4405 "Phoenix" Land Use Buggy Ultra 4 Rebuild "Sneak Peek" - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #251 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21881
Pictures do not do justice.

I had to stop by and look first hand. Simply amazing.

Team Ram Rod - 91
KOH 2012
lil-bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #252 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
It's not completely done..

But check out the new 4405 webpage:

www.ovrocksports.com

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #253 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Oh, and we will have big news coming out REAL soon.

Please make sure you do not miss Pirate4x4.com TV tonight at six. You may see a little 4405 clip from Will at Heavy Metal Concepts.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 113560
Quote:
Originally Posted by e View Post
you telling some one to put there beer down and work is funny.
It seems to work
TELLICO POST #208
07 BUGGY KILLER
KRANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #255 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
2011 4405 Race-a-Thon on Vimeo

Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #256 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Win the side panels off the 4405 and Dave Cole's car AFTER KOH!!

/forum/general-4x4-discussion/944967-2011-4405-koh-race-thon-land-use.html

Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #257 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Check us out on the PSC website!

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/press/...ce-a-thon.html

Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #258 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bronc View Post
Pictures do not do justice.
Especially the pictures posted in this thread since there hasn't be a good shot of the whole buggy.

#199/4499 - Maxxis, PSC, Superior Axle and Gear, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Valley Transmission, High Angle Driveline, Warn, Sway-a-way.

Facebook
mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #259 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
Especially the pictures posted in this thread since there hasn't be a good shot of the whole buggy.
That's kinda been on purpose. LOL!

Here's the press release going out today. Please forward to as many people as possible:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

E-mail: kurt@kurtuleas.com

January 5, 2011

The 4405 “land-use buggy” races for access at the famed King of the Hammers race.
Driver Travis Carpenter asks people to “Pledge per mile made”

For the second year in a row, Rock Zombie 4x4 club member Travis Carpenter of the 4405 “land-use” team is racing in the famed King of the Hammers off-road race on February 11th to generate funds for land-use. Held by HammerKing Productions (www.kingofthehammers.com) and billed as the toughest off-road competition in the United States, the King of the Hammers is a mix of desert racing and hardcore rock crawling. The grueling 120 mile long course is split into two laps, and many competitors are not even able to finish the race. In only its 5th year, attendance at the race is expected to draw well over 30,000 people to the southern California desert.

The 4405 “Land-use” team is asking people to make a “Pledge per mile made” by Travis Carpenter to the Blue Ribbon Coalition. Individuals and companies may make a pledge at www.sharetrails.org/4405. The amount of the final donations will depend on how far Travis is able to travel in the event. A flat rate may also be pledged.

With the Blue Ribbon Coalition working nation wide to preserve access to motorized use on public lands, this race-a-thon comes at a key time when funds are sorely needed.

In 2010, the 4405 “land-use” team (www.ovrocksports.com) raised nearly $20,000 during the race-a-thon, which included major donations from the Tin Benders 4x4 club and 4Wheel Parts.

The iconic 4405 “land-use” buggy competes in off-road races and events such as the Best in the Desert and the Ultra4 series. Its mission is to raise awareness of land-use issues, promote responsible OHV recreation, trail stewardship and trail awareness. Often seen on display at businesses, events and parades, the 4405 is also used to raise funds for land-use organizations.

In 2010 the 4405 “Land-use” buggy was completely lost in a structure fire, but with the help of individuals and companies as sponsors, the vehicle is being rebuilt in order to race once again in the King of the Hammers. Major sponsors of the 4405 “land-use” team include: Fishmouth Fabworks, Artec, Pacific Fabrication, BF Goodrich, CRAWL Magazine, Hooker Harnesses, Raceline Wheels, Performace Steering Components, Reid racing, Ruffstuff Specialties, Pirate4x4.com, Wrapconcept.com, 4130 Clothing, Blue Torch Fabworks, The Rock Zombies4x4 club, Yukon Gear and Axle, PRP Seats, Bulldog Winch and Heavy Metal Concepts.

Please make a pledge today: www.sharetrails.org/4405

# # #

If you would like more information on this topic, or to schedule an interview with Kurt Schneider, e-mail Kurt at Kurt@kurtuleas.com

Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #260 (permalink)
I am very salty

Member # 43776
Send a message via Yahoo to FISHMOUTH FABWORKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
theres not a lot of room in my shop jess. it will be outside soon
Rage4th #76

FlyingFish Motorsports

I'm so salty, I'm dehydrated

http://fishmouth-fabworks.com
fishmouthfabworks@yahoo.com
FISHMOUTH FABWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #261 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86691
Got alot done this week/weekend, got it on springs finally! Putting springs on the big 3" coilovers really fill up the front end!! Also got the new Bomber Fab LS alternator relocation kit in as well! Talk about a nice kit! Came with everything including the alt and tensioner!! Some pics!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #262 (permalink)

Member # 135054
Lookin awesome!!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #263 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86691
Trout mounted the fuel pressure regulator and a couple other things.... also got the exhaust back from being powdercoated as well. Trout also threw together a U bend for the intake, no big deal
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #264 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86691
Intake tube....
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #265 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1597
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRob
Travis are you going to coat the intake u-bend also to try and keep the heat out of the intake? (would this work?) (is it a concern?)

also is the exhaust powder coated, or is it a ceramic coated? actually wondering since i just recently heard that theres only one place in sac. to get ceramic coating done cause they have to have such a hot oven compared to regular powder coat, regardless the car is looking really good!!

Originally Posted by Gunmetalcruz
I have broken so many parts in the last decade. Did I beat it, yes every time I turned the key. Parts brake when racing this witch hunt is gay.
BigRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 14780
damn fellas, looking good!

new buggy
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5890143#post5890143[/url]
save tellico post #830
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 21636
Send a message via AIM to BlackWidowCJ
Powdercoating wont hold up to the heat, its ceramic. Depending on the powder I bake it between 350 and 425. I have always shipped my headers to Jet-Hot but if there is a place in sac thats sweet.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #268 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8335
It is coming along great. I have a question about the header flanges:

Do you (somehow) mill the flanges after welding? I know when I built my headers the flange was far from straight post welding.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #269 (permalink)

Member # 44628
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideJ View Post

Do you (somehow) mill the flanges after welding? I know when I built my headers the flange was far from straight post welding.
Knowing Dan they are tiged and would make it very hard to overheat causing it to warp and become unsquare to the point of the gasket not being enough to seal it if unsquare.....rig looks good Dan
Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #270 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86691
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
Travis are you going to coat the intake u-bend also to try and keep the heat out of the intake? (would this work?) (is it a concern?)

also is the exhaust powder coated, or is it a ceramic coated? actually wondering since i just recently heard that theres only one place in sac. to get ceramic coating done cause they have to have such a hot oven compared to regular powder coat, regardless the car is looking really good!!
I am going to wrap the down pipes with header wrap, the headers and down pipes were high heat ceramic coated by Perfect It powdercoating in rancho. http://perfectitpowdercoating.com/ but there is lots of places in sac that ceramic coat headers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowCJ View Post
Powdercoating wont hold up to the heat, its ceramic. Depending on the powder I bake it between 350 and 425. I have always shipped my headers to Jet-Hot but if there is a place in sac thats sweet.
You should have called around first, I found 6 places to do it in town including one in OV. Perfect It was just the quickest turnaround and best pricing. They are coated inside and outside.

Quote:

The flanges are 1/2 thick and Trout TIG's them all.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #271 (permalink)
I am very salty

Member # 43776
Send a message via Yahoo to FISHMOUTH FABWORKS
Quote:

I clamp them to the table while welding and leave them there until they cool.They are tig welded.The best way and way I have done in the past is to use a bare cylinder head and bolt the header to it while welding. But I dont have any Ls series heads laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaphil View Post
Knowing Dan they are tiged and would make it very hard to overheat causing it to warp and become unsquare to the point of the gasket not being enough to seal it if unsquare.....rig looks good Dan
Thanks Phil, look forward to seeing you boys down there or on the Con this year
Rage4th #76

FlyingFish Motorsports

I'm so salty, I'm dehydrated

http://fishmouth-fabworks.com
fishmouthfabworks@yahoo.com
FISHMOUTH FABWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #272 (permalink)

Member # 65860
Ewwweee... lookin like ur gettin somewhere. Its a good feeling to get it on some suspension. YOU CAN DO IT!!!-voice from waterboy
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #273 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

E-mail: kurt@kurtuleas.com

January 11, 2011

4130 Clothing and the 4405 “Land-use” team partner for Griffin King of the Hammers
Partnership will focus on bringing land-use issues to the younger crowd.

4130 Clothing (www.4130clothing.com) and the 4405 “land-use” Team (www.ovrocksports.com) have partnered for the 2011 Griffin King of the Hammers (www.kingofthehammers.com and www.ultra4racing.com). The partnership will focus on getting land-use issues into the eyes of younger OHV users, who normally are not involved with keeping public lands open to the public. According to 4405 team manager and promoter Kurt Schneider, “If you were to attend a trail work party or land-use meeting, you will see that most of the people in attendance are over 35 years of age. In order for our sport to survive, we need to get the younger generation aware of land-use issues, active in trail stewardship and educate them in responsible use. Teaming up with 4130 clothing will give us a way to reach out to that younger generation. Furthermore, 4130 clothing is very active in the land-use realm, so we are excited to partner with them.”

4130 Clothing is geared towards the younger set of OHV users, especially desert racers, weekend wheelers and garage fabricators. The style has stemmed from the Southern California desert and has spread throughout much of the West Coast with the younger generation of four wheeled, off highway vehicle users. 4405 driver Travis Carpenter states, “4130 clothing reflects my lifestyle, so I, as well as many others on the 4405 team, wear it on a regular basis. Because of that, we actively pursued 4130 clothing as a sponsor. We can’t identify with the motorcross apparel that the dirt bike crowd wears, but I can identify with 4130. It’s what we like to wear. It is who we are.”

The 4405 “land-use” buggy driven by Rock Zombie club member Travis Carpenter has become land-use’s flag ship. Modeled after BlueRibbon Coalition Ambassador Del Albright’s “war machine” Jeep, the 4405’s mission is to raise awareness of land-use issues, promote responsible OHV recreation, trail stewardship and trail awareness, especially with the younger generation of OHV users. Currently, the 4405 team is holding a fund raiser at the 2011 Griffin King of the Hammers with a “race-a-thon” for the BlueRibbon Coalition. The team is asking people and companies to “pledge per mile” at www.sharetrails.org/4405

Evan Serling, President of 4130 Industries, is excited to partner up with the 4405 “Land Use” Team for the 2011 season. He states, “4130 is experiencing a lot of growth right now and we’re actively looking to expand into other areas of the off road racing industry. Since 2007 our focus has been on Baja style desert racing but now we are working on branching out into other areas such as 4x4 rock-crawling. When Kurt approached me about a partnership, I was immediately interested by the message they were promoting and for the fact that it would be a solid entry point for 4130 to step into the 4x4 off road world.” Currently 4130 Clothing can be bought online at www.4130clothing.com or at retail stores across America such as No Fear.

# # #

If you would like more information on this topic, or to schedule an interview with Kurt Schneider, Please e-mail Kurt at Kurt@kurtuleas.com

Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #274 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101680
Send a message via MSN to napsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARP1 View Post
Got alot done this week/weekend, got it on springs finally! Putting springs on the big 3" coilovers really fill up the front end!! Also got the new Bomber Fab LS alternator relocation kit in as well! Talk about a nice kit! Came with everything including the alt and tensioner!! Some pics!
Nice!
napsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #275 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARP1 View Post
Also got the new Bomber Fab LS alternator relocation kit in as well! Talk about a nice kit! Came with everything including the alt and tensioner!! Some pics!
that kit is nice. does the 105a alternator that comes with the kit supply enough juice to run all your fans and lights and stuff or are running a bigger alternator?
laproscopic is offline   Reply With Quote