Where to get used railroad spikes legally? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2634
Where to get used railroad spikes legally?

I would like to start making some projects out of old railroad spikes, however, I recently just learned they (along with everything else by the tracks) are illegal to pick up. Never really gave it any thought until someone reminded me about scrap value. Turns out the railroad is pretty protective about their scrap.

So how does one get some spikes legally?

I see lots on eBay, but I'm sure they are all stolen
Old 12-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50177
I can't help with the spikes but I wonder how they would feel about me recycling the 20' of track they left on some private property I have access to. It has got to weigh a metric shit ton. They used the property as a staging area when they were doing track maint. and they left behind all kinds of shit. sorry, I have only found a couple of the spikes like you are looking for and you cant have them.

www.MayhemMetalWorks.com

my buggy build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...e33fc&t=488938
am4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 86685
Probably is no way

new
http://www.bhamrail.com/spike/index.asp
s10er8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13268
I may know someone that can supply you with some legal ones.

Last edited by Motornoggin; 12-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 101630
Send a message via AIM to Xlain
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19857
I can check with my girl but I think shipping might kill........

Just asked and can probably get some new ones in a month or so but she can't get used cause they go for scrap ???

Last edited by Lawless; 12-03-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: just asked.......
Lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
I can check with my girl but I think shipping might kill........
If it fits it ships. Gotta love flat rate. In reality, I need like a hundred though.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 83430
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
It has got to weigh a metric shit ton.
80 lbs a foot.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 45160
Send a message via AIM to Gomer Send a message via MSN to Gomer Send a message via Yahoo to Gomer
There are foot paths through two small cities near me. They follow the old FJ&G Rail line and you can usually find spikes there. Anything like that near you?
Gomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
G_P

Member # 139985
I used to collect them as a kid from abandoned rail sidings and bridges I would find while out fishing.

If there are big chunks of track missing and it is covered in scaly rust then I would take the loose spikes. Even ran into the cops a few times and they never stopped me.

So what Im saying is try to find some abandoned track. Look near small rivers out in the woods as railroads seem to love abandoning bridges and leaving them to rot. Just dont fall off em!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 178897
I bought some at Home depot quite a few years ago.
Bigstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
If it's an abandoned rail line, I doubt the railroad is going to care.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 14620
I got mine from abandoned tracks.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 157046
All I know, is that there are at least two kinds, if you're gonna be heating them up to make a knife or hatchet, you want the ones marked HC which apparently is high carbon,

Oh, and what the hell are ya gonna do with 100
xmptsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 51984
Depends on how many you need. If its just little small projects to swing by a depot or yard if ones close by and ask the Trainmaster or Roadmaster. They will prob so no but I'll be at lunch from 12-1 and there is a big pile xxx and no body will miss a few.
The scrap yards will not buy rail, spikes, or tie plates. Well I say they won't, I go thru Atlanta and under the CNN building sometimes I'll see homeless guys toting 5 gallon buckets of old spikes.
I don't report folks, if it was me I'd just go walk along the tracks and pick them up, I see 10-15 people a day just walking down the tracks just messing around. If you walk an abandoned line something to look out for that's pretty cool to collect are date nails. It was a way the railroad kept up with what year the ties were put in or telephone poles put up. It's has the date stamped on the head.
250f4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 31873
Look in the phone book there should be a number for the local track supervisor Or a number to talk to someone that can give you the number. Talk to him and just ask for some.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 146572
The company I work for (GERDAU) is North Americas largest manufactor of railroad spikes.

The rail products is a diffrent division than the one I work in. I have never delt with that side of the business. I'll check when I'm back in the office and see if I can buy them internally.

2014 Missing Link Fabrication Buggy- In the Works
2014 JKU
2010 Ram 6.7 CTD
2010 RZR S
MR. HOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 29913
Home | Sitemap | Contact

About JDI
About Jim Dobbas, Inc.
Antelope Facility
Newcastle Facility
PartnersServices
Emergency Response
Derailment Response
Demolition
Ditching
Transloading
Certified WeighmasterParts & Materials
Railcar Bridges
Recycled Railroad Ties and Timbers
Railcar Parts
Track Materials

FLATCARS AS BRIDGES
Tremendous Load Capacity
Strong, Dependable Wood or Steel Decks
Quick and Efficient Setup
Prompt Delivery
Applicability of the use of salvaged railroad car chassis as bridges.
Jim Dobbas Inc. coordinates bridge projects with local engineering companies. (See list) Over the past 15 years JDI has worked with engineers on the placement of approximately 300 bridges.

Projects have included a four by two railcar bridge spanning the Bear River, a three by two railcar bridge over the Tuolumne River, and numerous bridges over the Truckee and the Carson Rivers. Other projects have included an entry bridge to a ready mix plant, serving 60,000lb concrete trucks running at three minute intervals and a gravel pit with triple trailer assemblies weighing 120,000lbs, running every thirty seconds.

Due to the custom design nature of a bridge project prices cannot be quoted on this web page. Please contact the JDI Antelope Facility for further information.

A registered civil or structural engineer experienced in structural design and analysis should evaluate each and every structure being considered for a public or private bridge.

Bridge Project for a Pulte Homes Subdivision
Two 62' Railroad Flatcars were used in a side-by-side application to provide a pedestrian bridge and an equestrian crossing for a wetlands nature preserve. Enhancements made to the bridge included railings, modified width, asphalt decking and paint to compliment the landscape.

Pedestrian Access for Special Events
Designed for Dirt Diggers annual Hangtown Motocross Event in May 2006; Railroad flatcar provides flyover pedestrian walkway.

Flatcar Bridges for Heavy Equipment
Railroad flatcars make an excellent temporary bridge. JDI clients, DeSilva Gates and Teichert Construction have used flatcars during construction to provide heavy equipment access over waterways or culverts.

Wheels to Anchors
Wheel sets can be cut in half and used to make marine anchors.

Coats and Ties
Tie plates and railroad spikes make an excellent coat rack for the office or home.

Bridge Brings Winter Relief
In Sheridan, CA, JDI completed a Flatcar Bridge Project that produced a haul bridge for Patterson Sand and Gravel capable of handling loads up to 180,000 lbs. The construction consisted of eight 62' Flatcars to produce a span of 248'and a width of 21'. Completion of the project gave our client access to their property 12 months out of the year instead of 8.

An Auto Auction
In Tracy, CA JDI constructed a single span Railcar bridge three 62' flatcars wide.
Enhancements made to the Railcar Bridge included Cal Trans guardrails, epoxy paint, and an asphalt surface.

Bridges Compliment Landscapes
JDI working with our client completed a Railcar Bridge for a lake crossing on an exclusive estate in Northern CA. The width was modified to 16' using a single 62' Flatcar. Additional enhancements were made to the flatcar including, handrails, extensions, timber wheel bumpers, an overlay of 3" asphalt, and an epoxy paint complimenting the landscape.

Used Railroad Ties are available in three different grades. Dimensions vary depending upon the type of tie, for example mainline, switch or siding ties. Railroad ties can be used in landscaping, embankment work or for fence posts. Treated and untreated timbers are also available at the Antelope Facility and can be used for building open beam ceilings in homes (untreated), to shoring and blocking of large construction projects (treated).

Used railroad ties and treated or untreated timbers range in size and price. For more detailed information and pricing please call the JDI Antelope Facility.

We have a wide variety of Freight car parts available in the following categories at the JDI Antelope Facility:
Air Brake Systems
Brake Components
Draft Gears
Cushion Devices
Truck Parts- Ride Control & Barber
Coupler & Parts
Wheel & Axle Assemblies

Relay track materials, rail and OTM (other track materials) are available upon request at the JDI Antelope Facility.

2011 Jim Dobbas, Inc. All rights reserved. Website design by Cake Farm
Pinerog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 91648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
If it's an abandoned rail line, I doubt the railroad is going to care.
Not necessarily, unless it has been turned over to couty/city/state it is only decomishioned, the row still belongs to the railroad, and with that, all the bits and pieces lying there.
Around here, after being abandoned forever and a day, rail companies are now ripping up and stripping their decomisioned lines of anything and everything rail related.

Alex.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 55549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinerog View Post
Home | Sitemap | Contact

About JDI
About Jim Dobbas, Inc.
Antelope Facility

Used Railroad Ties are available in three different grades. Dimensions vary depending upon the type of tie, for example mainline, switch or siding ties. Railroad ties can be used in landscaping, embankment work or for fence posts. Treated and untreated timbers are also available at the Antelope Facility and can be used for building open beam ceilings in homes (untreated), to shoring and blocking of large construction projects (treated).

Used railroad ties and treated or untreated timbers range in size and price. For more detailed information and pricing please call the JDI Antelope Facility.

Relay track materials, rail and OTM (other track materials) are available upon request at the JDI Antelope Facility.

2011 Jim Dobbas, Inc. All rights reserved. Website design by Cake Farm
I think Jim Dobbas is going to be your source. They are on North Antelope, South end of Roseville rail yard.

Its not a Jeep, and dont even think of calling it a Scout!
SonicDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
RCL
Wheeler

Member # 175677
Gerdau Ameristeel has a plant that makes spikes in Sand Springs, Oklahoma and maybe other locations.
Anything that is off spec or secondary is probably remelted.
Best bet would probably be some of the short line railroads if there are any in your area. They replace and repair track regularly and could be a good source.
RCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 39414
Quote:
I can't help with the spikes but I wonder how they would feel about me recycling the 20' of track they left on some private property I have access to. It has got to weigh a metric shit ton. They used the property as a staging area when they were doing track maint. and they left behind all kinds of shit. sorry, I have only found a couple of the spikes like you are looking for and you cant have them.
Used track makes a hell of an anvil if you have a smaller piece, i.e. about a foot in legnth.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19015
Send a message via AIM to jays68yak Send a message via Yahoo to jays68yak
I have some that I was going to use for a project but never got around to it. I want to say I have 12-18.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Hoghead

Member # 27141
Willing to pay for shipping?

I bet I can find a few over the course of a few trips.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Nobody's gonna take it unless you have letterhead from the rail company saying it's yours to scrap, learned that the hard way myself.