tsl vs. tsl sx vs. boggers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89302
Send a message via Yahoo to andrew198501
tsl vs. tsl sx vs. boggers

I have a 81 k5 looking to replace tires soon and can't decide on what tire i need so i thought i would get everyone's opinion. What is the difference between the tsl and the tsl/sx? I also am considering the bogger since i do live in western OK. Where it is clay and sand very little rock unless it is in the road LOL. So what do you think. Number one tire i am looking to buy is the 38x12.50x15 tsl/sx.
andrew198501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 148124
I am pretty sure the SX is a Bias-Ply which would make its sidewalls and carcas over all tougher and more resistant to puncture. I think Bias Ply's are also stickier in the rocks, but they get flat spots from sitting too long and don't last long on the road. The SX's have a little tighter three stage lug (where tsl comes from) and I think more edges to bite with on the sidewall than a normal TSL radial. I say if your going to use it on the road a lot get a TSL radial or maybe look into a Pit Bull Rocker in the same size. If your stuck on Bias Ply then nothing really beats a TSL SX or LTB in the rocks, especially muddy rocks.
Rhino_ZJ_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 27003
Send a message via Yahoo to acprokeith
IMO the radial swampers suck in every way except maybe the ride quality on the road. They wear faster than a bias ply and dont work as well on the trail. I have never heard anything good about them.

SX's wear just as good as a TSL. I ran SX's on the street for years (20,000- 30,000 miles before they were cooked). An SX is just a TSL with side tread, and its usually a wider tire. They get flat spots from sitting, but they go away as soon as the tire gets warm. IMHO there is no tougher tire (excluding the sponsored desert tires).

I wouldnt even consider Boggers unless your in the sand and mud most of the time.

EDIT: Like oldskool said: cut or sipe them and they really shine. I had forgot to mention I cut all mine. The center lug was cut into 3 equal pieces. Night and day difference.

Last edited by acprokeith; 02-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.
acprokeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49211
sx

I have been running a 38.5 sx for about a year now, and I'm very impressed. Mine are beadlocked and I run usually 2-4 pounds in them. Once broke in, they work very well. not a very fun ride on the street, but if you'll take the time to sipe them, they work even better offroad. A lot of guys here run boggers rear, tsls up front with pretty good luck, but they don't go anywhere I don't with my sx's. TSL's shine pretty well in all terrains, and I find the boggers don't unless you just really want to do a lot of mud and loose stuff. That is all.
oldskoolss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 88573
Send a message via AIM to SAY789 Send a message via MSN to SAY789
I run boggers everywhere way better than any tsl i had and ran the tsls will go egg shaped and the boggers with the correct wheel width will hold up for a long time. I mainly run highways in my truck on 39.5 boggs very lil vibration and wear after a year.

Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
I think I heard that the model with the rear blocks and neg arched fronts was the super rare model called a Medium Boy.
SAY789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 110135
I've had Boggers slide sideways on muddy trails where there was a sidehill. However, that's not to say that a TSL wouldn't do the same thing. But, the Bogger tread appears to look like it would be prone to doing that.
Power Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 89302
My blazer spends about 20% of time on the road rest is in a muddy canyon pulling out my buddies....Not really soft or loose anywhere unless i happen to go to the dunes but mostly river beds and slippery clay....So SX's sound like the way to go.

My brother had a set of 31x13.50?x15 sx's on an s-10 a few years ago and they were bald in the center and he couldn't stick it !!! But i was not sure how different traits would be under a 6000 lb rig.

Last edited by andrew198501; 02-20-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
I wouldn't consider a radial TSL at all.
I liked my TSL SX better on and off road than the damn radials.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15296
Had the TSL radials - do NOT recommend them!

Iroks since then, and may be going for 38.5"s in SX front and Bogger rear for a mini-trail buggy...
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 89302
Well looks like sx's for the blazer thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 119687
all of your choices you mentioned are bias ply.......the tsl and sx are the same tread pattern, except the sx has a very heavy duty sidewall. If you are spending 80% of the time on the road opt away from the bogger or get a good set of ear protection, becase they are fifty times louder on the road......no joke. A tsl will be fibe for you, but if you want the added sideall protection of the sx and don't mind having the extra weight, then opt for the sx.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Overbear is a coward

Member # 20631
Is this thread from 2000?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 166248
SX's wear just as good as a TSL. I ran SX's on the street for years (20,000- 30,000 miles before they were cooked). An SX is just a TSL with side tread, and its usually a wider tire. They get flat spots from sitting, but they go away as soon as the tire gets warm. IMHO there is no tougher tire (excluding the sponsored desert tires).

how were the sx's on road?
i want the tires for hunting and stuff but i have a 2 mile a day on pavement to and fro school. do you reccomend these tires for me?
josejalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Member # 21948
Thornbirds FTMFW!!!

Dane

SEE WHAT THE HYPE IS ALL ABOUT:
http://www.facebook.com/hooliganrockcrew

I WILL TRY BEING NICER IF YOU TRY BEING SMARTER.

FU JS FU KS FU RTF FU FOTR FU DA FU RMK
dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 182191
I came across this thread through google looking for mileage numbers but I figured i'd clarify some of the information here so otherpeople searching get correct and accurate info. I apologize ahead of time for misspelling and gramatical errors I'm posting from my phone. Also, while I'm not well known on pirate I am a very avid poster on many other forums and I'm certainly not new or naive to offroad information. These are the TSL line tires broken down for accuracy.

TSL Bias- TSL stands for "three stage lug" - set up and designed for superiority in mud and rocks, unmatched by non swamper tires. The original swamper. Low mileage on pavement, soft tread, kind of the building block for other swamper designs. Great proven cleanout in mud, stick to rocks, great all around trail tire.

Swamper SX - Sx is supposedly an acronym for "Sidewall eXtreme. Unconfirmed but reasonable educated assumption. created strictly with sidewall and tread strength in mind. This is the rock tire of choice for the regular swamper tsl tires (irok design excluded). Extra sidewall plies, great for mud with unknown roots, stumps, and misc rocks and crap in mud. Sidewall "biters" for grip on rocks in off camber climbing. A lot of oddball sizes that other swamper lines don't come in. Also slightly less tread depth in similar sizes. The tsl sx2 (the new tsl sx) comes with siping and larger tread blocks making it the leading rock tire of the swamper line. Also due to the large tread blocks similar to the original tsl it cleans out extremely well in mud. The sidewall biters and tread making it good for rocks also makes it good for mud.

SwamperLTB - similar tread depth to original tsl, LTB stands for "large tread block" which makes it superb for traction in mud which is unparalleled by any other tire exception only to the bogger. The large offset of tread blocks makes it great for offf camber mud ruts and climbing out of holes that other tires may have problems with. The LTB also comes in unique sizes, and is the cheapest of the swamper line. Has very poor tread wear, only surpassing the bogger and iroks by total possible miles on pavement. The large tread blocks and siping on the newer ltb make it a great rock tire as well but not particularly the best.

Swamper bogger - still incorporates the TSL design and has long tread blocks making forward motion in mud and sand the best of any DOT approved tire that is mass produced for light truck appplications. Has the softest tread and poorest mileage of any swamper besides the Irok but also makes this a viable option for rock climbing rigs. Due to this it makes a great option for trucks that see all different types of terrain offroad. Tough sidewalls and sidewall biters help dig out of ruts and hook up on rocks. The sidebiters are not great as the ltb but the angular design of the tread blocks makes it hook well in any soft terrain. Poor lateral (sideways) stability but the best in deep snpw, sand, mud, and rocks for forward motion. The bogger is also a SEMI-DIRECTIONAL tire, with slightly angled tread blocks, though it still works basically just as well in reverse and reverse mounted situations.

Swamper IROK - Softest, albeit lowest tread of any swamper. The best rock tire available. It is not as similar to the original tsl as far as tread block design, but it does give it an edge that is unfamiliar. It is a directional tread tire, but the three stage lug design taken from original TSL's still allow it to work well in reverse. The is some speculation as to the success of running them backwards on rocks due to the corners of the tread blocks being little hooks. The directional design helps it to cleanout well in mud even with the low tread depth being a set back. The sidewall biters are also directional and crescent shaped. When aired down or against rocks the semi-circular shapes help propel the vehicle forward. The IROK is absolutely the worst mileage tire on pavement, and there isn't even speculation on any tire being worse. Although it does have the poorest mileage, it does ride the best on the road due to the extremely soft tread. The irok blurs the line between mud terrain, all terrain, and specialty tire due to the extremely well performance in all categories of off road terrains. Does come in radial design giving it more mileage on road but due to tread blocks being on top of the carcass instead of off the side it does lose some off road prowess.

TSL Radial (NOT SSR) - Meant to give extra mileage and drivability on road and also due to lower sidewall plies it does flex better when aired down compared to bias ply swampers. The TSL radial uses the original TSL tread design in sizes up to 36. In the sizes 36 and 38 inches tall it is still a three stage lug design but instead of putting the medium sized lug in the middle, it uses 2 medium sized lugs following the large ones, and the smallest tread block in the center. It does allow a larger lug void area which helps since being radial means the tread blocks don't hang off the side like it's bias ply brothers. The TSL radial works well in mud, sand, deep snow, and though it does perform well on rocks it has a weak(er) sidewall than other swampers. TSL radials are great tires for non trailered trucks that have to drive to trails or still get driven on weekends. Average of 35,000 miles till bald compared to the 15,000 total miles until bald on bias swampers.

TSL SSR Radial - closest three stage lug based tires to a street tire. It exceeds other TSL based tired in street manners in regards to mileage, comfort, and wet weather safety. The trxus mt some may argue is the better, but it does not use the TSL design, though it looks similar. The SSR like other swampers, excels in mud, sand, rock, and dirt, but like its close radial sibling (tsl radial) it has poor sidewall strength. The SSR is the best, albeit still poor, for a towing and street tire (with exceptions to the 15" rim sizes and the swamper trxus tires which I will not cover here) the SSR is an aggressive street tire with mileage similar to other radial mudders.

I hope this helped, I know it's long, but maybe now people will be able to choose better which tire is best for them. I know someone will eventually disagree with what I posted, but I can promise you that everything here is accurate and true, and although some poeple's situations and experiences may vary, these are the accurate listings and standards.

Good luck with your tire choices.

Last edited by Smok3y; 08-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Smok3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
trial and error

Member # 107096
Boggers=Zero lateral traction. Pretty much a dot legal paddle tire.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html

Last edited by whiterunner27; 08-27-2012 at 07:29 PM.
whiterunner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok3y View Post

I hope this helped, I know it's long, but maybe now people will be able to choose better which tire is best for them. I know someone will eventually disagree with what I posted, but I can promise you that everything here is accurate and true, and although some poeple's situations and experiences may vary, these are the accurate listings and standards.

Good luck with your tire choices.
Thanks for the copy and paste from the Interco website on a two year old thread, but if you don't know the difference between those tires then you shouldn't be posting in General 4x4 discussion on Pirate4x4...

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
wow, back from the dead. I have ran both boggers and TSLs and the thornbirds are still better. I haven'ts tried SXs yet
MNorby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 183520
I've got all three sitting outside my shop. Each on rims, and still yet to use them. No tech, but it did remind me I gotta finish the build.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 34860
Is this thread a joke?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnr View Post
Is this thread a joke?
the funniest part of this whole thread is this jem right here

Quote:
A lot of guys here run boggers rear, tsls up front

i didnt know people still did that
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 108799
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterunner27 View Post
Boggers=Zero lateral traction. Pretty much a dot legal paddle tire.
I cut a set of 40" boggers, not remove lugs but around making each lug into two or three lugs depending on size. Night a day. I would have done it again but wanted to run 42s. If they made a 42" bogger I would run again for sure, after I cut them. 1/4" wide, 3/4" deep.
tmaddox4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaddox4x4 View Post
I cut a set of 40" boggers, not remove lugs but around making each lug into two or three lugs depending on size. Night a day. I would have done it again but wanted to run 42s. If they made a 42" bogger I would run again for sure, after I cut them. 1/4" wide, 3/4" deep.
they do make a 42" bogger
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 225704
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaddox4x4 View Post
If they made a 42" bogger I would run again for sure, after I cut them. 1/4" wide, 3/4" deep.
They just came out with 42 boggers
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 108799
[QUOTE=rockyota83;14734583]they do make a 42" bogger[/QUOTE

No one told me this. Them mother fawkers. Anyone looking for a set of five PB Rockers?
tmaddox4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote