Pirate 4x4 banner

Leaf Spring Droop - How much shock?????

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Beat95YJ 
#1 ·
How much shock droop can a "flexy" front leaf spring set up use.

I am mounting my new shocks and with my current brackets I am only going to have ~ 7" of droop.

I know there are alot of variables but I have never measured mine before I tore it down for these changes.

YJ, 60's, 42's, etc...

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Sounds like if you have about 7" of droop, you might have about 4" of uptravel or so (just a complete shot-in-the-dark guess), but that sounds like a 12" or 14" travel shock to me. If you can mount a 14" with the travel centered, then go for it and bump stop accordingly. Same for a 12" really, but we can't know how much travel your rig has without you actually flexing it out to check.

#5 ·
Thanks Corey.

My front is similar to your with the exception of spring length.

I have 14" shocks and with the current setup will have 7 up and 7 down.

I was shooting for 6 up 8 down but that will require a little re-work.

My main concern is on the droop. I dont know if the Jeep would max out the shock with only 7" of droop to work with.

Sounds like it is working for you without issue.

#4 ·
Shock mount placement ("brackets") shackle angle etc. all come into play. I'm currently at ~9" droop, with no issues and no limit straps. ~ 5" uptravel with damn near flat springs, and the shackle angle almost at 45*. 14" shocks.. She rides well for a swapped rig ( '98 Taco w/ bastard pack and 4" shackle) and crawls well too...
I'll post a pic stretched out tomorrow if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.