Boating season 2012 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 46933
Boating season 2012

All you FL fawkers need not respond

Looks like we may actually put in early again this year, what with the warm weather and all, and I have a laundry list of things to complish:

Sand and barrier coat
Balance/reposition the port prop shaft
re-bed the prop shaft strut beds
rebuild the starboard carb
install new drinkin' water pump
Polish/wax whole damn thing
kick myself in the ass for buying a big damn boat.

How's ya'lls look?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 202663
It cant be worse than last years outlook at this time

ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99761
I've got a $2,800 jet driven aluminum jon boat. Maintenance be damned, it's been in the water 3 Saturdays every month for the past 10 months.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23810
Come awn SUMMERTIME !! We dont open the Marina for 2 more months but I cant wait !! The older I get the more I can do without wintertime!! My Lake looked like this yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
My insurance will let me launch the boat back in the water in march

www.Dixiecrawlers.com
TN-D90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
I dont know Ill have to ask Dad...

Better than owning a boat,.... knowing someone who does.

Seriously though, we need to work on the steering, its either too loose or too tight, cant find a happy medium.

Got to do an water pump impeller on the one engine and rewire the fuel pump on the other. Did an end of the season quick fix out on the water last year, need to do it right.

Also need to fix the fresh water pump, it broke loose of its mount and tore the wires all out.

And need to track down the elc draw from the batter switch, been going on 2 years now for this one. its a random problem so it makes it even more of a pain to track down.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Anglo Waste

Member # 72949
It'll be 2013 for us.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Infected

Member # 1041
Send a message via MSN to papee Send a message via Yahoo to papee
Air cooled no prop in the water. I take my prop off and take the battery out for the winter. Spring I put the prop back on, battery, and change the oil and I'm ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
You are surprised a cop was abusing his power?
papee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tool slinger

Member # 77101
First week of March, 4 days on the North Platte in Wyoming, going to be colder than a bitch but why not, right?

Name:  driftboat MM.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  106.8 KB

YETI Coolers
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
a plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Creepy, Old Stalker

Member # 2059
My lake.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Who?????

Member # 64846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chister View Post
My lake.

That sucks.

Try my soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend View Post
"Damn you Gutter Runner and your meddling tasty potato soup."
Gutter Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tool slinger

Member # 77101
Damn!

Is it looking any better for the coming year? Weather has been weird this year people are getting snow that never get it and our mountains (Colorado) have suffered, although it is getting better

YETI Coolers
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Creepy, Old Stalker

Member # 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
Damn!

Is it looking any better for the coming year? Weather has been weird this year people are getting snow that never get it and our mountains (Colorado) have suffered, although it is getting better

Nope. It's a LONG story.. but that lake is basically fucked. There are two more lakes upriver that are required to only let a certain amount out of their dams. Sadly, it all evaporates before it gets to our lake. It is only a rare occasion that we get water anymore.

That water USED to be almost 70 feet deep. It'll never be a lake again.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Bought a '73 Sunfish and '72 Minifish to teach the family how to sail this year. used to use them as a kid and loved them. They could use a new gelcoat on the bottom and my wife hates the yellow top the sunfish.

The sails are toast on both of them so I bought new ones just need to order new rigging. The rudders and dagger boards could use a sanding and revarnish. Going to try and get it all done before it is time to launch.

BassnTruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tool slinger

Member # 77101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chister View Post
Nope. It's a LONG story.. but that lake is basically fucked. There are two more lakes upriver that are required to only let a certain amount out of their dams. Sadly, it all evaporates before it gets to our lake. It is only a rare occasion that we get water anymore.

That water USED to be almost 70 feet deep. It'll never be a lake again.
That is amazing. I would assume there was a pretty good fish/ wildlife population with a lake that large. Did they clear it out? We had a few lakes up here that they drained to dredge them for weed problems, anglers had a ball "clearing them". Sorry for all the questions, fishing is life for me I tend to get obsessed.

YETI Coolers
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK PAGE

Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
I need to get on it. Vdrive and engine need to be attached and run on test stringers.
Attached Images

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html

Last edited by Old Scout; 02-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Creepy, Old Stalker

Member # 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
That is amazing. I would assume there was a pretty good fish/ wildlife population with a lake that large. Did they clear it out? We had a few lakes up here that they drained to dredge them for weed problems, anglers had a ball "clearing them". Sorry for all the questions, fishing is life for me I tend to get obsessed.
Technically, it still is a lake..

Historical high was at 101.85 feet in 1973.
It averaged 80 feet until 2001-2002. Since then it has been a pretty steady decline down to just 30.10 feet as of today.. and .. 30.10 is the all time record low. So low the water is below the municipal water pickups and they have stopped pumping for the city water.

They still let you recreate and fish on the lake, but its damn near a mud puddle.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 95939
All we need to do this year is take thew shrink wrap off and de winterize it! Thats so fucking awesome to say. Every year for the past 4 there has been some stupid shit issue and always with someone else like Yammie or the fiberglass guy. As of last year when it got wrapped everything was good to go.

Although employment issues could be the killer this year! Fuck .. shit!

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin View Post
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
schleprock

Member # 88698
I'll have to add gas and fill up the cooler, but aside from that it's ready to go. 2 smokes rule.

LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 95939

As of this time March of last year it looked like this. This bastard has 7 stringers! The boast is basically a surfboard that's flotation foam filled in between a 1.25" fiberglass hull and a deck. The bilge was poorly designed though which caused the bilge foam to sit in and soak up foam and caused the the tank to sit in water and the cross stringers to rot. So we pulled the rotten cross stringers, tank and bilge foam. Then we wire wheeled the wo middle bilge spans smooth and gel coated it all had the glass guy build platform to suspend the new 100 gallon tank above any bilge water and then vented it here.

To prevent water from running down the vent slots and filling the bilge there are diverters built in that direct it out weep holes. Up in the anchor cabin we put in ducts to attach blower fans that will run off solar power panels on top of the T-top to keep air flowing through the bilge and over and under the tank. We have yet to set that up though. All last year though the bilge stayed dryer than the deck was even in wet conditions. So we may not install them since we seem to be getting enough air flow through the vents as is.

We are not to concerned if water fills the bilge since we have several times been swamped by waves filling the boat to the gunnels with little effect. The boat is basically a surfboard with some structure on it. So it floats even if completely submerged.

The planing hulls is super efficient on gas and stable but can't cut through heavy waves fast. It is very stable though and is a very stable fishing and working platform.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 95939
The guy that did the glass work and designing of the vent system has been building ocean race boats for many decades. Though he is a PITA to deal with and really out there. I'm guessing from the many years of sucking down epoxy fumes.

In the end it cost way fucking way more than estimated but works better with the 1000+ lbs of removed water soaked foam.

We did a several hundred mile trip and burnt little more than 3/8 of a tank of fuel.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Well I've got a flex plate that is going out on mine. So I've got to pull my tranny and get a new flex plate in.

Then it's little cosmetic stuff. Gonna powerbuff the whole hull, and redo some vinyl in a few seats.
Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover...
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
We sold the project boat and have been tossing around the idea of buying another, unsure since Lake Travis is down 40'+ from the drought, all public boat ramps are long dry. We have other options, just bit of a longer drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.

Last edited by Joe_W; 02-15-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Joe_W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 50539
Send a message via Yahoo to hammerman94
My 383 is on the engine stand waiting on a killer deal on some aluminum heads......hope some come up soon!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 49424
I'm not sitting horrible, but not sitting good either. I'm replacing both motors, decided on a local shop and they are being built as we speak/type. I had all the seats re-upholstered, I'm doing the teak right now. also decided to pull all ground and battery related cables and replace them all. Plus a fluff and a buff. My major problem this year.....lost my job last Wednesday due to new management, they didn't like us old guys...our pay that is. I've got several interviews later this week, hopefully something pans out soon, or I'm sol for the season.

I'm in the process of buiding a website/forum that's brand specific for my model boat as things are starting to get tough to come by for these old girls, if your interested in checking it out, it's here...my build thread!

http://www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.co...a-291-Catalina