Come Scooter, come! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74936
Come Scooter, come!

After my daughters epic battle, and win, with cancer we got a family dog 2 years ago. Scooter is the first dog I have ever owned as a adult. I thought I hated dogs but it turns out that some of them are the most awesome pets in the world, I will never be without a dog again.

Scooter was a rescue dog that we got when he was right around a year old. From the get go Scooter has been great, loves people, doesn't bark, is not aggressive to the point you could take the food out of his mouth without any worry. He learns tricks like roll over, high five, sit, etc. as quickly as he can figure out what you want him to do.

His only "problem" is when I let him off leash he sometimes goes into his own "I must smell this spot" and will not come when I call him. He acts like he can't hear or see me at all while he continues to smell anything that looks like another dog could of pissed on it. This is only a problem for 10-20% of the time we are out as he mostly sticks close to me.

So wtf do I do to correct this issue? The dog is absolutely awesome and willing to please, I just need to shake him of this "I'm ignoring you" feature. I'm not against buying him a shock collar, but then again I don't want to spend $$$ on something I don't need. WTF do I do to get this dog to come the first time, every time?
Attached Images

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kaylaarmstrong
I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52202
The solution is 'light' collar conditioning.
jensenkennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
damn flatbillers and their evil pitbulls...

Our great pyr does that. well, except the learning tricks part.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116537
Get a long nylon rope (100 ft.) tied to his collar and let him roam. Once he gets to smelling and ignoring you, draw up the slack in the rope, call him, wait a second, and give the rope a good, short tug to get his attention--a good enough tug to pull his nose off whatever he's sniffing. Repeat over the course of a week and two and he should be cured. At least, it's always worked for me.
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
IDIot!

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
Get a long nylon rope (100 ft.) tied to his collar and let him roam. Once he gets to smelling and ignoring you, draw up the slack in the rope, call him, wait a second, and give the rope a good, short tug to get his attention--a good enough tug to pull his nose off whatever he's sniffing. Repeat over the course of a week and two and he should be cured. At least, it's always worked for me.
^^^^
This.

Or borrow an electric collar.
You don't need to send him to his knees. Often just a tingle is enough to remind him that the Alpha Male has "long arms"!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 109061
Our lab does this, and I've found that calling with something he absolutely cannot ignore, is working. In our case, we use a whistle like a playground or gym teacher uses to get his attention. We've trained him to come when he hears it, and we reinforce with a treat when he gets to us. It seems to be loud/obnoxious enough that it breaks the fixation on things. The sound also carries very well, and since we walk in the woods a lot, he can be out of sight and will still return when the thing is blown.

I imagine you could do the same thing with shock collar, but a whistle is like $1.50 at Wally World.

Jake

Last edited by memphisrain; 03-30-2012 at 08:11 AM.
memphisrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13807
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
yeah this I agree. also he's a lab mix treats will work great

pull in him "good boy" and give him a treat each time and he'll never ignore you again
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109423
Quote:
x10. this is the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenMonster View Post
Two things an honest man will lie about is their sex life and their fuel millage. Know dat.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 67681
That is a good dog. I'm pretty cautious around dogs that I don't know, but I had my face in his within about an hour of being around him. He's a good looking dog, too.

Please help Mike (Kayla's dad) to take care of their family. PayPal here: mike@agoodcontractor.com
rugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74936
Scooter is a good dog. I'll try the 100' rope thing and see if that works. Makes sense, I'll report back in two weeks.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kaylaarmstrong
I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17311
Quote:
This. I employed the command "Leave It!" in conjunction with this and now I can use the command sans leash with no problem.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 168660
We bought a E collar for our American Bulldog. Did some basic "bending" training with him and now all it takes is the praise tone to let him know what to do. He may get the buzz once a week, if that. Also he is out in the yard with us 4-5 hours everyday so he has distractions around a lot. The training took maybe 3 hours tops. He is a changed beast.
bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote