info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle - Page 110 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #2726 (permalink)

Member # 108736
I modified my stock shafts for full circle clips. I only got a year out of them on 42s, v8. The ears started to stretch and deform.

Last edited by cheapthrillb2; 03-19-2017 at 04:56 PM.
cheapthrillb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #2727 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax600 View Post
The material arround the u joint caps streaches or ovals , making the u joints loose in the yoke. The clips get mangled or fall out then you loose the caps . That or the stubs just break at the snap ring groove.
This silly shit happins with Branik chromo shafts as well....
I don't have any reason to doubt what you are saying, but where is that info coming from? There has got to be almost no one running 1550 shafts I would think since no one makes aftermarket yet and very few are running 450/550 axles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #2728 (permalink)

Member # 159557
Is anyone running rockwell shafts in these yet? Obviously Ouverson is getting them through the knuckle, curious how much work that takes. Seems like set of 40 spline rockwell style shafts with either stock or aftermarket joints would be stout & fill the gap between 35 spline/1480 & the ultra bling OEM/RCV/CTM direct coupling stubs.

Last edited by JETHROBODEAN; 03-20-2017 at 09:23 AM.
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #2729 (permalink)

Member # 257906
Alright, stupid question.
Does anyone know what the factory spline length is on the inside of the inner axles where they go into the side gears?
I am trying to determine how little one can cut off a long side shaft to change the splines.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #2730 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnman View Post
Alright, stupid question.
Does anyone know what the factory spline length is on the inside of the inner axles where they go into the side gears?
I am trying to determine how little one can cut off a long side shaft to change the splines.
i could be wrong but my guess is stock inner shafts taper down after the splines and seal surface so you wouldnt be able to respline it
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #2731 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
i could be wrong but my guess is stock inner shafts taper down after the splines and seal surface so you wouldnt be able to respline it
All the ones I've seen neck up like old-school Chevy shafts after the splines, not down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #2732 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
All the ones I've seen neck up like old-school Chevy shafts after the splines, not down.
This is true for mine stock shaft. (Superduty on top)

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #2733 (permalink)

Member # 108736
This is one that got cut and resplined by branik.

Last edited by cheapthrillb2; 03-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #2734 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Factory short side stock.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #2735 (permalink)

Member # 257906
Awesome, thank you!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #2736 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 48667
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
I don't have any reason to doubt what you are saying, but where is that info coming from? There has got to be almost no one running 1550 shafts I would think since no one makes aftermarket yet and very few are running 450/550 axles.
My experience is with the 1480 joint. I garontee a 1550 set up wuold do the same under my right foot.
ax600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #2737 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87452
This may have been covered already, I had to quit following the thread for a bit, but Spicer is prototyping 1550 axles for the 05+ housings. I've been sworn to secrecy but there are a few sets out there for demo. I have one...
Attached Images

"Wheel to wheel Rock Racing, open wheelin', free camping, North Idaho's best racing venue"
gearhead74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #2738 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5952
I understand economics. But that is the only reason to even try to stay with 35 spline. Even with chromo /300m. While big 40 spline / Rockwell/ big bell RCV/1550 joints axles are expensive, why else would you step up to a 05+ 60? I have a pile of proof in 300M stuff that says 35 spline won't work. Trail rig yes. Peel out rig no.

Yoder
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #2739 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYODER View Post
I understand economics. But that is the only reason to even try to stay with 35 spline. Even with chromo /300m. While big 40 spline / Rockwell/ big bell RCV/1550 joints axles are expensive, why else would you step up to a 05+ 60? I have a pile of proof in 300M stuff that says 35 spline won't work. Trail rig yes. Peel out rig no.

Yoder

Why the 05+ over previous ford 60?

Stronger housing, stronger tubes, larger stronger c, stronger knuckles, stock 35 spline vs 30. Big factory brakes, big unit beatings. And all at a fraction of the cost compared to early axles.

Only drawback I see right now is for some the width. The couple I've put together have all been narrowed 4"s. And lockout support. Be nice if Yukon would make a set of strong lockouts. But with that said I've had my oe hold up pretty good. 4ds, locker, LS and haven't had one let go yet.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #2740 (permalink)

Member # 703953
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead74 View Post
This may have been covered already, I had to quit following the thread for a bit, but Spicer is prototyping 1550 axles for the 05+ housings. I've been sworn to secrecy but there are a few sets out there for demo. I have one...
Only makes sense. Since they fit and all.

Hopefully they will be very affordable. Should be a good balance of strength also, even running "stock" u joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post

The Dana /Spicer Ultimate 60 program uses a 4340 35 spline 1550 shaft. I am sure the length is wrong, but at least the forgings are out there somewhere.
So I wonder what the deal is with this? Does/Is Dana keeping it proprietary for now? or is it just that no one has picked up on it yet?

One would think with the rising popularity of the OEM axle, increasing ability of the common garage fab'r (axle narrowing and such), and fledgling aftermarket support (think Reid Super KP) that a business opportunity exists is the sub-$4000 Super Duty shaft market...

I'm sure its' just a matter of time.

Last edited by eat.sleep.wheel; 03-21-2017 at 01:54 PM.
eat.sleep.wheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #2741 (permalink)

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat.sleep.wheel View Post
Only makes sense. Since they fit and all.

Hopefully they will be very affordable. Should be a good balance of strength also, even running "stock" u joints.

So I wonder what the deal is with this? Does/Is Dana keeping it proprietary for now? or is it just that no one has picked up on it yet?

One would think with the rising popularity of the OEM axle, increasing ability of the common garage fab'r (axle narrowing and such), and fledgling aftermarket support (think Reid Super KP) that a business opportunity exists is the sub-$4000 Super Duty shaft market...

I'm sure its' just a matter of time.
There are already companies making aftermarket shafts in the sub-$4k range. Branik, RCV, and Ouverson are the 3 I can confirm are already doing this for sure.

Another question. Why is everyone so hell bent on a 1 piece shaft for the inner and/or outer? I believe Spidertrax shafts are 2 piece designs, and I think Branik is also doing this now. I have seen some CTM's that are 2 piece as well. Also, the old school Sunray shafts were 2 piece if I am remembering correctly. They may not necessarily be cheaper, but seem to be what is commonly used when 1 piece blanks are not available. Sometimes by choice, and sometimes due to cost of forging molds, batch costs, etc.
DZ Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #2742 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ Fab View Post
There are already companies making aftermarket shafts in the sub-$4k range. Branik, RCV, and Ouverson are the 3 I can confirm are already doing this for sure.

Another question. Why is everyone so hell bent on a 1 piece shaft for the inner and/or outer? I believe Spidertrax shafts are 2 piece designs, and I think Branik is also doing this now. I have seen some CTM's that are 2 piece as well. Also, the old school Sunray shafts were 2 piece if I am remembering correctly. They may not necessarily be cheaper, but seem to be what is commonly used when 1 piece blanks are not available. Sometimes by choice, and sometimes due to cost of forging molds, batch costs, etc.
A quick search on RCV 60 shows over 2 grand for one side. Or did you mean sub 4K for one shaft?

Hate to ask a stupid question, What do you mean by 2 piece? One piece from the diff to the joint and one to the hub? Isn't that what they all are? Are you saying they make two pieces from the diff to the joint. I'm not fermilier with that.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #2743 (permalink)

Member # 703953
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
A quick search on RCV 60 shows over 2 grand for one side. Or did you mean sub 4K for one shaft?

Hate to ask a stupid question, What do you mean by 2 piece? One piece from the diff to the joint and one to the hub? Isn't that what they all are? Are you saying they make two pieces from the diff to the joint. I'm not fermilier with that.

By 2 piece, he means a double spline shaft with a female splined yoke. It's how Spidertrax shafts have always been made.

I guess I really meant sub $3k range + larger than 1480... rather than sub $4k

I realize that there are several options to put 35 and 40 spline 1480 size stuff in these axles, but if Chromo 1550 shafts existed and were a drop in deal for about the same money, seems like a no-brainer.
eat.sleep.wheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 AM   #2744 (permalink)

Member # 400633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead74 View Post
I want.
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #2745 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat.sleep.wheel View Post
By 2 piece, he means a double spline shaft with a female splined yoke. It's how Spidertrax shafts have always been made.
Cool. I would think you could get any length shaft you want then. So do they make shafts with 35 spline on one end and 40 on the other? I'm thinking if someone has a locker with 35 spline breaks a u-joint, they could get new 1550 yoke in 40 spline and still work with their diff. Later, they could upgrade the locker and get a double 40 spline shaft. Of course at the prices mentioned, it might be cheaper to just buy a new locker right off.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #2746 (permalink)

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post

RCV's in 35 spline 4340 are less than $3k for the entire set. 2 inners & 2 outers. The outers include the CV and do not require locking hubs since they spline directly into the unit bearing.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 03-22-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #2747 (permalink)

Member # 159557
I was under the impression that only the bigger rockwell joint-ed set was the direct spline?
JETHROBODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #2748 (permalink)

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETHROBODEAN View Post
I was under the impression that only the bigger rockwell joint-ed set was the direct spline?
Possibly. Their sales guy told me the standard sized also was direct spline into the unit bearing, but I could have been misinformed.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #2749 (permalink)

Member # 108736
If your refering to the std Rcv set for the 05+ they do not spline into the bearing. And still require the oe lockout or similar.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #2750 (permalink)

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
If your refering to the std Rcv set for the 05+ they do not spline into the bearing. And still require the oe lockout or similar.
Thanks for the info. Good to know. That add's another $250 to the price then for drive slugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.