Pirate 4x4 banner

info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle

1M views 4K replies 399 participants last post by  RANGERROD 
#1 ·
I may get flamed on this, only if I search wrong way somehow?

I am gonna to build hybrid axle so I a bought 06' Super duty Dana 60 SRW hub assembly (inner c, knuckles, bearings, etc etc, no tube or pumpkin)

This came out to be challenging for me as there's lack of info on these axles :(

One thing I found out right away that the tube of the 06' D60 came out to be 3.75" in diameter with .5" thick wall, which are a bit larger than the older D60's (3.125" diameter)

I as well not sure what aftermarket knuckles I can get for them so I dont need to have some machine shop to do some hell work on to figure out a strong high steer arms to be made for these knuckles.

I am not sure but I believe the D60 outer stub shafts that I have are 35 splines instead of the 30 splines which the older Super Duty have (claimed by the D60 bible)

I really need to find out what options I have for the knuckles and what year the knuckles will interchange with the newer D60 (as mine's a 06') inner C's ball joints. I will need to redrill the hub bearings and rotors for the standard 8x6.5 bolt pattern. I found out that spidertrax do sell them, but they are going close to $400 a pop and said are from F.450 so I dont know if that will work on what I have (right now I prefer use what I have by redrill them as I dont want to spend $800 on just some bling unit bearings!):barf:

This may be dumb, but is it possible for me to redrill the hubs/rotors myself? the hard part would be drill RIGHT place! :laughing:

keep in mind this is not all about me, could be some helpful info for other wheelers/SD owners, carry on! :flipoff2:

See less See more
#1,196 ·
I treaded the adapter for a 1/2" bolt so I could put even pressure on the tube during welding and hold it in place...worked great! I also designed them to be welded from both sides (my application is a little abusive and I wanted it as strong as possible) Landed up stick welding them just to get better penetration and a better weld with the 1025 steel.

Ryan

This post has been deleted
#1,203 ·
Does anyone have any interest in a spindle and taper bearing set up for 05+ axles? we have some brand new parts from Dana that will bolt up to the 05-11 c's and allow the use of a spindle and standard hubs. I have nothing against unit bearings as we build 99% of our axles around them. I think that there might be some interest in the ability to run a bolt pattern other than 8x6.5 and a standard length stub shaft. Ill post up some pics tomorrow for you guys to check out

#1,215 ·
I have received two pm's regarding ub cups for rear axles and both prices were in line with what I consider do - able to run matching and much larger ub's than what the bulk of the market currently supports. Literally minutes after my previous post I bought a dirt bike, hoping to slow my jeep build a few more years. I just wanted to let you guys know that people are listening and offering parts at reasonable pricing.

#1,218 ·
I have a rather quick question that I have not been able to definitively answer. I am in the planning stages of building a centered rear steer 14 bolt with 05+ Superduty outers. :D

What I am wondering is can the long side from the 60 be resplined for the 30 spline 14 bolt? Based on the major diameter dimensions that I have found would lead me to believe that they cannot be resplined. But I have also come across people saying that they have. Do these shafts taper down at the spline? I have not been able to find diameters on the axle shafts other than then major diameter of the splines.

#1,230 ·
Well yeah :homer:

So far the stock 30 spline shafts in the front axle have help up and I'm not too hard on my stuff. Also, I'm looking to go rear steer with the eventual change in wheel base of my truck this winter. Going from a single cab ranger at 112" wb to a 4 door sport trac which will probably end up at 130"+. I know it isn't ideal but it will get me back out and then I can upgrade down the line when/if I break them.

#1,233 ·
Cheap bastard-ness mostly.... :flipoff2:

I wouldn't hesitate to weld on a steering kit to the knuckle... But I'd also just build the weld on parts myself...

I don't "know" that machining material off of, drilling holes in, and tapping a casting to bolt a steering arm in a location on a casting that it wasn't ever engineered for is any better or worse than a properly welded on steering relocation...

Looks like you make a nice product, offer a simple weld on kit as an alternative if you want to cover both aspects of the market.

Jesses kit is pretty cool, but the requirement to use a 10" ram connected to the tie rod/tie rod holes if double ended or a 8" PSC (or other smooth body, heim jointed cylinder) kinda puts it off for me.

I would prefer to get full steering angle with an 8" throw myself (because of fluid volume )

#1,240 ·
ok so i have no experience with d60 stuff and i have gone through this thread a few times and probably missed/forgotten some stuff. basically im thinking about running a nissan patrol centre (cause its cheap and i have it) with d60 outers. now being in aus access to d60 stuff is rare and pricey, but i have found an 05 super duty axle at a good price. just concerned with aftermarket availability.

So who does a 6 lug hub for these things and what brake rotor would suit?
would the blank axles from poly performance work to machine my own splines or not? and from what i have read i should be able to have the standard axles cut and splined to the nissan 33 or a 35 and change my locker to suit 35 spline

#1,243 · (Edited)
cause i already have the rear set up and the patrol air lockers and gears and, and im running a high pinion rear so if i change the front locker to 33 spline then my diff centres are interchangeable which makes spares heaps easier and cheaper. dont really want to run 6 stud rear wheels and 8 stud front, is that common at all??? dana 60 stuff isnt common at all over here. that and the diff is on the wrong side.

so the inner axles are more or less interchangeable depending on u joint, length and splines is that correct?

#1,246 ·
Aus Hilux, as stated by Wilson, I think that your real problem right now is six lugging the unit bearing in the 05+. Get that issue taken care of and you are money.

Im building a 9.5 load bolted 35 spline cruiser diff axle right now. I had to use the 99-03 outers due to the unit bearing issue.

#1,247 ·
Good luck to anyone with thoughts of any smaller of a bolt circle than 6.5". The backside of the unit bearing is massive. There is no chance of making anything else fit without a different bearing housing (smaller bearing) at that point, it just doesnt make sense.

Stubs are you doing the load bolts yourself? I only ask because I welded up a load bolt in a pair of 9.5" housings for a friend of mine here locally in Eugene.

#1,248 ·
So currie and yukon make the 5.38 gears with the 35 spline pinion but I talked to yukon and the tech guy tells me that that gear will only work in a currie center section. Yet they list it when you search under a dana 60 rev. rotation.

Anybody know facts on this? Does they yukon guy know what he's talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.