Pirate 4x4 banner

Tim's Toy by Twisted Customs

122K views 315 replies 98 participants last post by  ethann 
#1 · (Edited)

This build is the culmination of a lifelong dream! As a kid, I dreamed about racing a Class 1 buggy. Then I got bitten by the rock crawling bug in the 80's when my dad bought a Toyota 4x4 pickup. When the first rock crawling competitions started in the 90's, I knew that was the direction I wanted to go. Unfortunately, I am not wealthy, so all I could do was dream, work hard, and make plans for the future. When BF Goodrich built the Karnivore to showcase their new Krawlers, I fell in love, and had to have it. After it was raffled off, I immediately contacted the winner, put a second mortgage on my house, and purchased it. Wow, what a cool rig, but unfortunately, it's hard to fully enjoy a toy like that when you're making payments. So, I turned around and sold it before I ever put a scratch on it. Then I put my plans into high gear, got my house paid off in five short years, and started putting large monthly deposits into my "buggy fund" until I was finally ready to contact Twisted Customs. Their buggies have claimed more podium finishes than any other chassis manufacturer by a wide margin, so that made them the clear choice for me. I need all the help I can get! Honestly, though, their attention to detail is second to none. So, if you're looking for a little piece of perfection in an imperfect world, then Twisted Customs is the only answer.

I know you're tired of hearing my life story, so let the build thread begin. Just to clarify, I contacted Twisted Customs many months ago. They were very up front in letting me know that they were restructuring the company and would be building and moving into a new shop in the near future. This gave us plenty of time to acquire most of the major parts needed, and it also gave me time to save for a new enclosed trailer to haul my new toy.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of the engine, which is by far the most horsepower I've ever owned! It should be a huge step up from my old 22RE!

Turnkey Engine Supply, 480HP, LS3, 6.2L aluminum V8, with a Kevco trap door oil pan, high volume oil pump and custom high mounted serpentine system.

#5 · (Edited)
TCI built me a really nice TH400 with all the best internals, including a full manual reverse valve body with engine braking, 2.75:1 6-pinion planetary set, an Ultra Bell, 300M input shaft, a 34 element sprag, forged steel clutch hub, and Alto red clutches. She's able to handle up to 1500HP!!!

#7 · (Edited)
Mega Hi9s!!! 5.40:1 deep cut gears made of 9310 steel just like NASCAR. They have 35 spline pinions, dual load bolts, solid pinion spacers and forged 1350 U-bolt style yokes. I also went with the new Grizzly Lockers. They are basically an improved Detroit. They're made of chromoly and have a deeper tooth engagement. They're guaranteed not to self destruct when you snap an axle.

#8 · (Edited)
Spidertrax "PRO Series" Spider 9 axle housings and steering knuckles.

Brad Lovell got the first production PRO Series housing and I got the second and third. These were worth the wait! Heat treated 4130 chromoly tubes that are roughly 2 1/2 times the strength of 1026 DOM!!!

#18 ·
Really nice. Even though you may not be doing the acutal fab'n part Id say you have done the hardest part by working hard to pay off your house, save up, waiting so long to obtain your dream and getting what you really want, thanks for posting up the build.

#23 · (Edited)
Gonna be the sickest TC buggy to date.
Thanks guys! Yeah, I knew this build was way beyond my skills. I've built a few rigs in the past but this time I wanted to have one done professionally. After seeing Kula's, Nolen's, Karl's, Rob's and a few other rigs I knew the guys at Twisted Customs were the pros I was looking for. Jason and Nate have been great to work with. They are taking all my crazy ideas and turning them into reality!

#29 ·
I was just talking about the Karnivore the other day, and wondering if it's still around. I've still got a framed poster of it in the garage. Great parts list, definitely a dream build!!!!:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

Subscribed

#34 ·
I was just talking about the Karnivore the other day, and wondering if it's still around. I've still got a framed poster of it in the garage. Great parts list, definitely a dream build!!!!:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:
I know one of them is owned by the current owner of Poison Spyder Customs. As far as I know there was a comp model and the giveaway model.

#41 ·
Yep, two seat, 54" wide chassis. Ultimate trail rig is my number one goal. Unlimited W.E.Rock buggy is second and Ultra 4 is third. Don't know if I'll have the time or money to compete much but I'd like to give it a try. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.