Pirate 4x4 banner

tracked vehicle build up

1M views 1K replies 181 participants last post by  87manche 
#1 ·
well i started about a year ago getting information about building tracks for a truck and always like the mattracks design but the price was umph... out of my well... you know... so i decided on building a set of my own so after looking everwhere on the net and other formus this was what i came up with......

Attachments

See less See more
#169 ·
makes me think of this one:

Except it looks like a semi-permanent conversion since it's not pivoting off of a bearing on the wheel. Crrraazy :D

I can see how the tracks would get broken when on hard ground, while soft snow would be fine. Something more like a cross between his design and the tracks on that rover would work well too I think. The rims seem like a good solution, really - perhaps some sliders too and you have a good year-round track assembly.

The Rover track in the pic failed somewhere in Russia, btw - but they didn't take pics of the carnage or explain what went wrong. It's not first expedition I've read about where I thought to myself, "where is the Ready-Welder?" :D

#171 ·
being the end of the year and almost the last time to ride this thing i took it out and put it through the ultimate test, tryed to break it, and did ha ha. But it wasnt from driving it more picts to follow of what happened and what broke tomorrow, i don't have my plug for loading picts.

#177 ·
here are some picts of when i drove into the culvert i also have links for the video to follow the axel is what broke but it took a lot to do it basically twisted the truck sideways when pulling it out of the culvert, i didn't see that it was in there, oh well....
]
Let's see the carnage! I can see where you got stopped but it doesn't show what happened. You for sure were working it hard.

Broke the axle, so hence the 60's on the tractor tire page?

#175 ·
Total goober question I've only seen snow a hand full of time in my life:flipoff2: I'm thinking about all terrain track. how about surplus tank or bobcat tracks, (I know they wiegh a ton) what about some kind of similar linked belt so you could make your own size and repair on the trail if you had to? what else has a linked track that could be adapted?

#176 ·
You could do like the Rover here:

But they took a lot of fabrication - I know they failed on their trip in the Russian Arctic - no pics of the failure so I don't know what happened.

Nodwell uses similar tracks:

However, I know from talking to friends who used them on Alaska Oilfields the DO take a lot of maintenance - and snowmachine tracks do not. They can wear out but they are amazingly tough. You can get them in various lengths up to 160 inches or more and there are companies that can repair and custom build them.

These tracks are "linked" - made from multiple plastic sections, but I have only just begun looking into getting some new ones made - so far I am not having luck however.

#178 ·
no it wasnt the axel on the truck, it was my machiened axel, i have picts now you will see the damage, they are all sitting in the shop for next winter i will be putting them on anouther truck lighter one like a dakota or a 6 cylinder gmc sonama or ranger, not too sure what ever i find cheep over the summer,

the swap over to the one ton diffs was what i was doing anyway reguardless of the tracks, they will not be going back on the durango, that was just my test truck all along.

after looking closley at the axel it broke right at the point where i machiened down for the inner snapring, on the other ones they dont have this groove cut into them as i changed the design and welded pipe onto the end to stop the exel from sliding out of bearing, one thing that i might change on the other designs i do is put the two bearings on the inner (closer to the bolt pattern) than how i had them on the outter support, or run 4 bearings? will see later in the fall as i plan to build sets with the 136 or larger set up.

#182 ·
My first Post. Great Thread! Inspired me to buy a Samurai and Mattracks. I picked up a 1988 Sammy SPOA,16V, Detroit Lockers, 6.5 Transfer case in Anchorage for $4K. Purchased a set of M3 Mattracks 3500#GVW with only 20 hours on them off of CraigsList in Santa Cruz(they are on the way!) for $4K. Mattracks quoted me $8500 + ship. I look forward to sharing some pics soon.

#185 ·
why do you thinkthey are too small? they are 3500 GVW rated. Looks like I will be putting down about 1.1 lb/sq. in. The steering is going to be hydraulic. I just picked up a cylinder and steering valve off ebay for $182

http://www.mattracks.com/LF_M3_UR_2010w.pdf[/URL]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120558533925&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/URL]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120558962542&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/URL]

I live in Valdez, but I will try and get up to the meet and greet and do a run or two. Maybe Eureka?

#188 ·
would there be any point to building a slightly cambered(curved) lower track frame instead of flat like most of them seem to be? seems like that could help the tracks to climb square edge obstacles and maybe float a little more. however it would probably be less stable on anything but deep powder due to wanting to wobble like a rocking chair. just thinking out loud, I'm totally ignorant of tracks.

#189 ·
They came up with that exact idea in the 70's with the UnaTrack - mine are the early version, with 4 feet of flat track on the ground. It does tend to have the better theoretical floatation - but they lifted the front and rear idlers 4" and it climbed up better and was a lot easier to turn.

Anyway, lots of tracks are rounded on the ATV's - they really need the light steering.

this kind is flat in back, rounded up front

The 3500 GVW Mattracks

#194 ·
Deepmud
I have to hand it to you on your enginuity and skills with much respect to putting tracks on your rig. Did you ever say to yourself "self somebody already spent a huge amount of dough engineering and testing these things" and just copy them? I have read your patent posts etc. Patents only apply to products for sale

#198 ·
Aw, I suck :D I bought the yellow tracks from a guy in Maine - and the Unatracks are pre-Mattracks design, so I didn't make them either. My_nanc actutally DID build his own, and that's :smokin: - I've just dreamed about them since I was 7 and saw the Unatracks being tested in Alaska.

Yeah, the patents only apply to someone selling stuff, and you can copy anything for yourself.

My yellow tracks are for sale and have more surface area if your mattracks turn out too small - but I bet they work. Valdez is sure the place to try 'em. I've stepped over 8 foot fence with barbed wire on top there :D

#196 ·
from my experience so far on the attack angel it is a huge issue as you can see on some of my videos, as the vehicle sinks into the snow you have more ground pressure on the front angle causing the tracks to rise in the front hard to explain, when i built mine i made the weight of the vehicle centered on the weight on the ground and the attack angle was there to rise the front of the track to (hence) make the tracks climb when in the soft snow and they do just that. works awsome so far, with out the attack angle they did into the snow to the bottom, i have tried to back through something i floated over and sink to the bottom and plow through, need the rise in the front, as for steering mine had a lot of level track on the ground and had no problems steering on the ground.

#200 ·
Apologies my_nance. You have done some very nice work and a lot of it. I just dont have the time for experimentation. My thinking is leave the engineering to engineers. Time is money and all of that.
Anyway, I want to share my latest brainstorm; which is 4 wheel steering. I have been thinking about putting another front axle under the rear of the Samurai and having 3 mode selectable steering; front steering, round and crab. All modes from the steering wheel. I have solved the problem and located a steering distribution valve, manually operated, that will fit between the seats. All the way from Switzerland and only $2700. I nearly choked, then I decided, Fuckit I gotta have it. So there you have it; I am gonna build an all wheel steer Sammy on Tracks. I will chek in from time to time and give updates. Thanks again Deep and My for the inspiration.

#203 · (Edited)
Except Tucker only has "round" - plus he said in a pm he will still have wheels too.

The Zuk axles gotta' go - but Toys with Longs would be enough beef, since tracks gear down the final drive so much. There are 4 wheel steer rigs with Toys on big tires holding up. The steering stress is high tho' - I working out a "double-arm-8-bolt" knuckle :D No high steer to protect the link but I'll put some armor out there and mount the ram on it.

The lower arm is just a standard Toy arm mounted on the bottom of the knuckle. Since I have trouble steering my UnaTracks I figured I'd get this done as I get hydro-assist on it.

EDIT: Just to keep things clear - I am not planning 4 wheel steer - just pointing out that - Traczuk is going to need some axle upgrades at some point - altho', now that I think about it - his tracks are MUCH smaller, made for UTV rigs - might be easy on the Zuk axles after-all. Their steering arms are pretty spindly tho'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.