Pirate 4x4 banner

NEW AXLE!! Sixty9

338K views 1K replies 293 participants last post by  Ghostrunner 
#1 ·
Well now that I finally have the first 5 proto types ready to go!!! Not many have heard of me but you will all soon know me I hope:D. I will be at KOH with the Sixty9 on display and would love to meet everyone! Now for some specs. Drop Out Dana 60
Takes all Dana 60 parts "gears, bearings, setup kit, lockers"
High or Low pinion in the same housing
Symmetrical pattern can be used as a "high pinion, low pinion or flipped high or low"
8620 STEEL housing "not IRON or Aluminum" Very very strong. 2 to 3 times stronger then all other iron housings made.
Roughly 3/4" to 1" more clearance then any Dana 60 housings out now.
The bearing caps will be keyed so there will be no mix up and also making the side adjusters "miss fit" a thing of the past. This will also help eliminate bearing deflection on the carrier bearings.
These were designed, built, poured, machined 100% in the good ol' USA by Good ol' Americans!
Dan at Ruffstuff Specialties will be making all the housings for this new axle. I know I am missing some stuff and will post completed pictures and will start a general testing thread soon. See you all at KOH!!! Thank You Jason Ratcliff JRAT OFFROAD

Attachments

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
totally different bolt pattern than a 9" housing...maybe they're making in-house housings as well? I think the name is simply because it's completely D60 materials with a 9"-style 3rd?

this was bound to happen eventually with the release of Portal Tek's drop-out 14FF axle. :smokin: I'm really digging the high-low pinion interchangability.

#113 ·
I swear, I was driving down the road the other day, and I was thinking about this EXACT thing. :eek:
I thought about it a month ago---but I wasn't the genius who had the guts to make it happen, either!!!

|
V
Do that, or a dropout HPd60 3rd member that fits in a 9" housing and the world will march to your door!

Congratulations JRAT--I hope this venture works out really, really well for you!!! :bounce:

#9 ·
Holy crap 2 posts and I cant even get the 2nd set of photos up :D. The guys at Aberle Indurstrial MFG./ Arberle Offroad are the pattern and tooling guys and are the BEST is the business! The last pic is of the ALuminum center I had made so Dan at Ruffstuff could have something for a jig.

Attachments

#17 ·
Damn that's awesome... also want to know pricing... I'm guessing for many this would be a good way to get a high pinion front(or rear) end without spending $2k on the center section alone... especially if you already have a 60. I have a low pinion 60 front now so I could transfer my locker over which would be sweet if I wanted to change to high pinion.

Price eh?

#21 ·
I havent contacted any other vendors for housing but I have known Dan for some time and really like his housing. I also am not opposed to others making a housing and will work with anyone that would like to. There will be no shimming the carrier but there will be shims for the pinion. Thanks Jason Ratcliff

#90 · (Edited)
It was brought up about doing a HP in the rear using the drive side? Will this be possible?
No, because apparently no gear cutter has been built to cut gears that way is what I've been told.

I'm not sure why not yet though!?!? For applications like all these custom HP housings, demand is obviously becoming higher and higher.

#33 ·
Yes these will be 8620 Steel center section NOT "Aluminum or Iron" The only thing that was made out of Aluminum was the jig I had built for Dan at Ruffstuff. About the size of the pinion support those are raw steel they will get machined taking a lot of the mass off them. Thanks Jason Ratcliff

#37 ·
The load bolts were a thought. Its not a big thing to add them if needed. I'm not sure if we'll need them though. As far as the Large 60 gears I'm not sure until I try them. You're talking about the 10" Ring Gear and larger spline pinion shaft ones right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.