Pirate 4x4 banner

Tim's Toy by Twisted Customs

122K views 315 replies 98 participants last post by  ethann 
#1 · (Edited)

This build is the culmination of a lifelong dream! As a kid, I dreamed about racing a Class 1 buggy. Then I got bitten by the rock crawling bug in the 80's when my dad bought a Toyota 4x4 pickup. When the first rock crawling competitions started in the 90's, I knew that was the direction I wanted to go. Unfortunately, I am not wealthy, so all I could do was dream, work hard, and make plans for the future. When BF Goodrich built the Karnivore to showcase their new Krawlers, I fell in love, and had to have it. After it was raffled off, I immediately contacted the winner, put a second mortgage on my house, and purchased it. Wow, what a cool rig, but unfortunately, it's hard to fully enjoy a toy like that when you're making payments. So, I turned around and sold it before I ever put a scratch on it. Then I put my plans into high gear, got my house paid off in five short years, and started putting large monthly deposits into my "buggy fund" until I was finally ready to contact Twisted Customs. Their buggies have claimed more podium finishes than any other chassis manufacturer by a wide margin, so that made them the clear choice for me. I need all the help I can get! Honestly, though, their attention to detail is second to none. So, if you're looking for a little piece of perfection in an imperfect world, then Twisted Customs is the only answer.

I know you're tired of hearing my life story, so let the build thread begin. Just to clarify, I contacted Twisted Customs many months ago. They were very up front in letting me know that they were restructuring the company and would be building and moving into a new shop in the near future. This gave us plenty of time to acquire most of the major parts needed, and it also gave me time to save for a new enclosed trailer to haul my new toy.

See less See more
#271 ·
Tim really launched the buggy and when it leveled out he thought he was back on the ground and spooled everything up and then it landed. 500hp coming on tap and instant traction on all 4 39's reds and the atlas said f-this.

Expensive lesson for sure.

#276 · (Edited)
I looked back through the build to try to figure it out because even though I haven't owned an atlas, that seems a little strange.

I couldnt find a finished pic of your intermediary front shaft between the atlas and carrier bearing. Does it have a slip joint? If that shaft is solid up to the carrier bearing, any movement/rotation from torque is going to twist the engine and tcase in its poly mounts, but that shaft will try to hold it solid...

So the shock load from the landing torqued the motor and trans further than they ever have before, but the front shaft didn't want any of it and pushed away from the case

#277 ·
I disagree. I don't think the motor could ever move far enough to break the atlas case. The way twisted customs builds their engine mounts they don't allow much movement. Also the Trans tail housing would fail first. It will be interesting to see what the gears in the atlas look like.

#278 ·
When you spool it up and then stop it (when the tires hit the ground) all the intenals of the atlas want to flex. The weak link is the case. I locked up a rear c.v and blew apart a tranfer case before. It sucks.......The pic
below is from Matt Peterson buggy

#281 · (Edited)
When you spool it up and then stop it (when the tires hit the ground) all the intenals of the atlas want to flex. The weak link is the case. I locked up a rear c.v and blew apart a tranfer case before. It sucks.......The pic
below is from Matt Peterson buggy
What does a new case cost? :eek:

#282 ·
I hate to agree with Dobosh but something is not right there. That landing was nothing to worry about. You should have been able to do that 30 times on pavement.

The whole truck lifted when he throttled it.

I know the TC setup is proven but there is a ton on this buggy that is one-off/untested Twisted. Jason has a formula and this truck is a new mix.

I would lean on saying it is a bad case or a driveshaft binding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.