So what is gonna happen with the Neighborhood Watch shooting? - Page 51 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #1251 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Until facts start exchanging hands, the prosecution has the physical evidence that either backs up or works against zimmerman's story.

The defense has Zimmerman's side of the story.

As I said earlier, if the prosecution's story isn't strong they wouldn't have charged 2nd degree.

Of course, I could don some tinfoil. Prosecutor lady concludes that Zimmerman is in the clear, tells her superiors, they fear riots. So, she agrees to "fall on a sword" and bring him to trial that will find him not guilty, several months later after people cool off. She get's canned or quits due to public outcry and brought in to Obama's staff.

Don't recall anyone saying they had to be obeyed. BUT HE WAS A FUCKING DUMBASS FOR NOT TAKING THEIR ADVICE! Had he listened to them and heeded their advice, he wouldn't be in this situation now.

But... I know... you're part of the vigilante squad that feels you have the authorization and right to question anyone in your area that doesn't fit.

Wrong again....the prosecution can't hide evidence until court. The defense has a right to know every peace of evidence the prosecution has.
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #1252 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ILBURNER View Post
They threw the Murder2 charge out there to passify the masses that are calling for blood, there is no way they can convict him of that unless there is substantial evidence that has yet to be revealed.
I can see them angling for a plea down to manslaughter, it will be interesting to see his defense strategy.
I agree - and the fact that they let him go in the first place pretty much tells me they don't have some super secret magic-bullet evidence to roll out.

If I were his defense attorney, based on what I see now - I'd not be doing any bargaining and hold my ground that my client is not only innocent, but acted in self defense well within his rights.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1253 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Send a message via MSN to gipper Send a message via Yahoo to gipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ILBURNER View Post
They threw the Murder2 charge out there to passify the masses that are calling for blood, there is no way they can convict him of that unless there is substantial evidence that has yet to be revealed.
I can see them angling for a plea down to manslaughter, it will be interesting to see his defense strategy.
My strategy would be to say "okay, prove it", and then ask the jurors how plausible the prosecution's scenario was given the actual evidence.

Assuming there's no additional evidence, there should be an acquittal without much at all from the defense.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #1254 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
please don't insert any facts when travis is trying to convict someone...
I'm not trying to convict anyone, my point this entire time is that there isn't enough information to know for sure what went down.

YOU guys are the ones convicting Martin of committing some action that warranted his death without even knowing for sure what happened or how it started.

Just because I point out that Zimmerman may have been in a frame of mind that doesn't match your perception of reality doesn't mean I believe it.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1255 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper View Post
He's cracked. He's in a daze and not listening to his attorneys. The first pair saw the warning signs and got out while they could. This guy may put himself in jail yet.
Probably - but I still think the previous lawyers *were* in touch with him, and DID get him steered in the right direction before they bailed. There is just no other reason for the lawyers to announce on TV they are quitting, unless that was orchestrated too.

BTW - I like the new lawyer from what I saw of him this morning... he's not in your face, and I think that is the image they need, someone firm but softer spoken to again portray the "average guy just trying to do right" image. Having your legal defense go on the offensive here is not the way to win hearts and minds.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."

Last edited by DRM; 04-12-2012 at 08:11 AM.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1256 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
Wrong again....the prosecution can't hide evidence until court. The defense has a right to know every peace of evidence the prosecution has.
Technically you're right. But hiding/delaying production of evidence is a favorite pass time of prosecutors.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1257 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Please point out where I said the prosecution could hide evidence from the defense until court.

Well... go ahead.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1258 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Probably - but I still think the previous lawyers *were* in touch with him, and DID get him steered in the right direction before they bailed. There is just no other reason for the lawyers to announce on TV they are quitting, unless that was orchestrated too.

BTW - I like the new lawyer from what I saw of him this morning... he's not in your face, and I think that is the image they need, someone firm but softer spoken to again portray the "average guy just trying to do right" image. Having your legal defense go on the offensive here is not the way to win hearts and minds.
He's a better client manager for sure.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #1259 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Just as they have the right to tell you to fuck off. But you made it clear PAGES ago that Martin didn't have that right in Zimmerman's neighborhood. I'll paraphrase, said DRM, "If he would have just answered his questions this wouldn't have happened".

He was told during his pursuit they didn't need him to do that. From his 911 call, is that he agreed to meet the police at the mail boxes, then asked to have the responding call him so he could tell him where he is at.

Doesn't sound like someone waiting at mailboxes to me.

Please point out any fact anywhere that states Zimmerman even spoke to Martin...I'll be waiting.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1260 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Please point out any fact anywhere that states Zimmerman even spoke to Martin...I'll be waiting.
I'm not the one that made that assertion pages back - your buddies in this thread did.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #1261 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Please point out where I said the prosecution could hide evidence from the defense until court.

Well... go ahead.
Sure as hell read that way to me.

Until facts start exchanging hands, the prosecution has the physical evidence that either backs up or works against zimmerman's story.

As I said earlier, if the prosecution's story isn't strong they wouldn't have charged 2nd degree.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #1262 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
I'm not the one that made that assertion pages back - your buddies in this thread did.
And you are running with it...no?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #1263 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
I'm not trying to convict anyone, my point this entire time is that there isn't enough information to know for sure what went down.

YOU guys are the ones convicting Martin of committing some action that warranted his death without even knowing for sure what happened or how it started.

Just because I point out that Zimmerman may have been in a frame of mind that doesn't match your perception of reality doesn't mean I believe it.
That's an out right lie.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #1264 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper View Post
My strategy would be to say "okay, prove it", and then ask the jurors how plausible the prosecution's scenario was given the actual evidence.

Assuming there's no additional evidence, there should be an acquittal without much at all from the defense.
Exactly. If they can't prove it beyond all reasonable doubt he walks without having to have a defense at all. Murder 2 is going to be beyond hard to prove with that 911 call, and the evidence so far.
JediJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #1265 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJesus View Post
Exactly. If they can't prove it beyond all reasonable doubt he walks without having to have a defense at all. Murder 2 is going to be beyond hard to prove with that 911 call, and the evidence so far.
I predict a guilty charge... reversed on appeal.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #1266 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
I predict a guilty charge... reversed on appeal.
I doubt it gets that far honestly, hopefully the defense calls for mistrial and never gets a conviction. The jury pool is obviously tainted with the media exposure. It'll go before the supreme court next year.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #1267 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping:14246234
Quote:

Well... go ahead.
Sure as hell read that way to me.

Then you are allowing your prejudices cloud your judgement.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #1268 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Quote:
HOLY HELL!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #1269 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132056
Quote:
Has he been arraigned? Submitted a plea? The prosecution doesn't have any info the defense doesn't have, the way you wrote that made it sound like they had something the defense didn't, hence "hiding" it. That's grounds for dismissal if they don't present the evidence before trial. Even "new" evidence if they don't give the defense adequate time to review and defend against.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #1270 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
He was told during his pursuit they didn't need him to do that. From his 911 call, is that he agreed to meet the police at the mail boxes, then asked to have the responding call him so he could tell him where he is at.

Doesn't sound like someone waiting at mailboxes to me.
From the rest of that call, he said (paraphrased) I'd rather not say outloud where I am going to be 'cause I don't know where he is at, he may be listening in.

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1271 (permalink)
Overbear is a coward

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I agree - and the fact that they let him go in the first place pretty much tells me they don't have some super secret magic-bullet evidence to roll out.
The FL Stand Your Ground law requires that the burden of proof be on the prosecution, so until they had enough evidence or had time to properly vet the evidence, they could not charge him. It seems to me that there was not a lot of opportunity for evidence to be generated, as the whole episode played out fairly quickly.

Nevada has a Stand Your Ground law as well, but the burden of proof is on the person invoking the self defense claim.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1272 (permalink)
Sue
Rock God

Member # 13743
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
From the rest of that call, he said (paraphrased) I'd rather not say outloud where I am going to be 'cause I don't know where he is at, he may be listening in.
I keep wondering what is plan was if he did find Martin.

EDIT: Not that it really matters, just wondering what his intention was

Last edited by Sue; 04-12-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #1273 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Damn...I can't decide if you're just stupid or trolling.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #1274 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
The FL Stand Your Ground law requires that the burden of proof be on the prosecution, so until they had enough evidence or had time to properly vet the evidence, they could not charge him. It seems to me that there was not a lot of opportunity for evidence to be generated, as the whole episode played out fairly quickly.

Nevada has a Stand Your Ground law as well, but the burden of proof is on the person invoking the self defense claim.
No. They could "arrest", and actually did put him in cuffs in question. The obvious issue is that all of the initial evidence pointed to a good shoot. That's why he wasnt charged.

Same issue in Nevada, regardless of law. You'll be arrested and charged only if you're suspected of an actual crime.

That's just a legal garble you posted of a number of different issues. Arrest and charging is separate from burden of proof.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1275 (permalink)

Member # 19304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I keep wondering what is plan was if he did find Martin.

EDIT: Not that it really matters, just wondering what his intention was
Give His interactions with the last few burglars, I'd guess he'd ask him what he was up to