a dent in the front from a rock. When the car was rolled before powder puff, the force found the weak part of the housing (dent) and bent it pretty bad.
Interesting point to note--even if you have an uber-tough part, a ding/dent in it makes a stress point/weak spot that could very well be the failure point if it gets pushed too hard the next time. Could apply to links, driveline, cage tubing, hard lines, soft lines, etc. Something we can all learn from.

props to JR for his fix!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #1558 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28177
Dave do you mean switching hydraulic line material solved the leak in your kevko beyond adding the bolt in between the an fittings? Maybe you found the hose was inflexible and it was pulling against the AN fittings enough to tweak them? Or the lines themselves where also leaking?

You are an absolute unrelenting animal of an optimist to keep pushing the bar this far on your own dime. I'm in awe
whypave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #1559 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 66885
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam View Post

I broke a 3.0 Atlas early on. Replaced and then switched to a 2.0. No cooler anymore. The 2.0 looks brand new with at least 3000 miles on it.
Hmmm, I just grenaded my 3.8 tuning new motor on the dyno and was gonna swap to a 3.0, now you got me thinking. Not sure what went first on mine, fluid or the bearing but it sure messed the whole unit up. What let go on the 3.0 case if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
Can you explain how Wayne and Jess fixed your Driveline vibration. I know it seems to be a common problem with the rear engine cars when they try to get around the motor. I felt a pretty bad vibration on the 4467 at V2R. Not sure if it was a TC problem or Driveshaft but I am interested in what you guys did non the less.
I'm wondering if this is/was part of my problem also. I've always had a weird vibe and never could figure out if it was the shaft or the t-case. Now that my atlas went I'm wondering if the shaft vibes might have helped cause it or if something in the case was the culprit all along. I'd be curious to know the answer to Daves driveshaft vibe fix too.
Slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #1560 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
Dave I could easily ask on one of the many phone calls we enjoy, but I think others may be interested in this question as well. Can you explain how Wayne and Jess fixed your Driveline vibration. I know it seems to be a common problem with the rear engine cars when they try to get around the motor. I felt a pretty bad vibration on the 4467 at V2R. Not sure if it was a TC problem or Driveshaft but I am interested in what you guys did non the less.

Not that I have a car in my future.
I'll start & let Dave fill in the blanks.

You and I are both living vicariously thru dave as far as race cars go Jefe
Attached Images

www.alltechmotorsports.com

wayne@alltechmotorsports.com new e-mail address!

Congratulations to Alltech customers
Erik Miller, 2012 KING of the Hammers
Rick Mooneyham 2012 2nd place
John Currie/Gerald Lee 1st place EMC
Derek West for 4 pole positions in 2012
And all our customers who finished or took
the green flag!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #1561 (permalink)

Member # 19077
Rock and Roll Dave.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #1562 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukIzzy View Post
I'll start & let Dave fill in the blanks.

You and I are both living vicariously thru dave as far as race cars go Jefe
More info? Grease fitting or oil cap? Thinking Grease would not be the answer. Whats the deal Wayne?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #1563 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Jeff there was a whole thread about it. It's oil filled and adds another joint so the two shaft section can cancel independently.... kissing the vibes goodbye
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #1564 (permalink)
D-FENS

Member # 31414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Jeff there was a whole thread about it. It's oil filled and adds another joint so the two shaft section can cancel independently.... kissing the vibes goodbye
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=928766
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #1565 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1SCOUT View Post
Thanks, I did a couple searches and couldn't track it down.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #1566 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1SCOUT View Post
This car seems to be going faster all the time. But KOH is less than 3 months away. This machine will weigh over 4000 lbs in koh prep. The 2.0 tcase seems nice for fast paced east coast stuff. But i have wheeled the hammers and they are technical and slow. How is that truck in the slow stuff with those high gears? Are you going to change to a 3.0 for hammers?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #1567 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6576
A 2.0 t case is plenty for KOH. You are not crawlin the rocks, you are bouncing through them as fast as you can
Rage 4th............ "safety is our #2 concern"
1uglyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #1568 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 82770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrockr View Post
Hmmm, I just grenaded my 3.8 tuning new motor on the dyno and was gonna swap to a 3.0, now you got me thinking. Not sure what went first on mine, fluid or the bearing but it sure messed the whole unit up. What let go on the 3.0 case if you don't mind me asking?
X2, and why did you go away from the cooler, I am planning on running one next year.
Pac Springs
Dynomax
King Shocks
Spidertrax
lxh0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #1569 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 98865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwag View Post
For Fawks sake, enough with the second guessing. Shiat happens, stuff breaks. The torchmate truck didn't go 5 miles before it blew the tranny, Norman and Lance gave up a win because the lights fell off, and there are a hundred more stories just like it. Its called racing, just because you drive your rig on the trail every weekend without breaking doesnt mean it can finish the Baja1000, its a RACE not a weekend camping trip. The comments about Mike overdriving make me giggle...he's won the mil 3 times and dont forget about rock crawling events either!!! I think he knows how to drive.

Great Job Dave, you no doubt gave it your best, and that in itself is inspiring.
We didn't just blow a tranny. We lost 2nd and 3rd gear in our brand new tranny that had about 50 miles of shakedown on it. Yep, it happened about mile 4. No question that s%&t happens. I can tell you first hand that Mike treats racecars better than anyone I have ever seen behind the wheel. There is a reason that he has won this race so many times and that he was the best person to start this race. The start of the Baja 1000 is not like any other race you have ever experienced. What goes on in the first 35 miles is just flat out terrifying. I have had people prerun it with me and then pull themselves out of the car because it was too much for them.

My hat is off to you guys. We all seemed to suffer a similar fate awfully early this year. It is tough to think about next year when you want to drive your car off a cliff. BUT, next year we will do better. Thanks for letting us be a part of your experience.

We are hiring! Email your resume to our Human Resources Manager at cnichols@torchmate.com and ask about openings.

Buy your consumables here! www.torchmatestore.com
Torchmate Racing Homepage: www.torchmateracing.com
Torchmate CNC Forum here: /forum/125-torchmate-cnc-forum/
Torchmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #1570 (permalink)
MotorsportsSolutions

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Thanks for the Link. I missed that somehow. That is what I thought he may have done looking at the Picture. Great idea.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #1571 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24238
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Mindless Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Mindless
That's an absolutely brilliant fix for mismatched angles.

07.5 C&C Ram 3500 - G56, 245 19.5s, 4x2, ARB
98 Dakota on 42s, RIP - then | now | build
95 Ram 2500 on 42s - v10/auto
87 AMC Eagle Wagon

Fingerlakes 4x4 | M4wd & Fabrication | Right Coast 4x4 | Rock Modified | Rok-Freekz
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #1572 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
That's an absolutely brilliant fix for mismatched angles.
just another pallet from the izzyfabbarnpalletshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukIzzy View Post
Oh and Frequency is for radios
We are all born Arminians. It is grace that turns us into Calvinists
-George Whitefield
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #1573 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94026
While you guys ar still here. Is the bogie held parallel to the motor/trans/atlas? Or did you start cheating angles?
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #1574 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISDTBower View Post
While you guys ar still here. Is the bogie held parallel to the motor/trans/atlas? Or did you start cheating angles?
I am not 100% sure what you are asking but I think what you want to know is....... On daves car we matched the incline angle of the atlas output and since his drivetrain is not angled in the car we were able to just make sure everything was on parallel plains. Then we made sure the pinion angle was the same as the rear of the carrier yoke. This allowed the intermediate shaft and final drive shaft to be standard 2 joint shafts. As you know when designed right the driveshafts should self cancel vibrations.
It may also allow a certain car to loose a few pounds for a few hours if need be or lets you run throught the gears to see if the intermediate shaft will vibrate.

If the drive train is angled then you have to get creative but it can be done with a little work. What you can't do is split the angles, since these are solid mounted they really shake the car bad if you do get a vibration.

Wayne
www.alltechmotorsports.com

wayne@alltechmotorsports.com new e-mail address!

Congratulations to Alltech customers
Erik Miller, 2012 KING of the Hammers
Rick Mooneyham 2012 2nd place
John Currie/Gerald Lee 1st place EMC
Derek West for 4 pole positions in 2012
And all our customers who finished or took
the green flag!

Last edited by ZukIzzy; 11-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #1575 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrockr View Post

I'm wondering if this is/was part of my problem also. I've always had a weird vibe and never could figure out if it was the shaft or the t-case. Now that my atlas went I'm wondering if the shaft vibes might have helped cause it or if something in the case was the culprit all along. I'd be curious to know the answer to Daves driveshaft vibe fix too.

So what actually broke? I'm assuming it was in high range on the dyno?

What broke on yours Dave? Were you in H or L? Sorry bought your hub.

Mine broke last year at Hawthorne 250. The rear axle started banging at RM30 and it got louder as we went so I backed off and babied the car the rest of the way. We crossed the finish line, but couldn't make it to the pits. My best guess, the ring gear lost about 4 teeth in one spot so everytime it came around it wasn't in sync with pinion so it was hammering the whole drive train. the snap ring came loose in the transfer case and then got caught in the gears so it broke off some teeth, then the snap ring in the forward drum in the T400 came out then the drum failed.

I haven't had the Atlas apart this year(yet) so I don't know what it looks like inside. The new LS3 has been murder on R&Ps and the t400 though.