Ever drive past a place a zillion times... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Ever drive past a place a zillion times...

and find out some personal connection?

I live 200 miles from "home" and have for years. I've driven by one of the local cemeteries hundreds of times, but recently found out that my 11th Great Grandmother was buried there in 1691. I'm going to make a point of finding her grave, or at least trying to find it.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Send a message via AIM to APRILRAZZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER View Post
and find out some personal connection?

I live 200 miles from "home" and have for years. I've driven by one of the local cemeteries hundreds of times, but recently found out that my 11th Great Grandmother was buried there in 1691. I'm going to make a point of finding her grave, or at least trying to find it.
What cemetery?
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein
APRILRAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 84067
Look next to Toyota Jim.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRILRAZZ View Post
What cemetery?
St Pauls, the one with the cannon ball lodged in the wall.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143241
Very cool PD.
Jbevs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Quote:
St Pauls, the one with the cannon ball lodged in the wall.
The boy and I have been though there a few times. Pretty neat in there.
He found it when I gave him the task of finding buildings that the British didn't burn during the revolution.
Let me know if you find it or want some help.
Or try here
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GScid=641534
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Quote:
The boy and I have been though there a few times. Pretty neat in there.
He found it when I gave him the task of finding buildings that the British didn't burn during the revolution.
Let me know if you find it or want some help.
Or try here
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GScid=641534
No dice. Tell him to look up Mason's Hall in Richmond. There is a US Cav officer's sword that still hangs upstairs. It was given as a token of good will. The rest of the city was raised, but it remains to this day. It's the oldest Masonic building in the western hemisphere.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20728
Give mer her name and I can check for it on Monday. First day back to work after a month off.
Romogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 44662
I cruised by there this evening. No luck finding her grave, but man what a walk. The church was built in 1640 so there is almost 4 centuries of history there. The graves that remain are semi scattered; many headstones have been buried, half buried, moved, fallen over, or are cracked. Most are unreadable. I think the oldest ones were the ones that crumbled the most. I'm not sure what type of rock they are made from. I suspect that her grave has long ago been lost to time. I plan on contacting the Church to see if they have any records. I only found one grave that predated hers.

I'll post pics after dinner.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20728
I've walked through that place a few times. Just looking at the stones, some of the stain glass, and the masonry work is fantastic. Lots of history in that place.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Well the light was fading fast and I was on the move so the pics aren't stellar, but I think they convey the sense of the place.

First up, looking across the smaller part of the cemetery from the St Paul's St. side.

Two brethren, one a Past Master. I'd have to check the records, but I'd guess that he was Master of Norfolk #1, the oldest Lodge in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The other Brother was a doctor.

Speaker of the House of Delegates

War of 1812 Commemorative Plaque. There was one for the Revolutionary war as well but I didn't resize it. There was a Sons of the Revolution marker on a grave on the Market Street side of the grounds.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Scotland
Scotland again

Scotland and Ireland side by side, although opposite of geography.

Many of the stones are crumbling and are no longer recognizable. Some are totally unrecognizable.

Some are now laid against the brick walls that line the grounds.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Fancy tomb slab covering

It's near the tombs of the gentlemen from Ireland and Scotland

Here's one for a merchant

One from the other, larger, side of the grounds.

This tomb stone now hangs near an entrance to the Church. I don't know if it was engraved further on the bottom of the stone or not. I also do not know if the man was a Mason or not. The skull and cross bones is used symbolically by the Knights Templar to symbolize the immortality of the soul. Waxing less poetically, it also stands for dead, kaput, is no more.

Compliments of Lord Dunmore
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8227
That's cool that the grave is still around.
J-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 44662
These were the oldest graves that I found during my trip. The one is dated 1673 and is immediately next to the west wall of the Church. It's shown twice. It's in decent shape given its age and all the turmoil it's survived over the centuries. It predates my Great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, Grandmother's grave by nearly twenty years.

Here's a shot of a long ago destroyed grave stone dating from 179X. There are many like it on the grounds and around the walls.

Lastly here's an off angle shot (some tall sweaty guy was in the way) with a little info about the Church.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20728
I'll have to dig through my pictures from when I was there last. Got some pretty cool shots.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 11268
Very very cool! I love stuff like this.
ScottFJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Makes me want to jump on the train and head out there for a little while.
PD check with the church to see if she is mentioned anywhere.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
Those are pretty cool. There's a graveyard here right on the hwy in the woods with graves from the early 1800s, which isn't as cool, but they're from the first settlers in the area.

And to answer your question, yes, I have. I used to drive past a Fred Meyer all the time and always liked the design of the sign (from the 50s) but never went in. I did this for probably 10 years. Turned out when I met my baby mama she worked there. Weird...
JediJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Well in another twist of fate I walked right past her grave stone. I even looked at it and commented on it briefly. It was a bit like the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when they were looking for the Holy Grail, but in reverse.

I did a quick search online today and found a few things out. First she married and then remarried after being widowed. Her last name was Bacon. Yes Bacon. Her second husband (Col Bacon) was the first cousins with the Rebel for whom Bacon's castle is named. http://www.apva.org/BaconsCastle/

What's more interesting was that they owned the "Island House" located on 80 acres on Jamestown Island.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=17363

It is interesting to note that while her grave marker adorns the East side of the Church in Norfolk, her body lies at Kings Creek. Why it was moved is a mystery to me. At least at this point. I will have to research it further.

If the last name Kingsmill sounds familiar, think PGA tour and a stupidly ritzy neighborhood in Williamsburg VA. Oh yeah, John Hinkley lived there too.

This is from St Paul's website.

Did you know...

Ö that taking hostages and using them as human shields has been a practice around the world for centuries. It was practiced here in the Old Dominion for years during war times. In our very own churchyard is a large tombstone of a woman who was kidnaped and used as a human shield here in Virginia.
Affixed in an upright position to the inner East wall of our church is a rather large gray tombstone. This unusual tombstone, although broken in three sections, is English in origin bearing the elaborately carved Coat of Arms of the Taylor & Kingsmill family. Beneath the Coat of Arms is this inscription:
"Here lyeth the Body of Elizabeth wife of the Honorable Nathaniel Bacon, Esq. Who Departed his life the second day of November one thousand Six hundred ninety One in the Sixty Seventh years of her age."
The woman whose inscription is on this large tombstone was Elizabeth Kingsmill Bacon, born 1625, a daughter of Richard Kingsmill of James City County. Her first husband was William
Tayloe whom she married at the age of 15. After his death before 1676, she married Nathaniel Bacon, Sr., 1620-1690, of Kings Creek plantation in York County, VA. Nathaniel Bacon was president of the Virginia Council and acting governor of the colony. Most importantly he was the first cousin of Nathaniel Bacon, the rebel
How did this old tombstone get here? For what reason we really do not know. All we do know is that Rev. Nicholas Okeson, minister of St. Paulís from 1856-1882, happened to see this rather large old stone and had it transported to our cemetery. Unfortunately her body was left behind at Kings Creek.
During Bacon's rebellion in 1676, Governor Berkeley retook Jamestown Fort. However, Nathaniel Bacon, the rebel, decided to erect fortifications of his own; but before doing so he
decided to take a few important hostages to serve as temporary restraints if Gov. Berkeley decided to attack him.
Knowing that the governorís chief advisers were at Jamestown with him, he and his mounted troops stopped by their homes and kidnaped their spouses. One of the spouses was Mrs. Elizabeth Bacon from our tombstone in the yard. After rounding up the spouses, he sent one to Jamestown to inform Berkeley of the hostages that he had taken. These women were used as human shields. Baconís plan worked and after his fortifications were completed the women were set free. Gov. Berkeley was forced to abandon Jamestown and Bacon gave the orders to burn Jamestown down.
This was Nathaniel Bacon's final triumph, but he died shortly afterwards and was secretly buried. After Baconís untimely death, Gov. Berkeley seized power again as Virginiaís Royal Governor. Baconís followers were tried and hanged.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Never knew I was rubbing elbows to Virginia aristocracy (well infamy at least).
I knew the Lee's (the family now) but your family pre-dates them!

Last edited by APRILRAZZ; 12-05-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143241
Wow man. Just wow.
Jbevs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 44662
Quote:
Never knew I was rubbing elbows to Virginia aristocracy (well infamy at least).
I knew the Lee's (the family now) but your family pre-dates them!
Infamous...you do recall that I'm somehow kin to the Younger brothers right? It seems I come from an ill tempered lot, even if it is by marriage.

Were they Yankees back then?

George Griffin
Birth 1594 in Kethering, Northamptonshire, , England
Death 1610 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States

Dunno if I'll claim him or not.

Last edited by PONY_DRIVER; 12-05-2011 at 06:08 PM.
PONY_DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Quote:
Infamous...you do recall that I'm somehow kin to the Younger brothers right? It seems I come from an ill tempered lot, even if it is by marriage.

Were they Yankees back then?

George Griffin
Birth 1594 in Kethering, Northamptonshire, , England
Death 1610 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States

Dunno if I'll claim him or not.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 44662
So, check this out. Look at the last picture in post #12. Yep, that's it.

It seems it was moved from the East wall of the church to the wall. I went by the church today and asked for some assistance. The lady at the office opened a book said 'Oh yes, it's right here.' A gentleman from the church took me to a window and pointed it out to me. After thanking them I went down and took a few more pictures and left.

Here's a pic of the history book entry, and a few pics of the stone. The last one is a closeup of the Coat of Arms for the Taylor family (from her first husband).
Attached Images