Dish Network Hopper and Joey - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2741
Dish Network Hopper and Joey

I officially have the very first install of a Hopper and Joey for Dish in Sonoma County.

I can say that the picture is NO better than the VIP622 or 722 or 922, but the HD in the second room with the Joey is great.

I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like the Joey is UHF RF still, HOWEVER, the box it came in does say that it's IR also, so maybe an aftermarket remote will work with it (I have an nice aftermarket remote but I haven't tried it yet because I let the battery die. I'll report back after it's charged.

Menu speed is definitely better, but not amazingly fast like I've seen in online videos. Not slow, but I heard one of the techs in the video saying it was almost too fast to read. I disagree.

Seems like the USB port for external HD might already be activated. I have to record something before I can test it.

They have a deal right now where you can add a sling receiver for 30 bucks. I recommend it.

Widgets that come with it are fairly lame so far. There might be more I can add, and the sports ones may be cool, but I'm not interested and haven't tried them.

It seems to use the same IR frequency as my old 622, so I didn't even have to reprogram my Harmony remote to start using it.

Any questions?
Schly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44136
I still can't figure out why they went with that dumbass name. And I am a retailer.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 125937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schly View Post
I officially have the very first install of a Hopper and Joey for Dish in Sonoma County.

I can say that the picture is NO better than the VIP622 or 722 or 922, but the HD in the second room with the Joey is great.

I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like the Joey is UHF RF still, HOWEVER, the box it came in does say that it's IR also, so maybe an aftermarket remote will work with it (I have an nice aftermarket remote but I haven't tried it yet because I let the battery die. I'll report back after it's charged.

Menu speed is definitely better, but not amazingly fast like I've seen in online videos. Not slow, but I heard one of the techs in the video saying it was almost too fast to read. I disagree.

Seems like the USB port for external HD might already be activated. I have to record something before I can test it.

They have a deal right now where you can add a sling receiver for 30 bucks. I recommend it.

Widgets that come with it are fairly lame so far. There might be more I can add, and the sports ones may be cool, but I'm not interested and haven't tried them.

It seems to use the same IR frequency as my old 622, so I didn't even have to reprogram my Harmony remote to start using it.

Any questions?
Never heard of it. Current Dish customer for about 4-5 years.

I'll have to check it out. HD on my bedroom tv would be cool.

Thanks
dntsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post
Never heard of it. Current Dish customer for about 4-5 years.

I'll have to check it out. HD on my bedroom tv would be cool.

Thanks
It is their whole home DVR system. You can have up 4 HD tv's tied into the same DVR. It has a 2 terabyte hard drive, but only half of that works like your traditional DVR. The other half auto records the network primetime shows.

EDIT: If you want to upgrade, you should be able to do it pretty cheap or free if you have a higher programing package. Also, you shouldn't have to do any major rewiring if your technician knows what he is doing.

Last edited by Snowbird13; 03-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2741
I was told by the manager that the offer behind the scenes is anywhere from 99 dollars to free and that it just depends on who you talk to.

Checked this AM and my Blockbuster and OnDemand services are now working. My sling adapter features started working about 1 1/2 hours after install. Primetime recorded last night. Really nice.

The Hopper has some really nice features, and a remote that has the 4 colored buttons.

I had the installer, the installers Manager, and the Manager's Manager all at my house for the install because they all wanted to see it working.

They told me I was the very first install in Sonoma County.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 83110
Well shit just got an install not 2 weeks ago and they upgrade there shit. I think i have the 722 and the only complaint i have is if two things are recording the that takes down two tv's now instead of just one previously.
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Well shit just got an install not 2 weeks ago and they upgrade there shit. I think i have the 722 and the only complaint i have is if two things are recording the that takes down two tv's now instead of just one previously.
The Hopper will still do that IF you have PrimeTime Anytime turned on. That only leave two tuners left to watch or record with.

PTAT can be turned off, though.

And you should call them if your other TV's are HD. 722 doesn't do HD on second TV.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 83110
thanks for the heads up ill see if they will work with me.
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
thanks for the heads up ill see if they will work with me.
x2 thanks dude.

My 2 year with DISH just expired so its time to start working them against DTV.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 44136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
x2 thanks dude.

My 2 year with DISH just expired so its time to start working them against DTV.
Good luck. You are better off to switch. They give the best deals to new customers(both dish and direct do this).

Last edited by Snowbird13; 03-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 27199
Well when we had dish I wanted to upgrade to HD. They told me some crazy ass amount like $400.00 or something(its been at least 5 years) I just said OK I want to cancel. Got the whole upgrade for free.
bigzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Just saw the commercial for the hopper and look forward to moving to our new house so I can get this setup. Be sweet to have hd in my bedroom as we have run that tv off the DVr (722)
camo is offline   Reply With Quote