Pirate 4x4 banner

tracked vehicle build up

1M views 1K replies 181 participants last post by  87manche 
#1 ·
well i started about a year ago getting information about building tracks for a truck and always like the mattracks design but the price was umph... out of my well... you know... so i decided on building a set of my own so after looking everwhere on the net and other formus this was what i came up with......

Attachments

See less See more
#72 ·
Is the piece on the bottom of the 1/4 bracket the slider? Is that the 1"x1/8? piece just welded and bent to match the contour?

Tire Auto part Bumper Wire Automotive tire

For clarification you go the rollers/wheels, tracks and idlers from a skidoo shop (same ones used on their snomobiles?) Anything else you used from a snomobile?

Thanks.

#75 ·
Is the piece on the bottom of the 1/4 bracket the slider? Is that the 1"x1/8? piece just welded and bent to match the contour?

View attachment 496319

For clarification you go the rollers/wheels, tracks and idlers from a skidoo shop (same ones used on their snomobiles?) Anything else you used from a snomobile?

Thanks.
the steel is welded there to for the slider to slide on, the sliders are a skidoo slider and the idler wheels are arcticat with the 6004 bearing

#73 ·
i was just curious . how much stress do those tracks put on the axles and the steering ? and do you guys ever think about carring extra tracks ? i know its not the same but i know a guy that had a ww2 halff track and he was up in the mountains and he lost a track and there was no towig that truck . he had to go get a new track and fix it in place .

#74 ·
I looked at using a spindle with a spoke rim type of setup and couldnt find a solution. Went through the catalog with the local trailer fab place and we could not find a spindle and hub setup that did not have the ears for a lug pattern and the offset that would work out right with this style.

I think it would work better if you welded tube to the rim to space the spindle assembly back and welded the trailer spindle to that.

I ordered my bearings yesterday for the tapered bearing setup that I want to use. I'll have to set up preload but I think it will handle side loads better. Plus the bearings were only $10 each.

Didnt think about the snow building up in the rims like that. The American Track Trucks doesnt have holes so I wonder how that works out.

#78 ·
Awesome project. It can be tough when you're engineering from scratch, like you are. Keep up the good work. I work a lot with tracked snow vehicles and use an old Thiokol snow groomer to keep the road open to my cabin. The track maintenance is by far the biggest concern of running one.

#79 ·
i just put on anouther 40 miles and the only time it plugs up in the rims is when you are going slow i was traveling just as fast in the ditch as the snow plow was on the road. the rims dont plug at all when going above 15 mph, i got a great idea from my fauther in law it was to put a crazy carpet under the drive lugs which i just picked up in town so i am gong to try that, picts to follow if it works. very happy so far with everything else

#80 ·
one of the biggest differences I'm seeing with the all-terrain types, vs the snow types, is the sliders/wheels part.
The all terrain types that run in mud and sand use the wheels to space the track off the frams, so that the track isn't sliding on the frame at all, but rather rolling along on the wheels.
I like your build alot, but when I build mine, I think I'm going to try something more along the lines of that. lots more wheels and make sure the track is spaced off the frame a bit.
We have some bitchin sand dunes here.. the St. Anthony sand dunes, and I would LOVE to run them in the summer with tracks!

#81 ·
Awesome project. Considering something simlar for an ATV right now.

#82 ·
You might add some "teeth" to your wheels like the other sets have since you have the slots in the belt for them.

Maybe see if you can find a set of wheels from some Mattracks that are open. I don't know how comfortable I would be cutting on the wheels so much.

#83 · (Edited)
everything from mattracks is $$$$$$

that yellow set posted above ? at least 30 grand new.

my_nanc - you have done more than most ever dream of already. you put on more miles than I have in 10 years. You ARE the expert, :D don't let us slow you down.

As for adding teeth - it an option but do it later. If you did run the drive windows of the track it does take less tension. but driving the involutes like you have done is much easier to set up, and DUDE! you are rolling!:tank:

edit: 8 years - lol - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=97409&highlight=snow+track

#84 ·
ok put the crazy carpets under the sprokets and what a diff works awsome no build up i will post picts later tomorrow put on anouther 50 km tonight working fine so far, later in the summer i think that i will be removing the drives and have plastic moulded under the drives will fix it 100% im sure, after seeing the difference from the crazy carpets ha ha ha for now they are a cheep fix.....also tomorrow i will try to tow something around to see how much it will tow, my plans are to use it as a groomer, if it dont work for that i will just use it for touring around..

#91 ·
....also tomorrow i will try to tow something around to see how much it will tow, my plans are to use it as a groomer, if it dont work for that i will just use it for touring around..
I think it will have no trouble as a groomer -

that has been the most common "need" I have found home-builts used for over the years - the fact that you'd be running on basically flat ground, no extreme terrain, means it should work really well in that mode.

#92 ·
wekk thanks for all the help so far it has been great, tonight i pulled my 5000lb skid steer to the neighbours down the road only on a two car hoods plowing snow, the hoods had no rize at the front so they were digging in so yah i see no problems with towing, and also i found out that when you are driving through soft snow and all is going well dont stop and see how deep it is, dammm we stoped and went to start up and spun then down it went for 2 hrs of digging urrrrrr, and no shovels, we had to steel the snowmobile stop signs off the trail to dig it out, snow was fairly deep and extramly soft, after driving out when it got back on top we were un able to walk on the tracks without sinking in. next time the winch and shovel will be in the truck for sure

Attachments

#325 ·
when you are driving through soft snow and all is going well dont stop and see how deep it is, dammm we stoped and went to start up and spun then down it went for 2 hrs of digging urrrrrr, and no shovels, we had to steel the snowmobile stop signs off the trail to dig it out, snow was fairly deep and extramly soft, after driving out when it got back on top we were un able to walk on the tracks without sinking in. next time the winch and shovel will be in the truck for sure
LOL First thing to put in before anything else is a Shovel, and even better
have 2, so the passenger can do is share also lol
Been there done that :)

#97 ·
been driving it around and works fine but in the powder snow when you go over a drift it looses traction in oppisits sides and spins out the track, one front one rear (it has no limited slip) so i am thinking about welding the rear for more traction and an even push in the snow, i am aware that turning might be not as sharp but i am thinking, being it is on snow it will just spin as i corner? anyone done this for there tracks on there trucks???? i am not concerned about wrecking anything as i have done it befor on my mud trucks but just concerned how much my turning radus will be affected. and dont want to spend money on diff for a locker or spool due to the fact that the diffs will be cut out in spring.. tracks will be on something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.