Pirate 4x4 banner

ASHMAN's Jimmy's4x4 2011 Podium Promod Grand Cherokee Buggy

176K views 430 replies 127 participants last post by  ashmanjeepXJ 
#1 ·
Im having Randy at Jimmy's 4x4 build me a Podium Promod rock racer. Its time to retire my old home built Cherokee XJ based buggy for a new lighter smaller chassis. I really wanted to continue building my own and build a from scratch chassis but Im in a temporary housing situation with no shop. Randy kicks out many badass rigs and was my top pic for builders.

The rig will be used for the Arizona trails mostly but we got the itch Judging for WErock and competing in sportsmans class in April. Goals for the rig are to kick ass on the AZ climbs, meet the Werock promod rules and meet the KOH/Ultra4 rules.

Specs:
2011 Jimmy's 4x4 podium promod chassis
1.75in DOM tube 48in wide
110in wheelbase
Twisted customs grand Cherokee hood
LQ4 with LS1 or LS6 intake, estimated 410hp
Th400
Atlas 4 speed
D60 front, alloys, bobby long flanges(pirate give away), upgraded outers, highsteer double ended PSC.
Shaved 14bolt rear
ARBs
Cutting brakes
Trail ready HD 17in beadlocks and 42in Pitbulls for trail riding and plan to get some babby BFGs37s for some race/comps.

My buddie Jeff at Ballistic gave me a partial sponsorship hookup on shocks: Front 14in 2.5in remote reservoir coil-overs and 14in 2.5 three tube bypasses, Rear 16in 2.5 remote reservoir coil-overs and 16in 2.5 three tube bypasses.

The Chassis is about 75% complete.
Randy will be updating the photobucket with build pics.
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/RODDZOMBIE/2-1st-175 PM-Tucson Dave/

Ballistic 14bolt shave complete.

Twisted Customs Grand Cherokee fiberglass hood mocked up.

Front of chassis

Rear of chassis

See less See more
#9 ·
X2, except the best part is, he won't be able to use the rig as an excuse anymore!:laughing:

#15 · (Edited)
Were waiting on afew parts needed to continue the build.
The Ballistic shocks http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ will be ready for pickup July 11ish.

The 16th Ill be driving up to Colorado to drop off the shocks and other parts at Jimmys and will be towing my old Cherokee buggy to the new owner Nick who will meet me at the Jimmy's shop.

I bought a SWAG action packer mount http://www.swagoffroad.com/ and mailed it to Randy for fitment. We think putting the radiator up high behind the seats with a wide skinny 22 gal fuel cell below it will fit best and leave room for action packer and cooler.

I modified the SWAG action packer mount, cut 1/4in ish off the top of the bottom bracket so the red handles can open wide enough to take the lid off without pulling the action packer out.

Attachments

#18 ·
Our planned date of the 16th is changing, Randy has a race that weekend. The shocks are due early next week.

Yea I will be keeping the new trail ready wheels and Pitbull tires from the jeep.

We got some more parts in and Randy put up some updated pictures.
1410 flanges for the 14Bolt, D60 and Altas outputs. Ive broke yokes from rock grinding, with these flanges I should not need a 14Bolt pinion guard and will hold up better to rock grinding.

14Bolt ring gear turned down for the shave with ARB installed. 5.38 gears for now.

D60 with Upgraded outer knuckles and Jimmy's high steer arms.

D60 suspension brackets

Chassis side lower link tabs

#21 ·
The LQ4 6.0 with an LS1 intake turned around rear facing. Will be using the stock exhaust manifolds for now and all internals will be stock.

The TH400 will have a trans go shift kit but will be the regular auto valve body for now. has a 2200 stall torque converter with anti balloon plate.
Atlas 4 speed

The grill was glassed in with the hood

It will have a removable front bumper to meet WEROCK rules

#23 · (Edited)
Yea, its an 86, BOM# 610255, inner axles are 36.68in and 15.96in
The stock SRW 14bolt has 31.5in and 37.5in shafts from the inside of the flange to the end of the splines.
Im excited to have that axle over the almost centered 78-79 axle I had on the jeep. The Offset center and high steer are gonna make it much easier to dive.

#29 ·
looking good Dave.
Why did you put the lower link mount on the cast and not trim it back a touch and get it on tube? With that truss / links there is still plenty of material in the cast... Just curious.... If you need any axle parts shoot me a text / call

What color you painting it?

#30 · (Edited)
Randy said they weld the link mounts to the casting on ford/chevy/dodge and aftermarket Currie, Tera, Dynatrac d60s. They haven't had a failure yet.

I want to keep the same green theme since Im keeping it cherokee.
Might do a wrap on the fiberglass, and run plain aluminum skins and lexan sides for trail wheelin. Black tubing but wont be powder coated. Was looking at the camaro lime green to brighten it up from the Italian olive drab green I had on the jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.