offshore oil guys: can you swim? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 50333
I suggest you google floatation devices, problem solved..
85-m1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hef

Member # 11907
Send a message via AIM to Hef
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85-m1028 View Post
I suggest you google floatation devices, problem solved..
Good idea.

I have some swimmies I can ship you. My daughter has grown out of them.
State schooling is not about education, but about the state. Gun control is not about guns, its about control. A citizen who can fend for himself when the predators come or the schools fail is less inclined to look to the state for sustenance and oversight in other areas of life.
Hef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 86685
A manager at a marine construction company told me some of his guys couldn't swim. I was wondering the same thing.

This baffles me how adults can't swim.
s10er8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 3935
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10er8 View Post
A manager at a marine construction company told me some of his guys couldn't swim. I was wondering the same thing.

This baffles me how adults can't swim.
Just want to say...How 'bout Them Dawgs!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 40793
Send a message via AIM to Nightshade Send a message via MSN to Nightshade Send a message via Yahoo to Nightshade
Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 86685
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
Just want to say...How 'bout Them Dawgs!
They forgot how to swim
s10er8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 7579
Send a message via AIM to stRanger
I'm not the best swimmer in the world by any means... I make sure people know it if I get out on the water, I'm atleast smart enough to do that... I learned how when I was much younger and was quite good at it.. Well sometime between then and now I've lost the ability to float.. I sink like a freakin rock... SERIOUSLY.. And somewhere in those years I developed a little claustrophobia and when my head gets submerged I get claustrophobic and panic a bit... Very odd and sucks.. But, I am doing my best to work on it..
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
but, i havent been in the water in maybe ---- 20 years-----------------------
I'm thinking that shower is past due,...

Blow big bubbles,...

Blowing bubbles in the pool - YouTube

Last edited by rocket flier; 09-04-2011 at 11:29 AM.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Good idea.

I have some swimmies I can ship you. My daughter has grown out of them.

have some. they're Lightning McQueen ones I stole from the kids. They're also just the right size for a beer.

Oh, I finally answered your e-mail.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by stRanger View Post
I'm not the best swimmer in the world by any means... I make sure people know it if I get out on the water, I'm atleast smart enough to do that... I learned how when I was much younger and was quite good at it.. Well sometime between then and now I've lost the ability to float.. I sink like a freakin rock... SERIOUSLY.. And somewhere in those years I developed a little claustrophobia and when my head gets submerged I get claustrophobic and panic a bit... Very odd and sucks.. But, I am doing my best to work on it..
This isn't about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket flier View Post
I'm thinking that shower is past due,...
but then he wouldn't be Krusty anymore.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holocene View Post
Employees are expendable.
Fuck off, troll. Only if you worked out here, would one person be expendable.

I've seen plenty of grown ass men who can't swim. They still pass HUET. HUET is nothing but a flotation practice with a slow motion helicoptor water landing and inversion.

Jumping off is not necessary, but most places have access ladders, stairs, etc to get you close to the water. The lowest point out here is 80 ft. off the water before you can get to the egress stairs, but I don't have any reservations about jumping. You're basically looking at the bottom deck though, most people wouldn't think about going to the hulls if jumping was a last resort. We have life preservers staged all over the bottom deck, which is about 100 ft. off the water. Swimming isn't a requirement, basic knowledge of survival is.

Why would you want to swim? All the things with teeth swim faster anyway... The access ladders would be kinda hard to get to unless you were already up current of them, so you probably got a 50/50 chance. Sea swells over 4 ft and a man that's fully dressed would be running on pure adrenaline trying to get back to the platform.

No one works over water alone. No one works over water without 100% tie off and a work vest (PFD). We have several means of retrieveing someone if they are stupid enough to fall over. Fast Rescue Craft, boats in the field, lifeboats...

In the event of an emergency, single person water entries are only a last resort, the end. You get your ass to a lifeboat, muster, get in, strap in, stfu, and get ready to unass the facility. On our platform, primary and alternative lifeboats are on the other side of blast walls, and not that it'd be fun, but it's a little safer than standing exposed.

But yes, I can swim.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 41250
thanks jettscott, that answers the point I was wondering.

I mean, I know you can't "swim to shore", but I did wonder what the guys do if there was a fall or an emergency. I didn't know about the boats either
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj8 View Post
Non swimmers, this will save YOUR life:

Drown Proofing Technique - YouTube
I learned this as "dead man's float". This plus treading water are the two essentials of water survival.

There seem to be several versions of treading water videos on youtube, this is about the simplest way.
Torpedo - "How to tread water" - A G.I. Joe PSA - YouTube
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Hey man, I know what you're dealing with. I've had some gnarly hold unders in heavy surf, and I get the whole almost drowned bit, but you seriously need to get in the water again.

Look, I know it's freaking you out, but you wouldn't have posted up on this forum if you weren't looking for help on this deal. You're working on a rig, you don't want to die, so you're looking for solutions.

Get in the pool. Start in the shallow end. Wade around for a day or two. Get comfortable. Don't feel the need to get crazy in the deep end. Kick around and get used to the water for awhile. Try paddling with your face out of the water. Eventually you'll want to try kicking harder and putting your face in the water. Take your time. Take a mask and snorkel. Start tossing things on the bottom of the pool and take the time to retrieve them, start with 3' and go to 4', then 5'. Nothing beats time in the water for getting it dialed in.

You might even consider taking a SCUBA class. Try the beginner class. They take guys with absolutely no experience and work with them. Tell them straight up what you do and your experience. Tell them you want to learn how to get in the water and not freak out. A good SCUBA program can work with you in a controlled environment, gear, and someone to walk you through things.

A lot of fear in the water comes from worrying about not having anyone to cover your back if things go sideways. If someone has your back, you should feel confident to try things out.

I worked with my kids on this. When my youngest was 9, he couldn't dive to the bottom of the deep end. I got him used to SCUBA gear in the shallow end, and he worked his way to the deep end. He learned how to let go of the regulator and swim to the surface in the deep end. Within a short time he was diving down to grab the mouthpiece and hang out on the bottom. This is a kid who wouldn't even go in the deep end a week prior. He could swim a bit, he just needed confidence. He's now almost 11, and he paddles a surfboard 200 meters out into open water on 4' days and gets absolutely worked in the surf break. He handles rips, undertows, and heavy currents now because he worked on his confidence issue and got the experience necessary to handle the challenge.

You can do this. You just need someone to have your back, and look out for you so you can progress to where you need to be. Too bad you don't live in NorCal. I'd make an abalone diver out of you within 6 months.

Last edited by White Shark; 09-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.
White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 42030
Send a message via AIM to fatexassk5
in some of those tides out in the gulf, knowing how to just "swim" wouldnt help you anyways....you're better off closing you're eyes, holding your breath and going with the flow.
fatexassk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 49424
I work for an oil company, though not in the way your talking, but..

We offload barges. We are not only required to wear life vests, we'd be fired if we didn't have them on. We also have life rings, a couple thousand feet of line, rescue basket, 22' boat, etc. We actually have a checklist of rescue equipment needed to perform the job, if any is missing, damaged, etc. we stop until it is repaired. I'd guess working the rigs/platforms would have to work in the same way. I see barge/ship/tug traffic almost daily and all operators are wearing life vests also.

Last edited by RickP; 09-04-2011 at 03:31 PM.
RickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 75208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettscott View Post
Fuck off, troll. Only if you worked out here, would one person be expendable.
LoL, keep believing you're an important asset to these corporations. You fall off the rig and drown nobody but your family is going to care.

btw, I know I'm expendable where I work. I don't have to like it, but that's the way it is sometimes.
Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
Quote:
LoL, keep believing you're an important asset to these corporations. You fall off the rig and drown nobody but your family is going to care.

btw, I know I'm expendable where I work. I don't have to like it, but that's the way it is sometimes.
This isn't the 1800's any more. A fatality in today's world means a week of 3rd party inspections, inquiries, monetary payouts to your family and insurance that are more than you get paid in a few years, legal fees for impending lawsuits, emergency response bills, etc. Plus they need to pay to hire/train someone else and get them out to the work site. You might not be listed on their corporate website, but your life IS important to them, if only monetarily. the OSHA/MSHA fines and shutdowns alone keep them wary of their employees' safety. Ask me how I know.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #44 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJVigilante View Post
This isn't the 1800's any more. A fatality in today's world means a week of 3rd party inspections, inquiries, monetary payouts to your family and insurance that are more than you get paid in a few years, legal fees for impending lawsuits, emergency response bills, etc. Plus they need to pay to hire/train someone else and get them out to the work site. You might not be listed on their corporate website, but your life IS important to them, if only monetarily. the OSHA/MSHA fines and shutdowns alone keep them wary of their employees' safety. Ask me how I know.
You're trying to talk logic to the Holotard? Hope you're persistant in your argument.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 41250
yeah, WTHell is going on?!?!?! I'm agreeing with tjvag twice today. It's like he started making sense or someth......

Oh, God, I've turned retarded.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Lots of people get freaked out in deep water. Both of my kids learned to swim at a very young age (as soon as they were out of diapers). I did not learn to swim until I was 12 and missed out on lots of fun as a youngster.

My son and daughter played water polo and were on swim teams starting in about the 6th grade.

My son went on to play water polo in junior college and was the rescue swimmer on his 110' patrol boat in the NAG while he was in the Coast Guard.

My daughter got her college paid for on a water polo scholarship.

Both kids are good surfers. Neither one of them is in their comfort zone in the middle of a lake or out in the ocean.

My wife could care less, she is a water baby, me, I do alright just about anywhere except cold fast moving water that we practice swiftwater rescue in. The cold water takes your breath away pretty fast and you have to concentrate to stop your diaphram from starting to spasm.
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
yeah, WTHell is going on?!?!?! I'm agreeing with tjvag twice today. It's like he started making sense or someth......

Oh, God, I've turned retarded.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4cuz View Post
Neither one of them is in their comfort zone in the middle of a lake or out in the ocean.
I'm usually fine in those situations, but I have a problem going under water for long if I have to close my eyes.

The visibility can be less than the length of my arms, but if I've got on a pair of goggles I'm fine.

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 75208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJVigilante View Post
Maybe so, but the real impact of those factors depends on the size of the size of the corporation, and how profitable it is.

BP lost over 37 billion dollars due to expenses related the Deepwater Horizon spill, which killed 11 workers (the least of their monetary concerns).

Despite this huge loss, the company maintained profits throughout each succesive quarter. Certainly not record profits, but profits nonetheless.

The hypothetical death of a single man? Swept under the rug and forgotten about overnight.
Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 64421
Quote:
Of course you are. Burrito assembly technicians at taco bell are pretty easy to come by, people with real skills, not so much.
TheRedHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote