Thinking about selling firewood.. Anyone do this? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Question Thinking about selling firewood.. Anyone do this?

Ok I'm sitting here applying to company after company in a attempt to out apply everyone in the CONUS who hears about a job in my area, also applying to trucking companys to go over the road something I really dont want to do for a living but will if I have to.

Then I started thinking about ways to make money from home and looking around the property I see plenty of trees, hardwoods not pine, yet due to local issues with major tree downings we have been left with alot of perfectly free fire wood in my local area. This is the major downside I see but hey they say a there is a buyer for everything right, well one wont due I need multiple that I already know.

So here is what I'm going over in my head I have two good four wheel drive trucks for getting wood to market one a half ton truck the other a three quarter ton. I have a perfectly new Husky chainsaw I got from Tractor Supply I know plenty of places I can pull the fire wood from so I wouldnt have to use my property and a few trees I want to drop for future plans on the property. All I need is a a good bar,an axe, and a desire to put money on the table by splitting wood the hard way via two good arms and a strong back, the later I got two.

Now in our area either the older fixed income or lower income folks heat with wood or the yuppie who bought a cabin in the woods for rustic charm, none if which I have a problem with I just want to make a buck.

So what I'm asking is how would I best price my wood, at what price, to cover cost of getting the firewood to them while still making a decent amount of money for my tiime invested?

I see people selling 100.00 ricks of wood on a pallet and 45.00 ricks from home. I would sell mostly from my yard with good roadage, print off adds in local places where I could attract buyers, and by word.

What is the average rick going for in the South, or where you live?

If your doing this how much do you walk away with on average after factoring in costs?

Also how long did it take to build a good and stable customer base I'm looking to do this for years on in a effort to help raise money for trail rigs, hunting but first and foremost to put food on the table, shoes on feet, and clothes on backs?

How much would it cost to get a permit for taking trees on goverment aka public lands?

Also do you just use a truck or a truck and trailer combo to make the most of every haul?

Any tips would be appricated not really in the mood for bs today yall thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Who stole my title?

Member # 70825
I would figure out how to sell it to city folk neatly wrapped in plastic for $2 a stick. Whoever first figured out how to do that was a genius.

Last edited by void_of_light; 11-17-2011 at 11:57 AM.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
can divide by 0

Member # 101654
By rick I assume you mean face cord since the term "rick" isn't quantitative. Around our area you can sell a face cord for $50-$60. Now face cord is also not really quantitative since a 12" face cord is 1/4 cord, 16" is 1/3 cord, and 24" is 1/2 cord. When we do it generally we cut 16" face cords.

Also if you were doing it as a job you would want a truck and trailer full. Should be doable in an 8-10 hr day.

We have only ever cut wood as a way to raise money for local charities, not profit seeking.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9419
WTF is a "rick"?

Where I live seasoned hardwood is prolly at least $250 a cord, delivered (but not stacked).
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 163829
I got a rick delivered and stacked for $55
ls0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
I would figure out how to sell it to city folk neatly wrapped in plastic for $2 a stick. Whoever first figured out how to do that was a genius.
I have seen it going for around $5.00 a pop at the gas stations your right on who figired that one out which I did figure that I could sell small bundles to hunters who come up here in thier campers at like $4.00 a pop.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 140312
Wood is about $250 a cord or $125 a rick (1/2 cord).

I think you'll find it hard to make a buck splitting by hand.

There may be free wood out there, but quite a few people don't want to do all the work that's involved with cutting splitting and hauling firewood. There should be a market for decent seasoned hardwood.

Best of luck.

I feel like a broken record, but saws and firewood are coming up alot lately.
Here's some light reading.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood...ing-equipment/
sometoyotaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfitter540 View Post
We have only ever cut wood as a way to raise money for local charities, not profit seeking.
I sure wouldn't want to be trying to turn a profit splitting by hand, either.

Or with any brand of homeowner grade saw, if that's what TSC sells... I think they sell good Huskies too though.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13205
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
Thought that very same thing each time I walk into a local grocery.

Five, 18" sticks wrapped in cellophane for $5.99. Pure genius.

Around here hardwoods going for $90/truckload or $160/cord delivered,
NOT stacked. Like many here, I cut/split/stack for our own use.

Although a single guy might survive doing it, I don't think a guy could
support a family on it. I have plans to do it once retired, just for something
to do and a little pocket monies.

If you've got some fab skills, make yourself a log splitter. Cheaper than buying
one, and seriously, if you start splitting enough to make a living, you're going
to be one wore out fawker later in life, swinging an axe/maul.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Quote:
Originally Posted by locotaco85 View Post
I sure wouldn't want to be trying to turn a profit splitting by hand, either.

Or with any brand of homeowner grade saw, if that's what TSC sells... I think they sell good Huskies too though.
I have done it buy hand to heat two homes I have lived in the past and used to help my grandfather split his wood in my early teens, no not easy but I much rather do hard labor than make my family have to go apply for any form of govement aid...

Same Husky I my boss used to remove fallen trees from clients homes or propertys I used to be a Stihl man but after using the Husky I was sold, yeah those home owner brands do suck I ran circles around my friends Homelite or whatever the heck it was witrh my old Stihl...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79broncn View Post

Although a single guy might survive doing it, I don't think a guy could
support a family on it. I have plans to do it once retired, just for something
to do and a little pocket monies.

If you've got some fab skills, make yourself a log splitter. Cheaper than buying
one, and seriously, if you start splitting enough to make a living, you're going
to be one wore out fawker later in life, swinging an axe/maul.
Not planning on totally using that as a job just a side job to do seasonally I guess I should have stated that first get and split it let it dry then haul it off to market, one job wont work for me year round and fall and winter are the slow times in my job when folks need heat.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9419
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightkrawler View Post
I have done it buy hand to heat two homes I have lived in the past and used to help my grandfather split his wood in my early teens, no not easy but I much rather do hard labor than make my family have to go apply for any form of govement aid...

Same Husky I my boss used to remove fallen trees from clients homes or propertys I used to be a Stihl man but after using the Husky I was sold, yeah those home owner brands do suck I ran circles around my friends Homelite or whatever the heck it was witrh my old Stihl...
That sure is an interesting grammatical train-wreck.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzooki View Post
Yeah I was always first out in the spelling bee and got lots of red marks in english class
Old 11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzooki View Post
It's grammatical paragraphs such as his that makes the womens wet.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 179963
But you can get to the dumb girls first by self elemination from the line and have fun
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79broncn View Post
It's grammatical paragraphs such as his that makes the womens wet.
What??? Maybe I was always after the english teacher types so I learned how to make really nice, tight prose, but if you're right, this rambling endless quagmire of nouns verbs adjectives adverbs pronouns and all that stuff, ought to have wimmin just panting for more of my awesomeness. And paragraphs? Well you can forget about that silly stuff if your prediction is even slightly correct because I can really bend up a horrible paragraph free cloud of words in almost no time like my buddy Greg used to say...well I can't actually remember what my buddy Greg used to say, because I was always too busy talking and not listening but that just proves what a manly man I am right? I mean listening is for chicks and fags and people that think grammar is important and not just your mother's mother or something, OK?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Wow only on pirate can a firewood related topic go to word use then nailing english teachers
Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 9419
Quote:
Wow only on pirate can a firewood related topic go to word use then nailing english teachers
It's Pirate. Eventually every thread breaks down to sex, drugs, or peeing in somebodys butt.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Runner? What runner?

Member # 946
Send a message via AIM to 4runner
We did that for several years, built up a client list and did pretty well...added a few each year, rarely lost any. We cut trees around the fields to provide tractor clearance and than a few trails along the creeks for access or fencelines.
Oak, pecan, chinaberry, and a couple others, mixed it up.

Logsplitter on three point on back of tractor meant we had a way to pull trees to where we planned to cut them, split them, load onto truck and trailer. Sometimes, two ricks on bed of pickup and third into two wheel trailer...other times load down wheat truck with up to 15 ricks. We delivered and stacked so a wheelbarrow was in order. Had to turn away several people every year as we were always busy cutting during the winter.

Not sure if a single person could make enuff to survive, but it is possible.

Had a friend make several trips to Midland/Odessa with his flatbed semi loaded to the max and sell for $250/rick...there is a reason they call it NO-TREE Texas.

For us, it was a family thing, everyone got involved and we worked Saturdays cutting firewood dawn to dusk, deliverd on Sunday afternoons.

When we quit several years ago, we were charging $55/rick delivered and stacked.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
Quote:

yeah, just thinking it may pay for itself in short order to get a splitter, even if it's gotta be on the cheap. I can't imagine splitting enough wood by hand to be paying the bills without putting a real hurtin' on the body. And hard use can put a quick end to any homeowner saw, Husky, Stihl, or otherwise. I imagine if you're considering overall economy, spending more for a lower-end "good" brand is probably worse than just buying cheap junk and killing it at least annually.

Last edited by locotaco85; 11-17-2011 at 02:02 PM.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 119455
Wood is selling for $135-$165 a cord Split and Delivered (not stacked) here in Colorado. But I'm sure the market is a hell of a lot better as is supply.

Team Beat Racing Member.......... RIP Bubby, sure going to miss him.
Member Name:.............Mr. Beat!

"Your doing the *&%$ dance" Bobson.

http://www.holycrosspowderhounds.com/
offroadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 198851
I heat with wood from my own property. You have to fell the trees,drag them out of the woods to the cutting and splitting area.Or cut and split in the woods and haul out,all the same.Then stack the wood .....Ok to sell it's the same thing only you need to sell it off the stacks you made,or deliver it,whatever.Consider the danger of felling trees,,using chainsaws,splitters,ATV and trailer,the cost of the equipment......And the labor.One guy working fast in perfect conditions can split maybe Two face cord an hour or hour and a half on a machine. Add to this the time to haul in the wood and so on......You're busting ass for 10 bucks an hour. It's a meager income if you have nothing else to do......
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
toyota hoarder

Member # 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adchevy4x4 View Post
i heat with wood from my own property. You have to fell the trees,drag them out of the woods to the cutting and splitting area.or cut and split in the woods and haul out,all the same.then stack the wood .....ok to sell it's the same thing only you need to sell it off the stacks you made,or deliver it,whatever.consider the danger of felling trees,,using chainsaws,splitters,atv and trailer,the cost of the equipment......and the labor.one guy working fast in perfect conditions can split maybe two face cord an hour or hour and a half on a machine. Add to this the time to haul in the wood and so on......you're busting ass for 10 bucks an hour. It's a meager income if you have nothing else to do......
word

Swedish American
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
I'm not reading all that shit you wrote so here's my experience.

never short a customer. if you give them an honest cord of wood you'll have more repeat business than you can stand. I stacked cords in my field and let people come by and pick out the cord they wanted. I did this for 1 year and then I ran out of trees. I still had people calling me 2 years later

never sell green wood or shitty wood. same as above. poplar is one that I always tell people about. that shit burns too fast.

I sold cords for $140 each. I split about 11 cords and sold them all after Christmas. It doesn't get cold here till then plus folks are saving money till after the holidays.

Figure that up and I made aroudn $1500 not including expenses. I maybe spent a couple hundred in gas, oil, chains, etc. but I think it was worth it. You just have to bust your ass to get it all stacked up.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Thanks McCracken