Pirate 4x4 banner

Unaimous Opposition to Marine Expansion

7K views 70 replies 41 participants last post by  ToadRacing 
#1 ·
On May 25, 2011, the OHMVR Commission voted unanimously to OPPOSE all expansion by the 29 Palms Marine Base.

Anyone wanting play by play comments on what happened at the OHMVR Commission meeting with the Marines, follow Helen Baker. It was amazing. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1063153087

A battle is won, but the war goes on.

#40 · (Edited)
No offense to the Marines, but this is the first battle I ever wanted them to loose! A great memorial weekend to all, remember our veterans and those fighting for all of our freedoms! This is a huge WIN, however long it lasts!

#44 · (Edited)
I tried to explain that sentiment to Col. Mac when he was looking to have us take him on a tour of JV and spend the night at a camp out there to see what we do.

I told him that by and large, offroaders are patriotic and staunch supporters of the military and that taking away one of the premiere offroading areas in the US put us at strong odds with our beliefs about them and what we do.

I don't think he got it.

#51 ·
BlueRibbon Coalition (our national grassroots group) has chimed in dang strong on the JV issue and Marine unnecessary expansion idea thanks to our lead hook on this, Don Amador:

Contacts:•Don Amador, BRC Western Representative
Phone: (925) 625-6287
Fax: (925) 625-5309
Email: brdon@sharetrails.org
Webpage: http://www.sharetrails.org/staff/#DonA
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

OAKLEY, CA (May 23) - A national trail-based recreation group continues its strong opposition to a proposed military base expansion into a popular OHV recreation area in Southern California. The BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) submitted comments on May 19, 2011, that are directed to the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the 29 Palms Training Land Acquisition/Airspace Establishment Study.

BRC believes all of the action alternatives (1-6) are basically "closure of Johnson Valley OHV area" alternatives. The action alternatives would practically or functionally close the entire 180 thousand acre Johnson Valley OHV area to public use.

Don Amador, Western Representative for the BlueRibbon Coalition, states, "BRC has reviewed the Draft EIS and continues in our strong opposition to the entire project including the proposed withdrawal. BRC believes the EIS is fatally flawed and is not in compliance with NEPA."

Amador continues, "BRC believes the Corps has failed to meaningfully explain the 'need' in the purpose and need section. Aside from not identifying the proper basis for an increased training land-base, the purpose and need statement blithely ignores any discussion of the balance necessitated by any project of this nature. BRC believes the EIS/project should be withdrawn and shelved given its fatal flaws, public objection to the project, and national economic crisis."

BRC continues to encourage its members to submit public comments by the May 26, 2011, deadline.

More at http://www.sharetrails.org

#56 ·
I don't know. But this week on NPR in my car I heard that the Marine expansion was a done deal. I pray they were wrong.

#58 ·
Helen maybe you could answer a nagging question I have about the OHVMRC decision here and why everyone is surprised they reacted this way.

I would think it would be a no brainer for them to oppose this, almost an obligation, so why wouldn't they oppose the expansion?

#60 ·
Mustard Dog,

I can't remember the last time that the Commission took a stand on anything. They are mostly advisory, similar to the DAC. And, if you'll remember a couple of years back we did the tour for the DAC, and nothing came of it. So, props to the Commissioners and extra props to Daphne Greene and the OHMVR Division for speaking out on the expansion. It's rare for a Government appointee to be so honest.

#65 ·
Mustard Dog, here are a couple tidbits that might help.
First off, the OHV Commission we all knew from the past, NEVER supported us period. I can't recall how many frustrating mass attempts we made to sway them towards common sense and the will of the people. It failed due to their appointment status. Those commissioners that opposed us anyway, held the gavel and out-numbered the Commissioners on our side. So now, today, to see a Commission that makes sense for the responsibilities they have, is AWESOME. Then to have them support us openly, unanimously, is incredible.

Secondly, when political bodies speak out (even advisory ones), it adds fodder to those who spoke and those who support them or appointed them.
It adds up. It's like a cummulative effect -- building on support of each other. It works well in our democratic republic process. :)

And lastly, if some Marine is really looking for a path to promotion by taking a swipe at JV, then our course of action is to mass our troops and political bodies to undo that idea at the highest levels of military command (and political oversight)....with an outcry of unified voices. Much like we are doing with over 20,000 letters from us.

Hope this helps,
Del

#66 ·
Remarks from a Johnson Valley Resident

The following report was prepared by Betty Munson, President of the Johnson Valley Improvement Association. Betty also writes a column for the Hi Desert Star. Harry & I have worked with Betty and others in the JV community for the last three years. We've formed ties that will last for years to come with the people that call Johnson Valley their home 24/7/365. Most of these folks are there for the same reason that the offroaders are. They came to JV to recreate and ended up staying and making a home.

Some up the material here may be in other posts, but it is a good read all the way to the end.

Also, included in the text is the Press Release that came out from the OHMVR Division with the "no expansion" resolution from the OHMVR Commission.

Helen & Harry Baker
PFJV
CA4WDC

Update from Betty Munson 5/28/11 State Parks OHV Commission Tour of Johnson Valley

If you did not get a chance to read the Johnson Valley column in the May 28 Hi-Desert Star I reprint it
here:

Johnson Valley residents and property owners were invited to join a tour last Tuesday that showcased
the unique Johnson Valley Open Riding Area.
The purpose was to review the proposed expansion of the Marine Base in preparation for the meeting on
Wednesday of the State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission, which had the
expansion plans on the agenda.
Traveling in a long caravan is not our first choice, but it was worth it. The route chosen showed
the visitors some of the best of the Johnson Valley wide and wild variety of terrain. We even got to a trail
we had never seen before, through a rocky volcanic pass, just proving every time you go out you find
something new.
Commissioners from all over the state got to ride in some Hammers-class rock crawler buggies,
trailered in for the occasion. The rest of the 50+ attendees traveled in “ordinary” 4WD vehicles, with Ray
Pessa’s big sand buggy taking three passengers on less rocky routes, his big American flag appearing on
the skyline at the top of sandhills or appearing out of nowhere on lower trails.
Our first stop was at the short but grueling Hammers trail named Chocolate Thunder, where we
looked down to see the rock crawlers do their stuff, going where it looks like no man could have ever
gone before, navigating around and over the boulder-filled canyon floor.
The off-roaders belong to several associations, and had made this special trip during the work
week, just to help show the outside world what an amazing place Johnson Valley really is. State Parks and
BLM officials were there. Locals were on the scene, too. Bill Lembright of the Lucerne Valley Market
and Hardware, who is an avid explorer here (in a slightly less high-tech vehicle) could not stay with the
tour as he had to go back to work. Johnson Valley residents included Ken Cash, Jim Hanley, Court Prittie,
Rebecca Unger and myself. The Friends of Giant Rock were on hand, Ray Pessa, Chuck Roney and Mike
Hawkins. And of course, Helen and Harry Baker, our staunch supporters from the Partnership for Johnson
Valley were there.

The Commission is made up of nine members appointed by the Governor, Senate Committee on
Rules and the Speaker of the Assembly. They are charged with hearing our concerns related to off-highway
vehicle recreation in California and make recommendations to the Parks OHV program.
Obviously, the eight state parks allowing OHV recreation will feel the impact of diversion of the many
visitors to Johnson Valley if the Base expansion is approved.
Our thanks to Daphne Green and the State Parks staff, and to the commissioners for coming out
here and for asking our opinions.

In a quick report on the Wednesday meeting, Chuck Roney wrote, “Today's Calif. OHMVR Commission meeting in Ontario was very interesting. The Marines were there pushing hard. After a
lengthy public comments session the commission voted on and passed a resolution not to approve or back
the expansion of the base to the west. In fact they recommended the no action choice. The Marines
packed up and went home early…”

When I circulated the story by e-mail, I got a reply from Johnson Valley resident Bob Warman,
‘Wow! Even the Taliban can't get the Marines to "pack up and go home early.”’

The following press release went out on Thursday:

The State Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission will not support the proposed
Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center expansion into Johnson Valley’s off-road areas. They
recommended the “no action” option which also precludes expansion to the east.
The resolution took place at the Commission’s public hearing in Ontario on Wednesday, after they
toured several miles of the recreation area the day before.
“All the alternatives create displacement of recreational users, which will over-tax other areas and
make it hard to maintain safety,” said Phil Jenkins, Chief of the California State Parks Off-Highway
Motor Vehicle Recreation Division.
Chief Jenkins noted that during the Tuesday tour, the officials were impressed by the pristine condition
of the recreational area.
“For an area so heavily used by so many for so long, you can tell that the people who use it really
care for it,” Jenkins marveled, observing that not all areas under their jurisdiction are so well tended.
“Johnson Valley is a good example of how well people can take care of the resources they enjoy.”
Since the expansion plans were first released in 2008, public opinion in the Basin has been in opposition.
While the Basin’s relationship with the Base is good and support is fairly unilateral for its existing
operations and personnel, the Johnson Valley expansion plans have not been popular with riders or
residents. “We took a lot of public opinion at Wednesday’s meeting, and the vast majority was extremely
respectful of the Marines,” Jenkins concurred. “They love them, but right where they are.”
The public comment period on the expansion’s Draft Environmental Impact Statement ended
Thursday (May 26). However, the representatives from the Marine base reminded those present that
Congress will ultimately make the decision.
“It will be interesting to track this and see where it goes,” mused Jenkins. “Perhaps we’ll have
another chance at it.”
The resolution passed by the OHMVR Commission will be available on the website,
www.ohv.parks.ca.gov.

Betty Munson continues.......

To those who have been working so long and hard to keep Johnson Valley public lands open to the public,
the fact the commission not only invited our opinions, but listened and then sided with us, is nothing short
of amazing.

I logged on to Pirate4x4.com thanking the rock buggy guys for turning out on such short notice to give
the commissioners a taste of what all the excitement is about. I asked what they said. Two replies so far:

“I had the pleasure of touring Johnson Valley with Commissioner Franklin as my passenger. We took
them up Chocolate Thunder, over to Sledgehammer and out past Elvis for lunch. The commissioners were
all impressed with the area, the lack of trash and the abundance of flora. Thanks to all the other drivers
who took the time to come out and show the Commissioners a good time and rationally explain our case...
On that note the Commission voted unanimously to oppose the expansion of 29 Palms!!!!!!!”

“I had three different riders with me and all three of them had an absolute blast. I think one of the highlights
of the day was when Randy Slawson put his rig on the side with his Commissioner in the passenger
seat and how everyone worked effortlessly to right it. We all talked about how much land the Marines
wanted, how much JV means to us and our families, how the communities depend on the users of JV for
their financial survival and how awesome the area is as a public resource. We also talked about our doubts
that sharing would actually work. It is really nice to hear that the proposed resolution was adopted.”

Videos of public comments and Johnson Valley can be seen on YouTube
YouTube - ‪Johnson Valley Land Grab OHV Meeting June 22, 2011‬‏
YouTube - ‪Johnson Valley Land Grap‬‏
YouTube - ‪Land Grab‬‏
YouTube - ‪Save Johnson Valley from USMC expansion‬‏

Updated Saturday May 28, 2011

Today Helen and Harry Baker came to the Saturday Breakfast at the Johnson Valley Community Center.
We traded stories about the Tuesday tour, and they filled us in on the meeting in Ontario on Wednesday.
Helen had posted comments on Facebook during the meeting, and she told me they were now repeated on
Pirate 4x4. I copy them here, slightly edited.

(Note, Chris Proudfoot is now the expansion Project Manager, replacing Joe Ross, who retired last year.
KOH is the Griffin King of the Hammers desert race.)

(Also note, Helen is by no means an unbiased observer, having fought the loss of access to public lands
for many years.)

Helen Baker real-time reports on Facebook: I gotta give the Commissioners credit, they are asking
tough questions. The public will have their chance to speak in a little while.
Wednesday at 1:54pm
Chris Proudfoot has just started to "sell" the "public use" area. He invoked KOH, to suck us in. He's
backpedaling by saying that "TO A HIGH DEGREE" the dual use area should be available 10 months of
the year. Proudfoot actually just said, "I know that I'm dancing around." Ya think????????
Wednesday at 1:59pm
Proudfoot: Alternative 6 balances the needs of the Marine Corps, the users and the residents. NOT.
Wednesday at 2:01pm ·
Helen: This is being refuted by all speakers!
Proudfoot: they will read every comment.
Wednesday at 2:02pm
Marines plan is to have the information to the Secretary of the Navy by April, 2012 for a decision.
Wednesday at 2:03pm
Helen: Commissioners want to hear what the public has to say before they make any decision. This is a
change to procedure. Good for the commission!
So far, 100% of public speakers oppose the taking of Johnson Valley.
Wednesday at 2:24pm
Amy Granat of California Off Road Vehicle Association just spoke, very passionate, will they listen?
Wednesday at 2:26pm
Jim Woods of the California Off Road Vehicle Association just called for the no-action alternative.
Wednesday at 2:28pm
Latest speaker says, Scrap the entire DEIS and go back and come up with some REASONABLE
alternatives.
Wednesday at 2:35pm
Managers of other OHV areas say they cannot support the number of users that will be displaced from
Johnson Valley.
Wednesday at 2:36pm
Current speaker says, land is being taken away from us by the very same people that are going around the
globe to save liberty for others. Our freedoms are being taken away, we are being ignored.
Wednesday at 2:40pm
Helen: Calls for Marines to either throw out the DEIS and start over, or take no action. Speaking of no
action. Does anyone remember that the Marines showed the no action alternative at the public
meetings? Didn't think so.
Wednesday at 2:48pm
showed NO, we had to ask one of the "contractors" that was running the presentation, then the “not in
best interests” spiel began.
Wednesday at 8:33pm
Kurt Schneider to Helen on Facebook:
Did anyone challenge the need for 3 MEBs to train? There is a new force structure.
Wednesday at 2:53pm · Like ·
Helen Baker: Yes, I believe so, also challenged aversion to train with other services.
Helen: The public has finished speaking, now it's the Commissioners’ turn. I hope that I'm not
disappointed.
Wednesday at 3:09pm
Helen: Was watching Capt. Mannweiler during the public comment period..... Smirking doesn't look good
in a Marine uniform..... Memo to Mannweiler, we've just begun to fight!!!
Wednesday at 3:13pm
Helen: The comment period may end tomorrow, BUT, we will never stop commenting!!!!!!!
Wednesday at 3:16pm
Helen: Can you believe it????? The Marines needed Harry Baker to explain where the Hammers were?
Oh puuuulllleeeaaasseee. Harry had to take the mike during Proudfoot's presentation and explain Johnson
Valley landmarks.
Wednesday at 3:18pm
One Commissioner says taking this land away would have a huge impact on society. Ya think????
Wednesday at 3:23pm
Helen: Sorry guys, I don't see the Marines backing off or swerving from the course that they're on. We
must be ever vigilant. They are focused, but so were the people who looked at the Hartwell Hills and saw
the Hammers, when everyone else just saw piles of rocks.
Wednesday at 3:27pm
Commissioners are grilling them. Thank you Chairman Lueder for giving the public a chance to talk first,
and it seems, you listened to us.
Wednesday at 3:29pm
Now Mannweiler is saying that everything that the Marines use is different from every other service so
they can't train together. I guess that equates to, "Doesn't play well with others"
Wednesday at 3:34pm
You go, Commissioner Franklin. He told Mannweiler, "all the stuff you're telling us is your problem, not
ours"
Wednesday at 3:36pm
Kurt Schneider to Helen on Facebook:
Anyone request an extension on the public comment period?
Wednesday at 3:36pm · Like ·
Helen: Pretty much everyone!!!!
Wednesday at 3:37pm
Helen: The green Commissioner is now speaking. He asked if it was fiscally prudent to continue with this
plan with so many people saying that we are cutting our defense budget? Proudfoot answered, that's not
up to us, we have a charter to do this. The Commissioner stated further, I understand your position in the
hierarchy, and this is not your decision, but I believe that this expansion would be a mistake.
Wednesday at 3:42pm
Next Commissioner said, it sounds like you're planning to train for a war that we're no longer fighting.
Wednesday at 3:43pm
Commissioners say that Marines have not adequately looked at the economic issues. And, that the other
alternatives were not adequately studied either.
Wednesday at 3:47pm
Commissioner Perez, said that personally she is opposed to the expansion. Thank you, Diana. Commissioners
rarely take strong stands like this at a meeting. You go Girl
Wednesday at 3:49pm
Commissioner Woodard said that he thinks that the Marines seem to be doing a pretty good job as it is, so
he doesn't understand why they need to expand. “I'm having a real hard time with any of the alternatives,
except No Action, especially after being out there yesterday.”
Wednesday at 3:52pm
Daphne Greene, Deputy Director of the California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission,
said that the Marines pride themselves on their accuracy, but they don't seem to be able to tell us what 2
months of the year JV would be open. Mr. Proudfoot, can you explain that?
Wednesday at 3:57pm
You guys would love this, the Marines are under attack.
Wednesday at 3:58pm
So far, it’s unanimous, no one in the room, audience or Commissioners support the expansion.
Wednesday at 3:59pm
Daphne Greene: If as you say in your literature, you are only using 40% of the existing base why can't
you be creative and use the existing base?
Wednesday at 4:01pm
Daphne Greene has Proudfoot on the run.
Wednesday at 4:02pm
The OHMVR Commission voted unanimously to OPPOSE all expansion of the 29 Palms Marine
Base. To say that the Marines were surprised by this outcome is an understatement.
Wednesday at 4:20pm · Like ·
Helen Baker: The Commission's decision can directly be attributed to the folks on the tour yesterday and
the folks who spoke today. You put a face on our recreation, our community and the economy. Good on
ya all.
Wednesday at 4:23pm

Later postings by Helen on Pirate 4x4.com:

The bottom line is that the Marines DID NOT present a compelling argument to the Off Highway
Commission and the public speakers DID!

The Marines argument was so bad that the commissioners didn't even believe that they needed to expand
at all, let alone into Johnson Valley. This was definitely not what the Marines were expecting to happen.

Again, we have not won the war, but we did win an important battle as this is the first state government
commission to come out on our side.

Quote from message concerning Helen’s comment:

Pirate poster: as noted above, im sure this is only temporary, as the gubment will take what they want eventually.

Reply from Helen:
Call me naive, or maybe I'm just plain stubborn, BUT, I do not accept that premise.
I will keep working to save Johnson Valley until they scrape the last grain of sand out from under my
fingernails.

To those of you who may not remember, Helen and Harry Baker are very active in the California
Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs (YouTube - ‪Save Johnson Valley from USMC expansion‬‏) as well as many other organizations.

When the news first came out of the Marines’ planned takeover of Johnson Valley, they joined
with others to form the Partnership for Johnson Valley, collected facts and figures to counteract the
BLM’s lack of information on the amount of usage that Johnson Valley sees. They became involved with
local residents and researched the economic hit that our communities near the Base would suffer, plus the
loss of property and sales tax revenues if the OHV visitors were turned away.
They hosted focus groups at the Johnson Valley Community Center to demonstrate to the Marines
that people really live here, and though we support the Marines in their fights, we could not agree with
the notion that the Base must expand.
We owe a lot to the Bakers, and all the friends we have made that they recruited to our cause.

Betty Munson

#67 ·
Is anyone else going to the BLM DAC meeting in San Diego on Saturday?
Location is Handlery Hotel, 950 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA
Wear your off-road shirt and hat.
Thats right after the report about the Cal OHV commision.
Respectfully ask the DAC to take a stand on the Marine expansion.
Ask them to request a extension of the comment period.

#71 ·
I really am glad to hear this. I don't live near JV, but having sent in countless letters, and hearing about all the work that everyone has done to help, I really feel that we have a chance at saving it. Please keep all of us out-of-state guys posted on what we can do to continue to help, I can't wait to get out there next year for KOH again.

-Nikolai

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.