MAJOR tie rod install issue...HELP - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
Just did my drag link for my axle. Lubed the hell out of the threads with anti sieze and installed the heim. Tacked the insert in three spots and then went back and welded it up in one pass. Once welding complete, immediately dunked in bucket of water until the water stopped bubbling and could touch the insert. No problems with threading the heim in or out.

Used heims and inserts from RuffStuff.
you were lucky.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmaniaccuda View Post
Did you burn the whole thing on in one pass?

I've done 7/8 inserts into 1" ID tubing successfully without a tap.

I do 3-4 1" beads at a time though and let the thing cool throroughly inbetween.
It's a threaded insert, it ain't a piece of art, buy some taps and quit that goofy welding technique.

Quote:
No need for a tap.
No need until there is. All you gotta do is stick one expensive TRE or Rod End in a threaded insert, spend a couple of hours trying to salvage it before you start over with new parts and a couple of taps is cheap insurance.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
you were lucky.
Were you going to tell him that dropping hot welded parts into a bucket of water likely ain't the smartest thing to do with steering parts?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
Stop using weld in inserts and drill/tap the rod. I still have not seen any insert that has struck me as a good idea. Either get the right id/od material or just drill and tap.

Never liked em.
Great idea, all you gotta do now is teach me how to do that by hand. I've got some 1 1/4-12 into some lower links we can start with.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Were you going to tell him that dropping hot welded parts into a bucket of water likely ain't the smartest thing to do with steering parts?
Good point. I missed that.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Quote:
you were lucky.
Quote:
Quote:
Good point. I missed that.
No worries, was informed of this way by a few of the guys I wheel with, that are also on here, and that is what they suggested Seems to be fine. I'll run it and when it fails you guys can tell me you told me so.

Last edited by jtaco1; 03-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
jtaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 43526
Send a message via AIM to 71BRONCO71
I never thought of using an old TRE as a tap. I';m going to use that idea if that ever happens to me. Thanks Dan

I don't have much input but your TIGs are DAM NICE! I would say just cut the insert out but that weld is to nice to simply get rid of it.

I always use anti seize with the tre threaded into the insert and weld in two 4 passes. (inner weld both sides, finish weld two sides) I always turn the TRE to make sure the insert doesn't get warped. But I'm using a MIG.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Great idea, all you gotta do now is teach me how to do that by hand. I've got some 1 1/4-12 into some lower links we can start with.
Well the owner of the steering is currently paying someone to weld them in since he cant do it himself, so he could have just as easily paid someone to drill and tap them.

Hell esp on a site like this. Tons of access to a lathe. You can even do it with just a bridgeport with a bit of thinking.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #34 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 121563
Quote:
It's a threaded insert, it ain't a piece of art, buy some taps and quit that goofy welding technique.
I didn't realize having patience was an art

Quote:
No need until there is. All you gotta do is stick one expensive TRE or Rod End in a threaded insert, spend a couple of hours trying to salvage it before you start over with new parts and a couple of taps is cheap insurance.
I'll let you know if that happens.

Until then continue to be bothered by the fact I don't use taps for this
moparmaniaccuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
Quote:
No worries, was informed of this way by a few of the guys I wheel with, that are also on here, and that is what they suggested Seems to be fine. I'll run it and when it fails you guys can tell me you told me so.
It's just that cooling a welded part like that can undesirable results.

From Wikipedia (because I was in a hurry)

"Extremely rapid cooling can prevent the formation of all crystal structure, resulting in amorphous metal or 'metallic glass'."

Further research found the following:

"Benefits of heat treating"

I'll quote from that article:

Martensite Formation & Tempering

When austenite is rapidly cooled (i.e. quenched) to room temperature, an unexpected phase transformation can occur. Instead of forming ferrite and pearlite or cementite and pearlite, austenite can transform to martensite, a highly stressed body-centered-tetragonal (BCT) phase. This reaction is not diffusion-controlled but rather takes place by a shear-type transformation and is only a function of temperature and not time. The result is a very hard but brittle microstructure. The hardness of the martensite depends on the carbon content of the austenite. The martensite and the austenite it came from have the same chemical composition.

Basically, when you cool a recently welded part that rapidly, you drastically increase the chances of creating a brittle weld.
Brittle welds in a steering component are especially bad.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
the freeak - I appreciate that you provided the above information instead of just telling me I'm a dumbass, eventhough I may be

So lets say that I did cause a brittle weld. Anyway to verify in a home based shop, other than say x-ray? Or just wait for it to boom at the shittiest time on the trail

The welds look just like the other welds I have made before?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
the freeak - I appreciate that you provided the above information instead of just telling me I'm a dumbass, eventhough I may be

So lets say that I did cause a brittle weld. Anyway to verify in a home based shop, other than say x-ray? Or just wait for it to boom at the shittiest time on the trail

Some stock pitman arms are forgings. It used to be common for me to tell folks how I heat and bend them to flatten them or change angle. Then one day someone who had done what I told him got back to me and said that after he got it installed, he took it out in front of his house and ran up the curb with it. The pitman arm snapped in half. I asked him if he dropped it in a bucket of water to cool it off and he said he had.

I no longer tell folks how to bend pitman arms because it never occurred to me that someone would do that.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Well the owner of the steering is currently paying someone to weld them in since he cant do it himself, so he could have just as easily paid someone to drill and tap them.

Hell esp on a site like this. Tons of access to a lathe. You can even do it with just a bridgeport with a bit of thinking.
In the meantime, it's easy and very effective to weld in threaded tube adapters and go have fun. My closest access to a lathe big enough to thread 1 1/4" is at least 50 miles and I have to drop it off, wait until he gets to it and then go get it.

Don't get me wrong, I do have some stuff threaded and split, but only when tube OD is an issue.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmaniaccuda View Post

Until then continue to be bothered by the fact I don't use taps for this
And you can be bothered by the fact that I own right and left taps from 1/2-20 to 1 1/4-12 including 7/8-18 and 24mm x 1.0 for some metric stuff.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Quote:

Sounds like someone else is familiar with moving the column and hanging parts off the table.
mechanicalmongoose20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
make sure the TRE are not bent
MOOGs are really bad for having bent shanks new outa the box
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
In the meantime, it's easy and very effective to weld in threaded tube adapters and go have fun. My closest access to a lathe big enough to thread 1 1/4" is at least 50 miles and I have to drop it off, wait until he gets to it and then go get it.

Don't get me wrong, I do have some stuff threaded and split, but only when tube OD is an issue.
Well its a shame your on the wrong side of the states, because I would do it for you for the price of beer, if nothing else for the years of assumement I have enjoyed from your posts

Yes I get the point, and I KNOW you do. But end of the day its kinda like those tie down points that say 'do not weld' its not because they can not be welded on, but because "you" shouldnt...

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #43 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
Quote:

I don't know.

I would GUESS that if they haven't broken YET, that you MIGHT be ok.

If it's trail only, I'd run it, but if you drive it on the street, swap it out.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Yeah it is trail only and the axle isn't even under my rig yet
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #45 (permalink)
Wheel Nekkid!

Member # 112595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmongoose20 View Post
Sounds like someone else is familiar with moving the column and hanging parts off the table.

1"x8"x16" plate, 8" 3 jaw chuck.... Swing the head over, indicate once and do as many links as you want.....
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 80653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano38685 View Post
1"x8"x16" plate, 8" 3 jaw chuck.... Swing the head over, indicate once and do as many links as you want.....
I havenít had my lathe/mill machine very long, and I am trying to picture what you are describing, so I can do it too.
Could you maybe show a pic for us inexperienced folks?
What is the plate for?
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
I think you mount the chuck to the plate, and hang it over the edge of the table.