DBW 5.3 = 700R4, what have you done with the TV cable? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
DBW 5.3 = 700R4, what have you done with the TV cable?

Looking at my options. I'm getting an L33 5.3 motor, and I've got a good 700R4 from a TBI350 suburban.

I know there are people out there running this combo, I've seen it talked about in my searches, but I haven't seen what has been done exactly to get it all connected. I am not real familiar with getting the TV cable adjusted, whats involved, etc..

I see a couple options, anyone have feedback on them?

1) Run a fully manual valve body. Should completely eliminate the TV cable. I don't have an issue shifting it, I've heard various levels of happiness/unhappiness with the firmness of shifts. Its a all-around trail Jeep, with the wife and yong boys in it quite a bit.

2) Run an automatic valve body with constant line pressure. Then the cable only controls the kickdown shift points, not line pressure.

3) Convert to a cable throttle body. My understanding is the cable TB has an IAC, and the DBW doesn't? How would the IAC work, then?

4) Run the TV cable off the pedal itself. Is this reliable enough to control the TV cable correctly to not damage the trans?

Then, of course, there always options 5 and 6.

5) Run a TH350 and hate life at 60mph(36s, 5.13 gears), which this Jeep will see.

6) Run a 4L60e, (which I don't have) and sort out the VSS stuff.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vortec Scout II

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Looking at my options. I'm getting an L33 5.3 motor, and I've got a good 700R4 from a TBI350 suburban.

I know there are people out there running this combo, I've seen it talked about in my searches, but I haven't seen what has been done exactly to get it all connected. I am not real familiar with getting the TV cable adjusted, whats involved, etc..

I see a couple options, anyone have feedback on them?

1) Run a fully manual valve body. Should completely eliminate the TV cable. I don't have an issue shifting it, I've heard various levels of happiness/unhappiness with the firmness of shifts. Its a all-around trail Jeep, with the wife and yong boys in it quite a bit.

2) Run an automatic valve body with constant line pressure. Then the cable only controls the kickdown shift points, not line pressure.

3) Convert to a cable throttle body. My understanding is the cable TB has an IAC, and the DBW doesn't? How would the IAC work, then?

4) Run the TV cable off the pedal itself. Is this reliable enough to control the TV cable correctly to not damage the trans?

Then, of course, there always options 5 and 6.

5) Run a TH350 and hate life at 60mph(36s, 5.13 gears), which this Jeep will see.

6) Run a 4L60e, (which I don't have) and sort out the VSS stuff.

You have to swap to a cable TB. To run a regular 700r4. The Pedal is electric on the DBW so I don't see how you could hook it up to the TV cable.

The cable TB has a Idle air control (IAC). This bypass air inside the TB to regulate idle by the PCM. In the DBW TB the PCM controls idle with the throttle blade itself. Also, some of the later DBW PCM can't be reflasted to the cable tune.

But what transfer case you have? You could just run a 4l60. Then run a GM transfer case ie NP241c which already has the VSS in it. Or run a inline VSS or a VSS in the adapter like AA does.

GM Gen III/IV V8 swap info

TECH: Gen III/IV "LS motor" to Early GM Auto Trans
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 113797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I have seen a thread showing pictures of how someone actually did this with success. I have spent a week searching forums, searches, history, etc and I can't find it. If anyone remembers where they saw something like this please post a link or PM me.

Thanks
Mark
thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 81349
i was flipping through car craft and found "bouchillon performance" it looks like they do mopar stuff but if you look real close at their pedal assy. it looks like they just run the tv cable to a brackett on the DBW pedal. i don't know if this helps i'll keep my eyes open.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 113797
Thanks, I'm still looking!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77424
If you go the pedal route, make sure that the location that you mount it contains the correct throw for the cable (close or far from the pivot point). This article talks about length of throw and measurements and such.

http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 113797
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampfisters View Post
If you go the pedal route, make sure that the location that you mount it contains the correct throw for the cable (close or far from the pivot point). This article talks about length of throw and measurements and such.

http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
Thats why I am looking for the pic and thread of the person who already did this. He had it all figured out, looked slick also!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 63268
Have you found it yet? I'm looking for the same information!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehead View Post
Have you found it yet? I'm looking for the same information!
I decided not to bother and am going with a TH350. Should be installed next weekend, actually. I am running the kickdown cable off the DBW pedal. Its less travel sensitive, really just needs to pull out for full throttle.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 182523
ANY ONE FIGURED THIS OUT? im running dbc but the bowtie industries stuff is mega $$$. im wondering if a ram jet 350 tv cable will work?
1984-cj7-sbc350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I have a 6.0 with a 700R4, I just run the manual valvebody. I'll probably never run another automatic without one. Upshifting isn't as harsh as the internet says it is, just need to learn how to time your downshifts since it holds the clutches applied in coast as well, so it has engine braking like a manual.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44832
Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984-cj7-sbc350 View Post
ANY ONE FIGURED THIS OUT? im running dbc but the bowtie industries stuff is mega $$$. im wondering if a ram jet 350 tv cable will work?
Can you make a stock TV cable work (for the 700R4)? On my '92 Blazer, the cable clips into a bracket on the throttle linkage that holds the cable housing/adjustment thing and the cable hooks right to the linkage itself. Could you make that work? A stock TV cable was ~30 from my local CarQuest.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...72328256808754

This is the part I'm talking about that clips into the bracket near the throttle linkage

This is a pic I found showing the bracket I'm talking about.

Seems to me that if you get it hooked to your throttle body, you should be good to go? You may need to find one that is longer as I do know that the throttle body is further forward.

1994 XJ, D44/AMC20, 4.10's, Lockright/welded, hidden 3 link + panhard bar, leaf spring slider boxes. Rusty but trusty. Now sold to a fellow MTU4x4'er.
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Swag Sales

Member # 90594
I put a 700r4 behind a 5.3 in my dad's yj . Used s 6.0 flywheel. Got the tv cable and brackets as well as the lock converter wiring from bowtieoverdrive.com.... his was a drive by cable though... I know I have seen the tv cable hooked to the gas pedal in the 5.3 thread in jeep hardcore.

Andrew Dial
Jedco Sales Inc.
jedcosales.com
PM me or email andrewd@jedcosales.com

We are family owned and in our 30th year! Big enough to get great products and prices. Small enough to know who you are!
dozer_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9310
You dont need to change to DBC TB to run the TV cable.
This is what I did on my MB.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics