Good beginer motorcycle?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 208816
Good beginer motorcycle??

I'm looking to get my motorcycle license and take a rider safety course here shortly and was just wondering what are some good, reliable older bikes to start on? I have ridden motorcycles a couple of times in the past but never more than just a spin around the block on some friends bikes. I am looking for something older and cheap (under $1,500) so if I do drop it or anything it's not gonna be a huge deal. I like cruiser style bikes and would prefer to stay under a 750cc most likely because I am going to be learning and this also gonna mainly be for saving gas and wear and tear on my JK. I really like the older shadows, viragos, vulcans and such. I appreciate any help or info anybody can give. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Send a message via AIM to LucasFury
Whichever one you want.

Buying a small underpowered bike to learn on when you ultimately want something with more power is a mistake. Don't learn to unlearn, and don't spend money twice (at least not right away.)
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up their shit.
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
White Trash Fab

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
Buy a liter bike and get real good at riding it or real good at crashing it.

The "Trifecta"
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027210
DirtyGirl build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...irty-girl.html
smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Quote:
Originally Posted by smewhtguy View Post
Buy a liter bike and get real good at riding it or real good at crashing it.
Yeah!

Don't make me tell the "I once saw a 16yo buy a brand new Hyabusa" story again. I know I've told it at least 3 times here.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up their shit.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Dumb Bastard

Member # 34281
Send a message via Yahoo to keller
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasFury View Post
Yeah!

Don't make me tell the "I once saw a 16yo buy a brand new Hyabusa" story again. I know I've told it at least 3 times here.
no time like the 4th time.

Shop build Thread
91 Tracker--38s--Doubler--Build Thread
05 CTD reg cab 6speed

emiller22207 is a huge pile of inhuman shit.

keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller View Post
no time like the 4th time.

So, I was at a Suzuki dealership right after the new generation of Hyabusa came out, '04 maybe? A 16yo kid came in with his mom, knowing that that was the bike he was gonna leave on. I heard the conversation the sales guy had with this kid and his mom, the sales guy told them both it wasn't a good idea, the mom looked like a doe, the kid KNEW he was good to go. The kid had no real experience, went to a BRC that rents out the little 500CC bikes, and had never had a bike of his own. This 'Busa was gonna be his first. Horrible idea. Sales guys walked it out of the storefront, gave it to the kid in the parking lot, kid got on and tore off down the road.

He made it about 50 yards before spilling it and totaling the bike. There was not a look of surprise in the whole parking lot. The kid was ok, I don't know what happened after that.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 208816
Wow, that's just retarded and with that stupid of parenting that kid is probably six feet under somewhere by now. That's exactly what I DON'T want though hence the reason I wanna start small. It's not gonna be a highway bike or two up bike either, just me going to work and back and some short rides on days off.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Honestly, this isn't the place to ask this question. You're gonna hear a lot of responses like post #2, and that kind of thinking creates a great parts market when people crash bikes they cant handle. Go onto an actual bike forum like Sportbikes.net and the answers will tend to be a bit different. responsible and experienced riders tend to give the more cautious advise, because they typically want to see people get into the hobby safely and not end up getting scared away by a crash, or getting killed in one.

You didn't say what kinda bike you like but the Ninja 250 and 500 are both great reliable bikes that are easy to learn on, and the older 250s are both cheap and hold their value well. Pick one up, ride it for a year, sell it for what you paid. The suzuki SV650 is another decent, and very popular one that's a step up in power from the little ninjas.

I dont know much about cruisers, but my mom had a 600cc Honda shadow for a while that would make a good learner. Very smooth and easy to ride, but not a great freeway bike.

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajkrubi View Post
Wow, that's just retarded and with that stupid of parenting that kid is probably six feet under somewhere by now. That's exactly what I DON'T want though hence the reason I wanna start small. It's not gonna be a highway bike or two up bike either, just me going to work and back and some short rides on days off.
Like I said, any of the bikes you mentioned will be fine. Those small Jap bikes make for cool customs too.

If you jump quick, you could probably still find an 883 Sportster for pretty cheap. ..Then you just gotta dump ~$1k into it to convert it to 1200 down the road.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
Honestly, this isn't the place to ask this question. You're gonna hear a lot of responses like post #2, and that kind of thinking creates a great parts market when people crash bikes they cant handle.

You didn't say what kinda bike you like but the Ninja 250 and 500 are both great reliable bikes that are easy to learn on, and the older 250s are both cheap and hold their value well. Pick one up, ride it for a year, sell it for what you paid. The suzuki SV650 is another decent, and very popular one that's a step up in power from the little ninjas.

I dont know much about cruisers, but my mom had a 600cc Honda shadow for a while that would make a good learner. Very smooth and easy to ride, but not a great freeway bike.
He definitely did say what kinda bike he likes, even with examples.

Also, I don't want anyone to think I was recommending starting on a race-ready liter bike. There's really no reason not to start on a big twin HD though, if that's what he ultimately wants. (not that I'm saying that is what he wants, just using it as an example.)

Last edited by LucasFury; 03-17-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Quote:
stay under a 750cc most likely because I am going to be learning and this also gonna mainly be for saving gas and wear and tear on my JK. I really like the older shadows, viragos, vulcans and such.
I see nothing wrong with your plan. Find something that is as low of mileage and as new as possible in your budget.

If you want to buy the bike to ride and not work on, when looking, if it won't start don't buy it. You want something that is capable of riding away at the point of sale.

A super low mileage bike that is old may not be a good deal. A carbureted bike needs to be ridden somewhat regularly to stay in good operational condition.

edit: For a small cruiser, a 750cc will be able to maintain highway speeds, not sure about anything smaller than that.
lttlbddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasFury View Post
There's really no reason not to start on a big twin HD though, if that's what he ultimately wants.
Except for his $1500 budget.
lttlbddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 110135
My first street bike was a Harley Sportster. The low end grunt made it really easy for me to learn the slow stuff to pass the road test. The year was 1978:

Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bipedal 'Poccylyps

Member # 107403
[QUOTE=pajkrubi;14147885]I'm looking to get my motorcycle license and take a rider safety course here shortly [QUOTE]

That's all I need to hear. Buy the biggest, fastest, meanest bike you can afford. It'll either make you a rider or it'll make you one of those people who used to ride, but found another hobby.

I'm mostly serious. The rider safety course won't teach you much, but it's great for insurance purposes. Experience... that's a hell of a teacher. Your budget, unless you're really lucky, will probably land you on something that will teach you how to ride AND work on bikes too.

Last edited by jettscott; 03-17-2012 at 04:54 PM.
jettscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
The old 500ish Ninjas are a great starter. And you can probably spend six months on it & resell it for little loss.

An underpowered cruiser will do nothing but disappoint.

Personally, the good middle of the road would be an '80s Honda Magna C700 or 750. Great bike. You'll get a couple years out of something like that, but I don't consider many others to be in that power to weight, riding position, handling class.

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 170398
my 06 600 shadow 39hp 4 speed lol small easy to maneuver. tops out at about 90mph but still faster than a 5.3 ex cab 6speed auto silverado from 0-60mph.
60mpg is what i get with a windshield.

i am 6'2" 260lbs and it is a little bit small but i still can ride an entire tank out before i feel cramped, the 750s are a bigger frame.
81taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 104966
Find an old mid 80's Honda V65 Magna. Those bikes were tits. Easy to ride and plenty of power.

bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 39143
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajkrubi View Post
Kid I went to HS with got a V6 Probe for his 16th b-day from his grandparents. He totaled it within a matter of months, I think wrapped it around a phone pole. They bought him another, lasted a while, until he put it on its roof in a ditch. They bought him another, I forget how long that one lasted before he wrecked it, this time he was a paraplegic. Fuckin' brilliant.

My first bike was a Yamaha XJ700. It was no sportbike, but it wasn't a bitch either. Someone else did me the honor of wrecking it, and I bought an FZ6, pretty much a de-tuned, de-crotch-rocketed R6. I've never had an issue with either of them, because I don't ride like a damn moron. If you do, you could get in trouble on a 250cc cruiser... it'd just take more effort than a more powerful one.
locotaco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 117771
Katana 600 ??? Reliable, sporty fun.....
montecarlo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlbddy View Post
Yeah, there is that.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Big Meanie

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlbddy View Post

I started on a Suzuki GT250. It was a 2 stroke, so it was more like a 400.

I rode it hard, and fast.

Didn't ride again for 20 years.

Bought a 750.

Now, I'd go for a big twin. I'm leaning towards a Victory, but a Harley would work.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

Ventura County Axle Snappers - Nevada County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Bought a yamaha 650 to ride because the wife wanted something she would be good to go alone on, turns out she doesnt like riding by herself around all these shithead door slammers

It has no issue keeping up on the hwy and doing everything we ask it too, two up all day long from the valley to reno and such. Vstar.

I Like Bright Colors

Romans 1:28-32

Matthews 7:15-20

John 14

Surah 109

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 64838
Look around for an old Yamaha V Star, cheap and bulletproof, see them on Craigs List all the time...
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 65664
I started with a virago. That bike was the biggest pos ever. they are notorious for charging and starting problems that have workarounds at best, no real solutions. Another vote for a ninja 250 if you want to learn how to push a bike. If you honestly want a cruiser the honda v4 bikes are great. I picked up a 1984 vf500 (same as the magnas, but in a sportbike) for $260 last month. It's a minor fixer but runs like a little sewing machine.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Honestly I would find something you like and learn on it, it doesn't matter what size it is, but I sure wouldn't get something under 500cc's and expect it to get out of its own way.

I've been riding all my life, take the time practice in your yard, set up cones, etc. It really isn't that hard. Your problem will be all the other idiots trying to kill you as you drive everyday.