Badland winches - Harbor Freight? Are they junk? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #76 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4979
Good price on the warn, where did you find it?
mrstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #77 (permalink)
Angry Gecko

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstang01 View Post
Good price on the warn, where did you find it?
Labor day sale from 4wpw's
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 199505
I just sold my old and well used Road Shock 10K winch... I had absolutely no issues with it. At one point, myself and another truck were wheeling the lead mine side of Mt Kearsarge in NH, We got to several points where it was winch walk or turn back. I was the only one with a winch so I winched my way through the march then up a 300' very steep muddy hill strewn with large bones. I made it in three hitches to the top. Once there, I turn around, anchored my truck with two come alongs and winched my buddy up from where he finally got stuck trying to make the hill. It was in the 90s, mud was flying everywhere. That roadshock pulled me out of four deadenders with zero problems. Sense then I used it to skid trees, pull my buds jeep out of a swamp, pulled a tree off a house after Irene stormed through the state... I sold it to a logger and he says he beats the living snot out of it and it still won't quit. I just installed a new Badlands 12K on the Bronco. It went in in about 45min. Can't wait to put it through the ringer.

What pisses off the Warn, Milemarker and the rest is.... the roadshock came in third in a brutal battle of the winches. The comments were, it didn't know when to quit, and used less amps doing it.

If you feel the need to spend big coil on a name plate, that's your business. But if you want a low cost dependable winch that will do everything you want it to, then take a close look at the Bad Lands winches. If they're half what the road shock was, I'll be psyched. Beside you can take the extra cash you saved and buy a fully loaded recovery kit... like I did

Jager
Jager1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I have a HF 2000 lb winch I picked up for $40 on sale and have been using on a truck crane for the past year. I've moved multiple fully dressed dana 60's and a single pull fully dressed 460, C6, and NP205, which has to weight 750 lbs or more. When it was new and run to 1/0 gauge jumpers it would moved the heavy stuff no problem. I installed permanently "1/0" cheap wiring (the insulation is thick and the actual wire is maybe 4 gauge, disappointing), and now it will move most things under 400 lbs single pull but I hooked up a sheave and double it up to move the motors and stuff now, but its still pounding. I keep a cover on it when not in use but its out in the elements and stuff. I'm pretty happy with it. I bought a 3000 lb winch when they were closing out the old style winches (it was like $30?) and thought I'd have to use it to replace the little 2000 lb one before too long, but its still holding up for now. I would not hesitate to try one of their more expensive ones. As for what people keep saying about warn and the other more expensive winches, well, the peterson test should prove that any winch can break... you shouldn't have all your eggs in one recovery basket and you probably shouldn't put yourself in a situation where an electric winch is all that keeps you from having to walk out. I keep a variety of straps, a chain hoist, a come along, jack, etc. They aren't as easy to use as a winch but they are useful and its always good to have a manual back up.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 106694
HF Has the 9K badland for 259.99 The code is 50306304 and is valid through 2/11/12. Im going to pick one up for my trailer.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 127442
What does everyone think about the rough country winches? I just ordered one and should have it next week.
Ford rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #82 (permalink)
Grown Ass Man

Member # 106782
I have run an 8k Chicago electric on my jeep for a little over 3 years. Many hard pulls, long drawn out light pulls, no problems yet, from the get go the controller sucks, gotta bang it against the bumper or the cage sometimes, but always works none the less. If you've ever been around one it's geared too deep to tear itself up in my opinion, price was right, it's been reliable and if I Pull winch I really need to slow down and assess the situation. Also have a new badlands 2000 suckdown winch and it works sweet, time will tell on that though.
1981 foretravel 35' pusher 3208 cat/Allison
2000 xj 4.0/aw4/231/300 404's 43"s f/r full hydro, caged, stretched, cut, plated.
Build thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...t-bruiser.html
(o)(o)xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #83 (permalink)
HARDliner

Member # 120751
IMO you should buy the best winch you can afford. If that happens to be the Badlands...then so be it. It would be better to have it than no winch at all.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 203223
badland 12000

i bought on and built a heavy duty mount for it. to test it i hooked it up to a tree and ran the line out to get a full pull. it ripped the mount off my truck after 5'. by rip i mean it sheered the bolts in half. i was using 7/16 grade 8 bolts. more than enough. the winch has pulled me out of mud that was up to my door handles with a new mount obviously but still it has performed flawlessly for the past 2 months. and for the price and warranty you cant beat it. i went from a m8000 to the 12000 and it pulls so hard i don't worry about getting stuck. it is i will admit a little slow but for a 12000 lb winch it aint that far off the mark compared to the other more expensive winches. just make sure ur electrical components can handle the draw.
94k1500z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #85 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
Any other reviews on the Badland winches other than these two douch nozzles who more than likely joined the forum for some apparent reason to talk about winching in their muddy trails...definitely not knowing their target audience...because is certainly the most hardcore mudcrawling website on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94k1500z71 View Post
i bought on and built a heavy duty mount for it. to test it i hooked it up to a tree and ran the line out to get a full pull. it ripped the mount off my truck after 5'. by rip i mean it sheered the bolts in half. i was using 7/16 grade 8 bolts. more than enough. the winch has pulled me out of mud that was up to my door handles with a new mount obviously but still it has performed flawlessly for the past 2 months. and for the price and warranty you cant beat it. i went from a m8000 to the 12000 and it pulls so hard i don't worry about getting stuck. it is i will admit a little slow but for a 12000 lb winch it aint that far off the mark compared to the other more expensive winches. just make sure ur electrical components can handle the draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager1 View Post
I just sold my old and well used Road Shock 10K winch... I had absolutely no issues with it. At one point, myself and another truck were wheeling the lead mine side of Mt Kearsarge in NH, We got to several points where it was winch walk or turn back. I was the only one with a winch so I winched my way through the march then up a 300' very steep muddy hill strewn with large bones. I made it in three hitches to the top. Once there, I turn around, anchored my truck with two come alongs and winched my buddy up from where he finally got stuck trying to make the hill. It was in the 90s, mud was flying everywhere. That roadshock pulled me out of four deadenders with zero problems. Sense then I used it to skid trees, pull my buds jeep out of a swamp, pulled a tree off a house after Irene stormed through the state... I sold it to a logger and he says he beats the living snot out of it and it still won't quit. I just installed a new Badlands 12K on the Bronco. It went in in about 45min. Can't wait to put it through the ringer.

What pisses off the Warn, Milemarker and the rest is.... the roadshock came in third in a brutal battle of the winches. The comments were, it didn't know when to quit, and used less amps doing it.

If you feel the need to spend big coil on a name plate, that's your business. But if you want a low cost dependable winch that will do everything you want it to, then take a close look at the Bad Lands winches. If they're half what the road shock was, I'll be psyched. Beside you can take the extra cash you saved and buy a fully loaded recovery kit... like I did

Jager
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 92930
The Engo seems like a better winch for the price. I don't have experience with either, just the smittybuilt
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #87 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 113532
I purchased a 12k unit several months ago when I received a HF flyer with a great coupon ($249, $279? can't remember). Winch looks beefy, sounds good, and has acceptable line speed. Only used it a few times but it had no problem pulling my K5 Blazer in the rocks when I would get hung up. Remote switch doesn't seem to be a high quality piece but works fine.

Overall it was a good buy as far as I am concerned.
SCOTTY X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #88 (permalink)
Profender Suspension

Member # 185857
I hear this place has the best prices on the Engo winches.

http://www.profendersuspension.com/ENGO-winch_c_17.html
ProfenderUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 92930
Ended up getting the 12k today, I didn't wanna order one and have to wait, I'm going to school on the 9th and wanna get my winch mounted

Will let you guys know my opinions
Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 207522
I got an exclusive coupon from the petersons 4wor mag. only 249.99, Im tempted to try one out on my rig
evensteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 2490
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensteven View Post
I got an exclusive coupon from the petersons 4wor mag. only 249.99, Im tempted to try one out on my rig
Can you remember which Month you got that Coupon from?
I'm missing a few months (Jan-Feb) & I can't find it in the Mar 11 Mag.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 132931
ive had my hf on my rig for 6 years with lots of hard pulls some even under water with no problems. it's not fast at all but never quits.

Last edited by blazerv10; 01-04-2012 at 05:16 PM.
blazerv10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 131156
I found this coupon in the "4x4 Garage presents: Toyota" special edition.

jd350az is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 216593
I have the 12,000 lb badland winch on my 2011 rubicon and it has gotten me out of some tight situations However, I must mention that I believe it's not true to its 12,000 lb claim since it simply stops pulling at times and shuts off for a minute. I plan to switch the badland to the rear and install a warn on front. Spare no expense on your recovery tools!
RidingINtheRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 219237
I recently mounted a 12000 lb Badland on my Raptor.I strongly suggest that anyone who has one of these check the circuit breakers.Mine came with 3 50 amp breakers when it should have had 3 100 amp breakers. The winch would have failed on me the first time I really needed it.
dgrud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 219237
Check and make sure your circuit breakers are 100 amps each. Mine were 50 amps which was a factory mistake.Please let me know your findings.Dgrud
dgrud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #97 (permalink)
Indefatigable

Member # 35904
Quote:
Originally Posted by (o)(o)xj View Post
I have run an 8k Chicago electric on my jeep for a little over 3 years. Many hard pulls, long drawn out light pulls, no problems yet, from the get go the controller sucks, gotta bang it against the bumper or the cage sometimes, but always works none the less. If you've ever been around one it's geared too deep to tear itself up in my opinion, price was right, .
I have had the 8K Chicago Electric winch for 6 years now. The controller and relays are junk. I installed a set of generic Warn replacements and that sorted the issue.
I have drowned it, pulled rigs twice my size and collapsed a wall of granite at Longs ranch when I high centered. Every other year I pull the side plate and pack a whole tube of red grease in the planataries.. It gets damned hot in Texas in the summer..

Funny story, I was high centered on the stock TX cross-member at Long's..I attached to a moderate cedar tree, pulled that puppy right out of the ground. Reset the cable about 20 feet deeper in to the woods, pulled a much bigger cedar tree out of the ground. Reset it on a monster cedar and started to pull it out of the ground.. I finally dug my tree saver strap out of the box, and winched to a very old Oak. The oak stayed put, but the ledge of granite I was hung on came down into the arroyo along with my rig.

Glad no one saw me.. it was embarrassing..

Don't wheel solo...
Projects
IFS; IRS Buggy Project: STILL! Unfinished, Untested and un-paid for!
Toys
31' Fiver
08 Japanese Market WR-250-X SuperMoto
Tow rig
03 GMC Sierra, Duramax, Allison

Last edited by Elvis-n-Texas; 05-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Elvis-n-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 219247
Been on THERANGERSTATION.com for a few years & did a google search about BADLAND wiches. Saw your website listed so now I joined here also.

My INTRO

94 Ranger long bed,2.3l,5spd,5.5" lifted 2wd,8.8 4.10LS,
33x12.50/15 BFG KM2s,entire front clip is from a 2003 Ranger edge model.

Will be doing a SAS in the future along with installing an explorer rear disc brake rearend with 4.88 gears.

About BADLAND winches:

ok so the SmittyBuilt & CSI are both china made as wells as The BADLAND winches from Harbor freight & the prices @ HF are even lower. Theres even a coupon ad in 6/12 edition of FOURWHEELER pg .68

6000lb reg.$319 sale $239 9000lb reg.$399 sale $299 12000lb reg.$499 sale $339

any one have any input into these vehicle recovery winches?

I have a atv 3000 lb winche from HF mounted on the cross bar just behind my cab on my ladder rack to help pull my dolly up 9ft ramp when I have heavy wood stoves to scrap.

It states to undo the cable & apply 500lbs pulling pressure to end to redrum the cable. What I did was put a tree hugger strap around a utility pole & pull my truck forward 50 ft. This winche has 50ft of 3/16 cable.

I then left truck in neutral & engine running & started to pull truck back towards pole.When trucks back bumper was nearly to the pole I then grabbed the cable with my welding gloves & disconnected from tree huugger strap & continued to pull cable onto drum. My truck weights right around 4300 lbs empty so that by it self was even more then the 3/16 cable & winche are rated for.

I first used the winche to pull a 6ft long double slider Snapple cooler into my truck & Friday I pulled a 28ft park model trailer frame up a slight hill & closer to flat ground to cut up & all four tires were froze. Yesterday I even used it to drag a old golf cart up the ramp & into the bed of my truck,that was by far most work its had as the rear tires on the cart were locked up & the tires straddled my ramp ,so the cart was being dragged over exspanded metal ramp along its undercarriage.

If the 6000lb-12000lb perform as well as my 3000 lb then I will be buying 2 9000lb winches before the coupon expires on 8/17/2012 Limited to 4 per coupon.

I figure that if CSI & SmittyBuilt are China built as well as BADLAND then why not go with the lower priced one. And being that FOURWHEELER is running there coupon ad then that must say something good about those winches
94 lngbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 219247
I was HF today to buy a new appliance dolly & they have a flyer thats good for 3 days only June 8,9 & 10. Its advertising there 12,000 lb winche on sale for $299.99 a savings of $200

And theres even a statement printed

"Badland's 12,000 lb winch voted THE BEST DEAL IN WINCHING"
CC Rogers, Off-Road Magazine. December 2011
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 219247
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingINtheRUBI View Post
I have the 12,000 lb badland winch on my 2011 rubicon and it has gotten me out of some tight situations However, I must mention that I believe it's not true to its 12,000 lb claim since it simply stops pulling at times and shuts off for a minute. I plan to switch the badland to the rear and install a warn on front. Spare no expense on your recovery tools!

Thats cause they only have a Duty Cycle Rating
5% (45 sec at Max Rated Load;14 min, 15 sec Rest)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.